Coronavirus (COVID-19)

43 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
48 minutes ago, The Moonster said:
Why did I get two vaccines if we're just going to impose restrictions every time the cases go up?

When did we do that. Today was a new record high in the case level, I must have missed the restrictions being reintroduced. Can you tell us that missed that what restrictions were announced today ?

He was blatantly responding to another poster who was talking hypothetically about having restrictions reimposed. 

Why do you have to be such a dick about it when responding to a post like this?

Home Nations Daily update  :  UK Average 327.4 to 334.4 up 2.14%, England  324.2 to 326.6 up 0.74%, Wales 302.2 to 320.5 up 6.05%, Northern Ireland  574.2 to 598.9 up 4.30%

Cornwall & Scilly Isles overtake West Dunbartonshire.  May be more tourists in that neck of the woods ?

174 Deaths today.

England set to become the country with best infection rates from tomorrow.

Northern Ireland chasing down Georgia as they go 2nd in the world for infections.

1 hour ago, williemillersmoustache said:

I'm not blaming folk, well other than the ones who are obviously at it and throwing homophobia about, I just disagree. We're coming to the end of summer, the hospitals are busy as f**k, the nurses and medics I know are properly strung out (worryingly so, like much worse than last year) the case rate is enormous and as far I can tell that's not a good position to be in.

Smaller numbers of cases getting seriously ill thanks to the vaccine is good news but if the case numbers are very high then the smaller percentages will play out as large and unmanageable numbers of patients and an unacceptable numbers of deaths. As if the numbers weren't already unacceptable enough.

I find the "if not know when" and "there must be an end point" arguments reductive. Often deliberately so. As if "learning to live with the virus" just means licking railings and pretending it doesn't matter or exist anymore. Learning to live with it means, in my opinion, accepting that reaching a level of infections/hospitalisations and deaths will require us to accept some restrictions on our way of life. Either imposed by legislation from government, by business to protect their staff and customers or because washing our hands, wearing a mask and keeping a distance from folk is the considerate thing to do.

I see @scottsdadargument about moving to common sense and individual responsibility and I'd love that to work. But that would require a unity of purpose and togetherness which just isn't there. Folk are doing, and will do out of spite, boredom, ignorance and a dislike of SG, whatever the f**k they like, and I fear this will lead to (further) disaster. If we wanted to do that, the Team5 Million thing, then we needed to have one government and one voice leading us. As it is we have one we elect who may have made errors but is trying and another which quite simply has never been arsed, other than when they realised how much money was up for grabs.

And yes it is different to last year. I went to the football the other week and everything.

Why did you go to the football?  The issues at the hospitals is obviously not worrying enough for you to not make the trip to the football.

4 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

It was played outside. Surprised you didn't know football usually is tbh. 

I thought you retired years ago!  Regarding outdoors, the Scottish Government still have a 5000 capacity limit where no exemptions are in-place.  They must still see potential for transmittal at these events through entry pinchpoints, toilets etc.  Of course people ignore these risks based on their own personal assessment in much the same way as you did.  How grown up we are.

7 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

It was played outside. Surprised you didn't know football usually is tbh. 

If you're confident it can't be caught outside and you pose no risk to the health services by being outside and watching football, why do you want more restrictions if cases/hospitalisations go up? Sporting events and nightclubs will absolutely be two of the first casualties should any restrictions return but by your own admission being outside poses no threat. 

52 minutes ago, The Master said:

In the same way that an increase in cases will not lead to a reintroduction of restrictions. Well done.

It is a blatant lie because the potential reintroduction of restrictions is entirely dependent on an increase in serious illness.

An increase in cases alone will not lead to a reintroduction of restrictions. 

No doubt Sturgeon or someone else in the SG will be calling them out for this “blatant lie”.

Give me a shout when they do.

In the meantime I think you need to log off for a while, crawl under your Nicola Sturgeon bedspread and have a wee nap.  You might be calmer and see how daft you’ve been when you wake up.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

If you're confident it can't be caught outside and you pose no risk to the health services by being outside and watching football, why do you want more restrictions if cases/hospitalisations go up? Sporting events and nightclubs will absolutely be two of the first casualties should any restrictions return but by your own admission being outside poses no threat. 

Nightclubs, in this country anyway are inside. This stuff is pretty basic lads.

2 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Nightclubs, in this country anyway are inside. This stuff is pretty basic lads.

You put a fairly reasoned post up earlier which I didn't agree with but respected that you'd tried to put across your point of view. I've now asked you two very reasonable questions about your post and you've ignored both of them, instead opting for the troll route. Do you care to answer the questions or are you just here for a bite?

1 hour ago, williemillersmoustache said:

I'm not blaming folk, well other than the ones who are obviously at it and throwing homophobia about, I just disagree. We're coming to the end of summer, the hospitals are busy as f**k, the nurses and medics I know are properly strung out (worryingly so, like much worse than last year) the case rate is enormous and as far I can tell that's not a good position to be in.

Smaller numbers of cases getting seriously ill thanks to the vaccine is good news but if the case numbers are very high then the smaller percentages will play out as large and unmanageable numbers of patients and an unacceptable numbers of deaths. As if the numbers weren't already unacceptable enough.

I find the "if not know when" and "there must be an end point" arguments reductive. Often deliberately so. As if "learning to live with the virus" just means licking railings and pretending it doesn't matter or exist anymore. Learning to live with it means, in my opinion, accepting that reaching a level of infections/hospitalisations and deaths will require us to accept some restrictions on our way of life. Either imposed by legislation from government, by business to protect their staff and customers or because washing our hands, wearing a mask and keeping a distance from folk is the considerate thing to do.

I see @scottsdadargument about moving to common sense and individual responsibility and I'd love that to work. But that would require a unity of purpose and togetherness which just isn't there. Folk are doing, and will do out of spite, boredom, ignorance and a dislike of SG, whatever the f**k they like, and I fear this will lead to (further) disaster. If we wanted to do that, the Team5 Million thing, then we needed to have one government and one voice leading us. As it is we have one we elect who may have made errors but is trying and another which quite simply has never been arsed, other than when they realised how much money was up for grabs.

And yes it is different to last year. I went to the football the other week and everything.

Are you Jason Leitch? 

Just read Sturgeon’s comments.  Sensible and balanced as I would expect from a responsible and accountable political leader.  Some of the responses on here exactly what I expect from edgy no-marks on social media.

Extract from the BBC website “She said that about half of all new cases were in people under the age of 25 with 34% of Tuesday's tally in the under 19s.”

If more in the lower age groups acted more responsibly and got vaccinated then the problem wouldn’t be so bad.

Edited by Granny Danger