Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I think it'll just be a plea to folk to get vaccinated.  You can't have lockdowns if folk are double vaxxed, otherwise we will be in lockdown forever, or until there's a change of government in Scotland.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Surely we know now that theres little point in locking down, since we can spend all the money in the world to drive it to zero, then it will just spring back up again immediately. As it goes up, it will come back down.

Yep, locking down again is a massive backwards step and surely the SG know it'll cost them votes.

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Yep, locking down again is a massive backwards step and surely the SG know it'll cost them votes.

We also can't lock down again now that the furlough taps have been turned off (or should it be "aff" if we're talking about taps?).

Every single business required to shut would go bust overnight. 

17 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I find it more disturbing that the powers have got folks all stirred up in the expectation that restrictions would return when more likely nothing will happen.

Where are you seeing that? All I'm getting from officials is steady as she goes and keep jabbing.

On lockdown, the question would have to be...why? Is the NHS in imminent danger of being overwhelmed? Are mortality levels unacceptably high? Is there a new risk that we are unaware of? Unless the answers are yes we should stay out of lockdown. However there is a significant minority who want a lockdown because of cases/variants/Long Covid stuff that is being pedalled. This guy, for instance, and his followers

5 minutes ago, The Master said:

We also can't lock down again now that the furlough taps have been turned off (or should it be "aff" if we're talking about taps?).

Every single business required to shut would go bust overnight. 

When does furlough end again? End of September?

When does furlough end again? End of September?

End of September I believe, so even a sudden crash wouldn’t work.

Anyone raging about us going back into lockdown is too focused on the infection rate, and not the hospitalisation or Death rates.

Specifically @welshbairn but may be of interest to some.

Decided to come to the UK after all and the conclusion I'm left with is that it's all a big scam. Mrs JB and I had to take a rapid antigen test at the airport in Milan before our flight. This was checked before we could fly along with the Passenger Locator Form. Did a Day 2 test in the UK but not sure if anything would have happened if I hadn't. Then needed to take another RA test before flying back which wasn't looked at during check in or on return to Milan. The PLF was scrutinised however. Now doing 5 days quarantine here where we're supposed to do ANOTHER RA test before we can be released but again no-one seems to be enforcing it so I'm not doing it. So we spent a total of 210 notes as of now with potentially another 60 if we take the release test. 

In short, a lot of hoops to jump through despite being fully vaccinated. Wild.

2 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Decided to come to the UK after all and the conclusion I'm left with is that it's all a big scam. Mrs JB and I had to take a rapid antigen test at the airport in Milan before our flight. This was checked before we could fly along with the Passenger Locator Form. Did a Day 2 test in the UK but not sure if anything would have happened if I hadn't. Then needed to take another RA test before flying back which wasn't looked at during check in or on return to Milan. The PLF was scrutinised however. Now doing 5 days quarantine here where we're supposed to do ANOTHER RA test before we can be released but again no-one seems to be enforcing it so I'm not doing it. So we spent a total of 210 notes as of now with potentially another 60 if we take the release test. 

I'm the same. It's all a complete unintegrated "be seen to be doing something" nonsense. Arrived in France yesterday, my vaccine form had a quick glance and my attestation form in France wasn't looked at. My pals I flew back to France with felt the same re: tests when they came back, none of the systems talk to each other and I'm not believing for a second the PLF Online Forms are being checked correctly. Pile of nonsense, and an expensive one at that (both for consumer and taxpayer!)

2 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

It's a load of unnecessary bollocks that people are raking in a fortune from, but glad you found your way through the maze and got your trip anyway. I had to do day 2 and 8 with 10 days quarantine, no quarantine checks at all.

2 minutes ago, TheBruce said:

Are hospitals being overwhelmed and not coping? Not according to the headlines, but what we do read is staff shortages across the UK and it doesn't appear governments are doing anything about

I haven't read any stories about hospitals being "unable to cope" since the daft rules about keeping healthcare staff who weren't ill off work were changed.

356 people in hospital, in the grand scheme of things, really isn't many at all.

Be interesting to see the number today, all the same - hopefully the end of the weekend sees a good number of people released from hospital.

11 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

I'm the same. It's all a complete unintegrated "be seen to be doing something" nonsense. Arrived in France yesterday, my vaccine form had a quick glance and my attestation form in France wasn't looked at. My pals I flew back to France with felt the same re: tests when they came back, none of the systems talk to each other and I'm not believing for a second the PLF Online Forms are being checked correctly. Pile of nonsense, and an expensive one at that (both for consumer and taxpayer!)

Don't know about the French PLF but most of them have a QR code with an algorithm that says you're OK, so they don't need more details. It's handy for flying into Scotland as it's an English form which means any old PCR testing firm will do, unless they pick you out for spot check on the details.

Edited by welshbairn

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Don't know about the French PLF but most of them have a QR code with an algorithm that says you're OK, so they don't need more details.

That was another thing. The Italians are insisting on a printed copy of the PLF despite the QR code. Absolutely ludicrous and it led to about 90% of the people on our flight having to hand complete it before being allowed through. Luckily I had mine printed. 

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The slogan "Reduce the risk and keep Scotland on track" is an odd one. How can we "keep Scotland on track" if we don't know what we are aiming for nor when we envisage getting there?

"Reduce the risk but not too much so as to keep Leitch's gravy train going"