Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Just had a quick skate through the last few days on here - a few noticeable absentees, which is a shame because I reckon Oaksoft could do with a bit of white knighting over the mask issue. Credit to TiG, mind, for the early attendance this morning. 

Searching through the thread to see if certain people have posted is a bit weird…

Bauld and Sturgeon are desperate for the JCVI advice to change.  This will be another "message to them".

JCVI probably more likely to fold to UK govt pressure when English kids return.

I do note the vaccine program for teens going well in certain places.

In Flanders, about 71% of children aged 12 to 15 years, and 80% of those in the 16-17 age group had received the first dose of a vaccine against the coronavirus (COVID-19) by 18 August, the Vaccination Task Force indicated on Saturday.

“The figures surprised us a bit,” the head of the Task Force, Dirk Ramaekers, said on Saturday at its weekly information session. “We thought the vaccination of the youths during the summer months would be gradual, but it’s certain that in Flanders, that’s happening at lightning speed.”

27 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
44 minutes ago, Steven W said:
Advocating restrictions (school closures) based on infections (not hospitalisastions or deaths) is a worrying mindset from someone so close to NS

Linda Bauld is "so close to NS" how exactly, not sure in what capacity that might be ?

She’s interim chair of the future pandemic group but I don’t think they have any remit to deal with Covid unless they’re blurring the boundaries between new threats and variants.

https://www.gov.scot/news/future-pandemic-expert-group-established/

51 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Steven W said:
Advocating restrictions (school closures) based on infections (not hospitalisastions or deaths) is a worrying mindset from someone so close to NS

Linda Bauld is "so close to NS" how exactly, not sure in what capacity that might be ?

On the same 5s team IMO.

Johnstone, Paisley and Renfrew will be hosting NHS drop-in clinics this week for anyone aged 16 and over who has not had their first COVID-19 vaccine.

The clinics will be in:

• Renfrew Leisure Centre – Tuesday 24 August, Sunday 29 August and Monday 30 August, 9am-4pm

• Johnstone Leisure Centre – Wednesday 25 August, Saturday 28 August and Sunday 29 August, 9am-4pm

• The Lagoon Leisure Centre, Paisley – Thursday 26 August, Saturday 28 August and Sunday 29 August, 9am-7pm

You can also come along to the clinics if you’ve waited more than 8 weeks for your second vaccine.

The clinics will be offering Pfizer to 16 to 39-year-olds and AstraZeneca to anyone aged 40 and over.

42 minutes ago, Snafu said:

When did they change their minds?

Going by what is happening now out there in the big bad world of Scotland I can assume this not to be the case.

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to mind read so I'm at a disadvantage here.

The want the JVCI to recommend that the vaccination program is opened up to 12-15 year olds. 

Catalonia surpasses 5 million people fully vaccinated

Catalonia has surpassed five million people fully inoculated with coronavirus vaccines, as reported by health authorities throughout the weekend.

Out of 7.7 million people living in Catalonia, 63.5% have received both doses, and 70.8% have been inoculated with at least one vaccine jab.

All age groups have at least 59% of their members with at least one vaccine dose. The only exceptions are teenagers aged 12 to 15, who became eligible three weeks ago, and younger children, who are still not being vaccinated.

I'm not convinced it's necessary to vaccinate every 12-15 year old tbh.

The talk about the boosters is that they will be targetted to those who are at increased risk, rather than a blanket roll out. This seems sensible, as it saves time and effort, yet still gets the jags into the arms of those who will see the benefit.

For those aged 12-15, unless there is a clinical reason they will be at greater risk, vaccinating these groups seems largely like a waste of time and resources - two things that could be better spent on the booster roll out.

I'd argue that we should be moving away from even testing these kids, before stopping testing (and contact tracing) people with no / mild symptoms of all ages.

The amount of people off in my work who aren't ill, because they were hanging about with someone who also isn't ill (but tested positive) is completely unsustainable. Hospitality is again suffering - Angels in Uddingston for example is having to close their restaurant Monday - Wednesday for now because the SG rules mean so many of their staff need to isolate that they can't operate.

Edited by Todd_is_God

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The talk about the boosters is that they will be targetted to those who are at increased risk, rather than a blanket roll out. This seems sensible, as it saves time and effort, yet still gets the jags into the arms of those who will see the benefit.

For those aged 12-15, unless there is a clinical reason they will be at greater risk, vaccinating these groups seems largely like a waste of time and resources - two things that could be better spent on the booster roll out.

I'd argue that we should be moving away from even testing these kids, before stopping testing (and contact tracing) people with no / mild symptoms of all ages.

The amount of people off in my work who aren't ill, because they were hanging about with someone who also isn't ill (but tested positive) is completely unsustainable. Hospitality is again suffering - Angels in Uddingston for example is having to close their restaurant Monday - Wednesday for now because the SG rules mean so many of their staff need to isolate that they can't operate.

Aye but remember, the SG have to care more than the Tories.

6 minutes ago, Snafu said:

So who's bright idea was this?

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-08-23/youre-not-a-horse-americans-told-not-to-take-livestock-dewormer-for-covid

Ivermectin: Why Americans are being warned not to take a livestock dewormer for Covid

Americans are being warned not to use a livestock dewormer to treat Covid-19 after several people were hospitalised after taking ivermectin intended for horses.

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) urged Americans not to to self-medicate with "medications intended for animals" as it warned taking large doses was "dangerous and can cause serious harm." 

Overdosing on ivermectin can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, hypotension (low blood pressure), allergic reactions (itching and hives), dizziness, ataxia (problems with balance), seizures, coma and even death, the authority warned.

"There seems to be a growing interest in a drug called ivermectin to treat humans with Covid-19. Ivermectin is often used in the US to treat or prevent parasites in animals," the FDA wrote in statement.  

That's neigh good

She’s interim chair of the future pandemic group but I don’t think they have any remit to deal with Covid unless they’re blurring the boundaries between new threats and variants.
https://www.gov.scot/news/future-pandemic-expert-group-established/
Anytime she's on tv (almost daily) it's in her Edinburgh Uni guise, never seen her linked to the SG in relation to Covid. I very much doubt she is "close to NS" in any working capacity.

She expects hospitalisations to go up.
How many times does this woman need to be wrong before she admits she doesn't know what she's talking about?
She hasn't been wrong in this instance yet. Every time cases increase the hospitalizations increase in lag time. They will start rising pretty much daily from now onwards until this wave peaks.

She expects hospitalisations to go up.
How many times does this woman need to be wrong before she admits she doesn't know what she's talking about?

I’m not defending Bauld but hospitalisations clearly will go up in the coming weeks from the c.300 levels they’d went down to. More cases still equal more hospitalisation, even at the drastically reduced rate in comparison to the start of the year.

What we also know however is a) that it’s very manageable for the health service and b) we could more than half the numbers in hospital if everyone eligible for vaccination took it.

36 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The JVCI viewpoint is that vaccination isn't necessary as this group don't get seriously unwell and the rare risks of vaccination weren't worth it. I don't oppose vaccination for this group but agree it doesn't seem like a good use of resources, especially given we are committed to a booster programme now with details to be announced any time now. 

Fake sage went nuts about this and accused the JVCI of bowing to (unspecified) government pressure and the usual hysterical comments about kids being abandoned to long covid from one particular contributor. That's the only real pressure that I've seen on vaccinating the 12-15 group.