Coronavirus (COVID-19)

18 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

We shouldn't be putting fear into people saying they might still die from it after vaccination - there is obviously a chance of that but you'd be pretty unlucky to be fully vaccinated and die from this. But you need to be truthful in your messaging. I don't see an issue with an advert telling folk that vaccines are doing their job but people still need to be aware there's a risk. I'm not concerned about a rise in cases any more, I agree that is inevitable. 

This is fair, but as is often the case many of the public health psycho brigade make the risk appear far greater than it actually is, which then filters down and we end up with continued but unjustified and irrational fear - which inevitably filters through to policy. We even have some public health 'experts' outright spreading disinformation and mistruths about the vaccines.

22 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I suppose though at what point do you stop with this messaging, because as you say it will be here forever and realistically everyone will get it. Unless we just have adverts warning of the risks of Covid forever, which seems like overkill.

When the vaccine roll out is complete I expect the messaging to change. 

Do The Simps like Wee Bully even realise they're supporting something designed to line the pockets of Tory mates and keep it that way? Of course, if they knew this and it was framed differently they would be playing a different tune, but the Scottish Government is also hoodwinked and in on it.

IMG-20210820-095316.jpg

13 hours ago, Snafu said:

Looks like Scotrail are about to make cuts to services.

ScotRail accused of cuts to services as leak shows no plan to resume pre-lockdown timetable

In an angry statement, the Aslef, RMT, TSSA and Unite trade unions hit out at the cuts agenda:

“It is incredible in the year that the world comes to Scotland to debate the very future of our planet ScotRail is proposing cuts to the rail services in a transparent attempt to use the pandemic as cover for cuts.

“These plans would not only cull jobs, they would hit hardest on the most vulnerable people within society including elderly and disabled people. All the while diverting many passengers back onto the roads and increasing pollution, congestion and greenhouse gases.”

The unions feigning concern about the vulnerable and climate change while continuing a network-crippling, rolling strike every Sunday for months on end is truly laughable. They couldn't give a toss about either. 

If rail is such a vital public service then upon it being nationalised they should have their right to disruptive strike action removed as well. 

18 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

When the vaccine roll out is complete I expect the messaging to change. 

Will that be before or after any booster campaign? It will never be finished to some people. It has been said before on here but the metaphor of Japanese soldiers on deserted islands carrying on the war perfectly encapsulates our current situation.

Just now, virginton said:

The unions feigning concern about the vulnerable and climate change while continuing a network-crippling, rolling strike every Sunday for months on end is truly laughable. They couldn't give a toss about either. 

If rail is such a vital public service then upon it being nationalised they should have their right to disruptive strike action removed as well. 

The action of trade unions throughout the pandemic has made me question if Thatcher was actually all that bad, tbf. quitegood.png

9 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Will that be before or after any booster campaign? It will never be finished to some people. It has been said before on here but the metaphor of Japanese soldiers on deserted islands carrying on the war perfectly encapsulates our current situation.

It's looking likely the booster programme will cross over with the end of the vaccine roll out. I don't see that as a problem, the messaging for the booster programme will be targeted and can have it's own advice, much like the advice we have for flu booster jabs. It doesn't need to be tied to the current "lets try and convince as many people to get jagged as possible" line. 

2 minutes ago, Snafu said:

When we read 'horror stories' from mainstream media or social media about anyone who has been vaccinated ending up in hospital and or dying there is little or no reference to the immune system and how it works and what happened in this case. If you have a poor immune response or no immune system you have no or little defence against the virus regardless if you have been vaccinated, this happens in Care Homes.

Something else that gets missed out a lot in media is the amount of virus someone has been infected with and if an immune system can be overwhelmed especially when it comes to a perfectly healthy but not yet vaccinated young person ending up in hospital. I think this was the case more frequently earlier in the pandemic in hospitals when nurses and other hospital staff themselves ended up critical or dying when they had been in continued contact with patients for hours on end.

If these details were mentioned more often it would put to rest a lot of fear, but no the papers want their headlines even if it bears no resemblance to the actual story underneath and the anti vaxxers won't budge their views until they themselves end up in hospital with the virus.

You get loads of that argument on here, that if measures to reduce viral load and transmission don't eliminate risk there's no point.

I had a wee chat with some union reps yesterday, about companies/employers asking for your vaxx status. My own one fired round an email asking folk. Seemingly this is not legal, because under data protection rules they cannot store your answer anywhere. They are at it, trying to ensure they can put pressure on anyone who is contact traced.

Now for me like many my age and younger, getting the jag was never really about fear of covid outcomes, more just to be part of the herd and also any future benefits re isolation, so I would always choose to test and release. However, its murky waters if someone for whatever reason, tells the contact tracers, id prefer just to isolate. The release part comes with the need for a PCR and ongoing LFT testing. Were you to take the position that you do not want to take said tests, where would an employer stand on telling you that you have to?

13 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I see a woman's football tournament on Orkney has been blamed for the upsurge in cases on the Shetland Islands and Orkney.

https://www.shetnews.co.uk/2021/08/19/covid-cases-linked-to-orkney-football-tournament/

Is anyone ill or is it straining local health services?

36 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You get loads of that argument on here, that if measures to reduce viral load and transmission don't eliminate risk there's no point.

And right on cue..

24 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

It is entirely true, that's the point. Being double dosed guarantees nothing so what good is a health pass/certificate of vaccination 

3 hours ago, Elixir said:

Err, again, how do we know this for any other respiratory infection?

Because it is restricted only to those who actually need it in healthcare settings.

What other respiratory infection manages to kill 120,000 people in a year in the UK, whilst movement etc was curtailed?

The testing is actually proving what (I hope) you want it to prove, namely that the vaccines are breaking the link between cases and hospitalisations / deaths, and we can therefore get on with life. I suppose we could just go on trust, given the Main Players “know” it is ok, but history tells us that if we had done so, then we would have declared Covid as being over more than a year ago.

I prefer the data proving it.  

What other respiratory infection manages to kill 120,000 people in a year in the UK, whilst movement etc was curtailed?
The testing is actually proving what (I hope) you want it to prove, namely that the vaccines are breaking the link between cases and hospitalisations / deaths, and we can therefore get on with life. I suppose we could just go on trust, given the Main Players “know” it is ok, but history tells us that if we had done so, then we would have declared Covid as being over more than a year ago.
I prefer the data proving it.  
Dont hate the main players. Hate the main game

What do you think is the highest percentage of population will get double vaccinated and once we hit that number should we just stop with the testing and quarantine unless someone has symptoms and only they quarantine.

You would think at some point things will go back to normal and the amount who get fully vaccinated this year will be the highest they ever get so its delaying the inevitable to continue with any restrictions beyond that point.

Edited by BigDoddyKane

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

@John MacLean used to post on here and was good. The thread was at its peak back then with a good variety of worthwhile contributors.

RSimilar incident in Dundee as workers pat a dog who's owner had the virus, 27 sent home.

Baws, you made me dip back into this thread 🙂 

I guess much has happened since I last posted here, whenever that was, but I see that not a great deal on here has actually changed. 

I notice, for example, that the use of graphs to support pre-existing, and inflexible, opinions rather than trying to interpret them and formulate an opinion is still a thing.