Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, mizfit said:

Didn’t they say to expect a slight rise after restrictions were lifted?

Over 100,000 cases a day was almost guaranteed and up to 200,000 was possible. 🥴

8 hours ago, Ric said:

Some pub owner, "this has come out of the blue". Really Gavin? Really? The pandemic and it affecting the number of jobs, the number of people for those jobs and supply logisitics for the whole world have been fucked over for the last 18 months and he thinks this issue has "come out of the blue"?

To me that seems like a fluff piece for landlords to bitch about restrictions but as restrictions have been lifted they need to bitch about something else.

btw, on a side note, I see that Inverness is apparently the cheapest place to get a pint, at £3.20! Now, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that can't surely be the cheapest pint in the land, but that said I don't drink so I honestly don't know the price of a pint anyway. As you'd have guessed, Edinburgh is the dearest.

Karen and now Gavin, what next

17 hours ago, pozbaird said:

In regard to the wearing of such PPE - read my post again. Specifically the second half of the first paragraph.

TBH, I never intended to cause a stramash. Just in relation to companies like airlines and hotels constantly coming at me from a POV that suggests unless they assure me staff will be dressed like this, and I’m completely assured they’ve deep cleaned everything within an inch of its life, then I simply won’t fly with them / stay in their hotel. As I said, far from it. It’s almost the opposite in fact. Staff having to dress like that, plus, importantly, all the other far-from-normal experiences / government rules is the reason I don’t want to fly / stay. If your cabin crew didn’t look like they were in an operating theatre, and you tried to make things more normal, rather than abnormal, then I’d jump on yer’ plane tomorrow. It just can’t be me. Everyone I know isn’t looking for these levels of PPE, or deep cleaning promises. What they want is far more normality and less restrictions from governments. Plus, even before they’d heard of Covid, they thought it was a good idea to clean aircraft and hotel rooms thoroughly anyway! Isn’t that something they should always have been doing? Ach, fcuk it. Apologies if I caused a stooshie. 😀

No worries!

I was really just making a point that not everywhere/everyone is like the UK - some places do impose restrictions and folk have no choice but to follow.  And, some folk are genuinely afraid of catching it where there are literally no available beds to treat people.  Where I am there is now next to no chance of getting a bed in a hospital - they are treating folk in hospital car parks and that's the lucky ones. 

Other than Twitter, I haven't really been following Covid in the news for the past week or two, and I think drivel like this reinforces why.

Does this known ('iSAGE') danger to society, who still wants authoritarian PCR tests mandated, not realise the 'caution' of the public is largely a mirage? Sports venues, bars, restaurants, nightclubs packed, yet the schools are out, and offices and rush hour on public transport are quieter. This is the driver of lower numbers of pre-pandemic contacts, not fantasy public goodwill, save for some of the psycho brigade. Such an utter VL man, honestly. Oh, and a nice wee line to undermine vaccine confidence as well - terrific stuff from this clearly esteemed psychologist!

Posted at 7:59

You're not invulnerable if you're double-jabbed, says expert

8016b458-9b55-4fc1-956a-a74580075f20.jpg

Today Programme

BBC Radio 4

Prof Stephen Reicher, psychologist at St Andrews University and a member of the Sage subcommittee advising on behavioural science, has been speaking to the BBC about the new isolation rules for England and Northern Ireland.

He tells BBC Radio 4's Today programme that it is a "problem" that people are only being advised, rather than required, to get a PCR test if they come into close contact with a positive Covid case.

"I wish it was stronger, I wish there was a requirement to get a PCR test, but at least there's strong advice."

But he says he is a "relative optimist" about the situation and has a "fair amount of faith in the good sense and caution of the public" in complying with the new rules.

He explains that after the 19 July reopening, many experts thought infections would increase "massively", but one of the major reasons they didn't was because "people remained cautious...[and] careful".

Prof Reicher adds the government must continue getting the "messaging" out to encourage people to get PCR tests and be cautious by limiting their social interactions.

People are also "not invulnerable if you're double-vaccinated, there's still a fairly good chance you could get infected and infect others," he says.

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Whoever has the klaxon, get it ready.

It's annoying the number of times variants are described as new in tweet headlines when, like Lambda, it's been circulating around the world since last year and is no particular threat.

Has iSAGE ever supported any relaxation measure? I don't think they have. It's all you get from them - whinge whinge whinge, never a solution or proposed solution. 

Lambda is just the Peru variant that's been around for ages. The media will no doubt use the renaming of it as an excuse to try and scare people again. 

Edited by Michael W

6 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

It's official - the university is making new signs ahead of semester. We're having "one metre plus" social distancing.

Apparently the government has told the universities to have tighter restrictions than the rest of society.

Trying to hound the student population into getting vaxxed more than likely. No doubt the blackmail will start re getting rid of these measures in due course. 

17 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Trying to hound the student population into getting vaxxed more than likely. No doubt the blackmail will start re getting rid of these measures in due course. 

Of course governments want the maximum possible vaccine take up.  If it's not all used, the wee nanobots inside the vials will group together to form massive killer robots that will destroy humanity.  

(Sorry, rough morning....) 

They have opened vaccine centres on campus. But say a student gets jag 1 in the second week of semester. They then get jag 2 in week nine. Followed by 2 weeks for the double dose to take full effect...and they're vaccinated just as the semester breaks up in December.

I was thinking it's been a while since we had a new variant reported.  It had gone almost too quiet on that front. I don't watch the news, but seeing as there's no restrictions in England anymore, does Covid even still get a mention these days?

39 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

It's official - the university is making new signs ahead of semester. We're having "one metre plus" social distancing.

Apparently the government has told the universities to have tighter restrictions than the rest of society.

The hilarious detachment from reality of utter guff like this when most of the people these measures are there to 'police' will be out their tits in packed nightclubs and flat parties every week anyway.

True 'Japanese sailor on deserted island carrying on the war effort 20 years later' vibes.

56 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I have no doubt that measures such as this are suggested in genuine good faith. However the people these restrictions are being placed on do not live under them 24/7 and, once off campus, are free to ditch them like everyone else.

This surely makes them absolutely pointless in the grand scheme of things?

If staff safety is the main concern, then by all means implement measures to keep the staff away from students.

Blanket measures like the above just make things difficult and awkward for everyone, for, ultimately, very little to no benefit in the grand scheme of things.

Same with my work. Staff are required to distance etc whilst working (to try to reduce disruption should there be any positives and subsequent close contacts), yet are free to ditch this the minute they finish and go to the pub.

The sooner the "close contact" rules are binned and we revert to "don't come in if you are sick" the better.

- Trust that the most vulnerable (at least those who want to be) have been vaccinated.

- Trust that the vaccines work to severely reduce the impact on the most vulnerable.

- Trust the data that shows the risks to young, otherwise healthy, people is extremely low.

- Move to viewing Covid-19 in exactly the same way as any other respiratory virus

I assume (hope) this will come at some point in the near future provided hospitalisations etc remain low.

Edited by Todd_is_God

As has been said, pandemics tend to come to an end socially before anything else, which is where we're at now.

Restrictions become guidelines and personal responsibility/risk management become the norm.

Unis and other places trying to be seen to fight it is basically just for show.