Coronavirus (COVID-19)

13 minutes ago, 101 said:

Obviously it's easy to write off anti Vax people as complete and utter moon howlers but part of the post covid work has to be protecting free speech but removing dangerous content and promoting proper critical thinking skills.

Also, not having vaccine misinformation spewed by government advisors for me Clive (Thats you, Devi)

26 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Also, not having vaccine misinformation spewed by government advisors for me Clive (Thats you, Devi)

I agree even pish like the mask info graphic that was floating about from some senior officials.

There's nothing to suggest that that particular bloke that died was influenced. He could quite have easily formed his own beliefs about it and simply sought out agreeable voices to validate his choices. It's not exactly hard to do in this day and age. 

If people want to ignore what's in front of them and is accessible, that's their perogative. 

25 minutes ago, 101 said:

Obviously it's easy to write off anti Vax people as complete and utter moon howlers but part of the post covid work has to be protecting free speech but removing dangerous content and promoting proper critical thinking skills.

If you read the thread about that poor man he is a Cambridge graduate.  Not that having a higher education in itself prevents people believing stupid things, some things are so stupid that only intellectuals could believe them, but it does suggest that he probably did have capacity for critical thinking in some sense. I think talk of educating people out believing crazy stuff is a bit off the mark.

There’s been a few videos and stories about anti vaxxers dying of Covid in the last few days. One journalist shared private messages she’s had from her dad, who is refusing the vaccine. I understand why people do it but I think it’s a bit manipulative and unnecessary. There’s also a distinct sense that these videos are shared to reinforce people’s sense of having done the right thing in taking the vaccine rather than to persuade anyone. 

It just strikes me as a bit distasteful.

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

A bit like the delight in the problems zero covid chasing Australia is having. Primary school gang fights for adults.

Edited by welshbairn

31 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

If you read the thread about that poor man he is a Cambridge graduate.  Not that having a higher education in itself prevents people believing stupid things, some things are so stupid that only intellectuals could believe them, but it does suggest that he probably did have capacity for critical thinking in some sense. I think talk of educating people out believing crazy stuff is a bit off the mark.

There’s been a few videos and stories about anti vaxxers dying of Covid in the last few days. One journalist shared private messages she’s had from her dad, who is refusing the vaccine. I understand why people do it but I think it’s a bit manipulative and unnecessary. There’s also a distinct sense that these videos are shared to reinforce people’s sense of having done the right thing in taking the vaccine rather than to persuade anyone. 

I think it's important to remind groups of people they aren't immune obviously the anti Vax people are hardest to reach using soft techniques and using prominent deaths of fellow believers is, in my opinion a good thing.

But I do agree there is a certain amount of people patting themselves on the back as there has been throughout the pandemic. 

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

There's nothing to suggest that that particular bloke that died was influenced. He could quite have easily formed his own beliefs about it and simply sought out agreeable voices to validate his choices. It's not exactly hard to do in this day and age. 

If people want to ignore what's in front of them and is accessible, that's their perogative. 

The BBC article it links to has this quote from his daughter, 

"[Leslie] was so brainwashed by the stuff that he was seeing on YouTube and social media. He said: 'A lot of people will die more from having the vaccine than getting Covid.'"

Even if your hesitant about vaccines in general, believing more people will die from the vaccine than from Covid sounds like you've been influenced does it not?

People often believe they are critical thinkers, and don't want to follow the crowd, so can be taken in when there are high profile people posting mis-information about vaccines online. Its hard to see what can be done about it.  

Meanwhile, post stats about how much vaccines have reduced hospital admissions despite high numbers of cases, and instead of media reporting on x amount of vaccinated people being in hospital, headline how many unvaccinated are there. Other than that, if people don't want to be vaccinated, encourage them and answer their questions and just leave it at that, this highlighting people who were anti-vax and have died just seems a bit off.

Edited by s_dog

3 hours ago, 101 said:

'Anti-lockdown, anti-mask Covid enablers'. wiggo.png

Physical distancing will remain in healthcare settings, despite Scotland's move beyond level zero on Monday.

Scotland's health secretary has confirmed that hospitals, doctors' surgeries and dentists will keep the 2m rule after the majority of coronavirus restrictions are eased.

Humza Yousaf said the situation would be reviewed at an unspecified time in the future.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-58130484

Physical distancing will remain in healthcare settings, despite Scotland's move beyond level zero on Monday.
Scotland's health secretary has confirmed that hospitals, doctors' surgeries and dentists will keep the 2m rule after the majority of coronavirus restrictions are eased.
Humza Yousaf said the situation would be reviewed at an unspecified time in the future.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-58130484
pymj6yx96ir41.jpg

The idea that you could actually get inside a GP surgery in the first place in order to keep 2m away from anyone else... :blink:

Presumably the '2m distance' they are talking about is the closest you can realistically expect to get to the building before you are told in no uncertain terms to get fucked?

Edited by Boo Khaki