Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

Well at least he's put a rough date on it.

It's not great but it's a lot more concrete than "for some considerable time yet".

Not really. It's the same "for some time" pish.

At least Christmas could literally be any date

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

This morning, on reflection, I see yesterday as a non-announcement. Very little of substance has changed. The only reason there was an announcement with such fanfare was because Boris Johnson had an English one a few weeks ago, and this was NS reacting by having her own, under pressure from the media and a large part of the public asking - when is our freedom day?

So she did the whole show. The big announcements (which were that very little has changed). The media already had their "most restrictions removed" headlines written. And now they are still pushing this line even though everyone can see that level "beyond zero" is basically the same as level 1 was. For my sector, nothing changed at all. I posted yesterday that for our students, nothing at all will change (masks, ventilation, distancing, blended learning , etc). 

Yesterday's announcement was a con trick to make it seem like we were following on track to normality when in fact the government is keeping their restrictions in place, and you get the sense (or I certainly do) that masks will be here with us this time next year. 

I think people would have more acceptance of keeping restrictions in place as they currently are rather than the bizarre half measures announced this morning.  

6 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

This morning, on reflection, I see yesterday as a non-announcement. Very little of substance has changed. The only reason there was an announcement with such fanfare was because Boris Johnson had an English one a few weeks ago, and this was NS reacting by having her own, under pressure from the media and a large part of the public asking - when is our freedom day?

I think the timing was partly due to the emergency powers running out and if they still banned clubs from opening they'd have to renew it, which would be difficult to justify and get through parliament. The polls are telling them that a sizeable majority want to keep restrictions like masks in place, so they're trying to have it both ways, and it's not working.

Edited by welshbairn

But all of them want more restrictions than the SNP have brought in so how does that make things better?

Why do you think they want so? Because they're in opposition... The idea that Scot Tories if they had power would be going against Westminster is painfully low level discourse. 

9 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Leitch expecting face masks to be in place until at least Christmas.

How will they justify this if the data both here and England continues to improve?

Three weeks to save the NHS vibes about that. 

But all of them want more restrictions than the SNP have brought in so how does that make things better?

You think the Conservatives wouldn't follow WM's lead given the chance?

The only reason the SNP aren't following WM's lead is "because independence" - there is no data to back taking a different approach or they'd be presenting it.

8 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I think people would have more acceptance of keeping restrictions in place as they currently are rather than the bizarre half measures announced this morning.  

For me the real anger comes not from what they have / haven't decided, but the apparent confirmation that this is it.

Previously there's always been a date in a few weeks where you could look forward to / anticipate the next easing of restrictions based on the data, but now we don't have that.

Are the briefings ending? They seem pointless now as well.

9 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

You think the Conservatives wouldn't follow WM's lead given the chance?

The only reason the SNP aren't following WM's lead is "because independence" - there is no data to back taking a different approach or they'd be presenting it.

The thing is though, it seems the days of floating independence voters being attracted by more restrictions are long gone.

Just now, KingswellsRed said:

The thing is though, it seems the days of floating independence voters being attracted by more restrictions are long gone.

You'd think so if the P&B consensus was representative, the polls would suggest otherwise. 

They should give venues the power to set their own rules on masks, proof of vax, testing, temperature tests or whatever. There will be a place for everyone. 
Jeff Ellis has already stated off his own back that while TRNSMT will go ahead with 50k and no SD, all ticket holders will need proof of full vaccination or a negative LFT to get in.

4 minutes ago, KingswellsRed said:

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You'd think so if the P&B consensus was representative, the polls would suggest otherwise. 

I don't think we will really know until we have had some time in our "new normal" pish looking in at England back to actual normal.

If the data continues to improve in England (or at least track ours) we may hear some noise, but for the most part "reckless toarrriess" is still the battle cry.

Just now, welshbairn said:

I'm sure you'd have found various furious posts before the election about how the SNP would lose support because of restrictions, just before they skooshed the election.

I'm not in favour of continuing restrictions and haven't been for a while but I doubt this thread is even representative of P&B. Every time I come in, it's the same groups of absolutely raging posters saying the same things over and over.

51 minutes ago, SANTAN said:

Fucking @ me next time! 

It's mental that so many people on here are acting outraged and surprised, they've been warned about the authoritarian nature of the government dressed up as "caring more"  and similar but they've always batted it away with "muh Independence". Well congrats guys, you're now not getting Indy and the rest of us are stuck with these lot for the next 4 or 5 years... 

The joys of Tory voters telling others that their choice of government is too authoritarian, all said without a hint of irony too. 

Theresa May Dancing GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY