Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Its an absolute joke McDermid park can’t be packed for arguably the biggest game Saints have ever had.

There would need to be some argument put forward to make that stick!

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

The issue isn't to do with the fans attending the game, it's the fact that Turkey is on the UK and Scottish red list and therefore Galatasaray can't get an exemption from isolation.

Sporting exemptions are made all the time, theres no way they couldnt put something in place to make it work for Saints. Even some kind of managed quarantine for the team with testing or similar. The Scottish Government have backed themselves into a concern corner appeasing all the folk scared about trains or people who go to beaches and then complain about people who go to beaches. Enough of this shite, keep some reasonable measures if need be but just open the fucking country up. 

43 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

As I said - legally f**k all they could do. You could advise people not to go to Manchester or London - the Scottish Government had absolutely no power to prevent anyone going to either city.

Yet they went ahead and 'banned' travel to Manchester regardless, but not 20,000 TA 'footsoldiers' without tickets rocking up in London instead. A decision that I'm sure was based exclusively on The Science and not the SG's narrow interest in winning a popularity contest.

43 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

The Times going with a front page about Vaccine Passports in development in Scotland and Linda Bauld now pretty vocal about how we need them for large events.

Pretty sure this is gonna be the kicker for 9th August. All restrictions lifted, but Vaccine Passports (under whatever bullshit name they settle on) or proof of negative test required for gigs and clubs etc.

They can't implement this policy by August 9th because nowhere near all adults will have even received two vaccinations by this point. Which is when it gets launched in the bin as discriminatory nonsense, yet again. 

12 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The issue isn't to do with the fans attending the game, it's the fact that Turkey is on the UK and Scottish red list and therefore Galatasaray can't get an exemption from isolation.

Even "elite athletes" aren't exempt now? 

Have to say I'm a little surprised by that. 

Turkey should not be on the red list.  It is there because our useless Border forces cannot manage the fact that Istanbul is one of the busiest transit points in the world.

Nothing to do with cases, testing etc.

Same applies to Qatar.

Iran for instance is on the Amber list.   Absolute Joke,

Edited by superbigal

20 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Hibs are offering a click and collect for food for our game tomorrow night.  Thought buying food at the football was banned due to the current restrictions. 

Wonder if any other clubs in Scotland have been selling food. 

Arbroath can be added to the list of clubs selling food within the stadium

Masks required in the main stand, not required on the terraces (Stated over the sound system twice pre game)

Spain and France are also well ahead of Turkey in their respective vaccination programmes. 
Not so sure I'd say we've been lenient with them either. France is "Amber plus' because of a variant mostly found on an African island pretty much no-one from Britain will visit and there are fairly persistent rumours Spain will be added too. 

Turkey were really lagging at the start of June regards vaccines but are now jagging at a fair rate of knots.

64 million doses in total - 16.4 million in the first 3 weeks of June and 33 million since - they are jagging around a million a day or more. First dose over-18s % is now 63% (40% a month ago) and double-jagged in the same group is 34% (19% a month ago).

46 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Pretty sure this is gonna be the kicker for 9th August. All restrictions lifted, but Vaccine Passports (under whatever bullshit name they settle on) or proof of negative test required for gigs and clubs etc.

The correct way to use vaccine passports (or a negative test result) is alongside a vaccine rollout programme, to allow events etc to return to normal before we have gotten round to offering everyone two jags. You then bin them when you have completed the vaccine rollout as by that point their benefit has all but evaporated.

If the SG wish to use them between August and the end of the vaccine rollout then fine, but they should immediately commit to removing them when the rollout is complete, and be asked why they were not in place months ago to allow life to resume earlier instead of pissing about with nonsense like Level 0.5 and arbitrary restrictions at Hampden, Murrayfield and other things over the last month or so.

It's another example of the SG missing an opportunity to genuinely lead, instead relying on "following but trying to do it a bit better" 

Turkey should not be on the red list.  It is there because our useless Border forces cannot manage the fact that Istanbul is one of the busiest transit points in the world.
Nothing to do with cases, testing etc.

Same applies to Qatar.
Iran for instance is on the Amber list.   Absolute Joke,
And UAE as well.

It's a nonsense.

So literally anyone in Scotland can travel to Carlisle and go to a packed nightclub (with zero Covid measures in place whatsoever) and go wherever they like in Scotland on return but regularly tested Galatasaray players can't fly in on a charter flight, get bussed to a hotel, play at McDairmid park, and then immediately fly back to Turkey? 😂 Turkey has extremely strict Covid measures in place (facemasks worn at all times outside your home, for example) - the fact that they only count symptomatic people as cases doesn't change that.

There must surely come a point where someone in the Government takes a step back and thinks "This makes no sense at all. What can we do to make it make sense?"

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Tuxedos? £800 on a party? :blink:

It's their money I suppose.

Seems remarkable to me.  "Graduations" from primary school? Kids being 'devastated' by having no school 'proms'? 

Its amazing that folk my age survived childhood and adolescence at all after being denied such essentials.  Can't be long before the ambulance-chasing heroes from Mssrs Sue, Grabbit and Runne have tv adverts set against a background of crying children surrounded by piles of unused party dresses and tuxedos.... something like "Was your school experience utterly destroyed by not graduating from nursery?  Life chances ruined by not going to a party? Email us now at chancingshysters.co.uk or outragedsnowflake.co.uk and we'll make sure you get what you deserve!" 

32 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Sporting exemptions are made all the time, theres no way they couldnt put something in place to make it work for Saints. Even some kind of managed quarantine for the team with testing or similar. The Scottish Government have backed themselves into a concern corner appeasing all the folk scared about trains or people who go to beaches and then complain about people who go to beaches. Enough of this shite, keep some reasonable measures if need be but just open the fucking country up. 

I agree with you, I was just pointing out that all your stuff about testing fans outside the stadium and so on wasn't relevant to this scenario.

23 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Even "elite athletes" aren't exempt now? 

Have to say I'm a little surprised by that. 

This is a UK-wide thing which only applies to red list countries. Turkey is the only red list country in Europe which is why we haven't really been affected by it much in a sporting sense. However, Portugal was previously on the former version of the red list, and Scotland women had to play their home game against Portugal in Cyprus as a result. Arsenal v Benfica was similarly  affected too around the same time.

However, I'm sure there must have been some exemptions made at some point for some form of sporting event.

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

So literally anyone in Scotland can travel to Carlisle and go to a packed nightclub (with zero Covid measures in place whatsoever) and go wherever they like in Scotland on return but regularly tested Galatasaray players can't fly in on a charter flight, get bussed to a hotel, play at McDairmid park, and then immediately fly back to Turkey? 😂 Turkey has extremely strict Covid measures in place (facemasks worn at all times outside your home, for example) - the fact that they only count symptomatic people as cases doesn't change that.

There must surely come a point where someone in the Government takes a step back and thinks "This makes no sense at all. What can we do to make it make sense?"

Were any of the teams that came to the UK for the Euros on the red list or was this issue avoided then due to luck of the draw?

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

I agree with you, I was just pointing out that all your stuff about testing fans outside the stadium and so on wasn't relevant to this scenario.

This is a UK-wide thing which only applies to red list countries. Turkey is the only red list country in Europe which is why we haven't really been affected by it much in a sporting sense. However, Portugal was previously on the former version of the red list, and Scotland women had to play their home game against Portugal in Cyprus as a result. Arsenal v Benfica was similarly  affected too around the same time.

However, I'm sure there must have been some exemptions made at some point for some form of sporting event.

I probably should've realised this earlier, tbf. We had Fernandy Mendy spend time in hotel quarantine after his Guinea-Bissau call up because he'd been to red-listed Eswatini. 

This was back on the early part of the year when we were under strict lockdown so I'd have thought exemptions may be more forthcoming now. Clearly not. 

4 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Were any of the teams that came to the UK for the Euros on the red list or was this issue avoided then due to luck of the draw?

Turkey are the only European team on it and they didn't come here.