Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

Singapore's 'live with covid' plan was mentioned on here recently.

Government already rowing that back for now with restrictions tightened again.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/spore-returns-to-phase-2-what-you-need-to-know-about-tightened-covid-19-rules-from

Singapore has better rates of first vaccine done than the UK, and only 5% lower fully vaccinated.

There have been 36 deaths from covid in Singapore and the government there seem to like the idea of keeping that low.

Maybe one day soon what I, and many others, have said about high vaccine coverage not being enough to prevent these places having epidemics will sink into your scrambled eggs for brains.

3 hours ago, Snafu said:

Nice little local good news story -

Great when people can get together and achieve, especially for their children.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/weve-spent-800-outfits-parents-21063064

'We've spent £800 on outfits' - parents' glitzy DIY prom after last-minute cancellation due to covid

Students were 'devastated' when leaver's ball was shelved - so the mums and dads got together

Parents at a school held their own DIY prom, after it was cancelled due to covid.

Students at Northfield School & Sports College in Billingham were "devastated" when their leaver's ball was shelved.

Families had already spent up to £800 each on outfits and the hair and make-up appointments were booked when the Thames Road school had to give them the bad news.

But parents got together and hastily arranged a glittering new prom - at Synthonia Suites in Billingham, which took place on Tuesday.

Dad at the school, Gavin Dawson, said: "I was in the middle of getting my son's tux fitted when we got the email saying it had been cancelled.

"Some of the girls have spent £600 to £800 on dresses, make-up, nails.

"They were all really devastated.

"Parents were saying 'we've spent all this money', it was upsetting for them."

They decided to club together - and a frantic search for a new venue began.

Gav, an events videographer, called on all his contacts.

And the community has relied on the kindness of suppliers - many of whom have provided services for free.

"Within 24 hours, we managed to get a venue secured," he said.

"The council said 'as long as you go by covid rules it's fine, and we had to get 175 consent forms all signed by parents."

Three large rooms were decorated with flower walls and balloon arches.

Singer Ty Lewis, of The Voice fame, performed alongside successful tribute act 3 Steps to Venga.

Gavin, who runs , who runs Skytographer Productions in Stockton, added: "This year's kids have had three lockdowns, a tier system, we have no idea what their results would be.

"They really needed this.

"They were over the moon that something was going ahead."

They thanked everyone who stepped in to help at short notice including: Angela Waites Photography; 3 Steps to Venga; Ty Lewis; Tim Lichfield Magician; S & S Disco; Blue Sky Tech UK videography; Got It covered venue dressers; Facebooth, Magic Mirror; Franks Factory Flooring (red carpets) and Essence events and Decor.

ThOsE pArEnTs DeSeRvE a MuRaL!!!!!111!!!!!!

15 minutes ago, Left Back said:

How long until people start panic buying again?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57924264

The government is getting itself into a right old mess with its isolation policy. 

The switch to the double vaccinated not having to isolate is coming in August, but there is a real problem at the moment with people being pinged and having to isolate. It'll probably take a hospital or similar being shut down before they sit up and take notice. 

In the meantime, there's the ballsed-up random trial that has now ended. And is going to further the problem amongst its participants https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/07/17/heathrow-warns-summer-chaos-staff-testing-scheme-ends/

This farce can be ended very easily. 

Just now, Elixir said:

So scary. Please pray for them. 😢

"two metre rule ignored". 

Surely to f**k this doesn't apply to trains? If it did, the tell tale would be the seats being roped off. 

Can't wait to see their pictures of the beach itself with furious captions about other people being there. 

28 minutes ago, Left Back said:

How long until people start panic buying again?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57924264

The woman in the background without a mask staring down the lassy with her mask and gloves mulling over three packs of the same pasta. Surely a staged photo. warnock.png

Australia and New Zealand starting to be left behind: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/57925720

All of those nations who successfully kept the virus out during the first year look now to have backed themselves into a corner. We here are looking at 10 deaths a day in Scotland and thinking of that as relatively low and therefore acceptable to take as a fact of life,
But the lovejoys in those countries who have gotten used to seeing few or no deaths at all over the last year will see such figures as unacceptable and the government will have a hard time convincing them that more death is ok
Ps they have no excuse for their pish poor vaccine rollout, wealthy first world countries that didn’t even have the bottle neck of social distancing to slow them down, it’s entirely their own fault. They should have rattled it into everyone pronto

1 hour ago, SlipperyP said:

They can't, what we have here as our elected government  junta is a load of Generals living in the bygone age.  As the P&B quote goes they are "scrambling for relevance".  You may have clown shoes, we have clown shoe department of Thailand running the country.  It's laughable, unfortunately  I live here.

We are still going to buy submarines (we don't have water deep enough) from the Chinese, that's all that matters at the moment.  Also, if you go back to the start of this thread, when it was first hitting Thailand, we didn't test people, we tested BATS. 8)

I love the Thai govt. to be fair Slippery.

Only because they make my place's lot look somehow efficient.

6 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

UPdate from the Land of Lies

• Record number of cases now 13,000 yesterday and 108 deaths
  • Rioting on the streets of Bangkok, police using rubber bullets and water cannons
  • Army to go house to house and test people, if infected you are taken to a 'field hospital' imminently
  • Schools to be made into 'field hospitals'
  • Mask wearing in your house
  • Social distancing in your house, not to eat together
  • Government plans to join the Global Vaccination Program (most countries joined LAST YEAR)
  • 50% deduction in Education budget (money has to come from somewhere)
  • tourists escaping Phucket 
  • 4.8% fully vaccinated
  • my grass needs cut, but it's not stopped raining for 4 days

Sounds fucking horrendous. I hope you and yours can stay safe, mate. 

She came out a few days after the whole London carry on and said there was a travel ban between Scotland and North West England for non essential travel . There’s plenty they could have done to try and reduce numbers heading down to London but they done f**k all and the media lapped it all up. 

As I said - legally f**k all they could do. You could advise people not to go to Manchester or London - the Scottish Government had absolutely no power to prevent anyone going to either city.

The Times going with a front page about Vaccine Passports in development in Scotland and Linda Bauld now pretty vocal about how we need them for large events.

Pretty sure this is gonna be the kicker for 9th August. All restrictions lifted, but Vaccine Passports (under whatever bullshit name they settle on) or proof of negative test required for gigs and clubs etc.

Edited by Abdul_Latif

4 hours ago, Snafu said:

Nice little local good news story -

Great when people can get together and achieve, especially for their children.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/weve-spent-800-outfits-parents-21063064

'We've spent £800 on outfits' - parents' glitzy DIY prom after last-minute cancellation due to covid

Students were 'devastated' when leaver's ball was shelved - so the mums and dads got together

Parents at a school held their own DIY prom, after it was cancelled due to covid.

Students at Northfield School & Sports College in Billingham were "devastated" when their leaver's ball was shelved.

Families had already spent up to £800 each on outfits and the hair and make-up appointments were booked when the Thames Road school had to give them the bad news.

But parents got together and hastily arranged a glittering new prom - at Synthonia Suites in Billingham, which took place on Tuesday.

Dad at the school, Gavin Dawson, said: "I was in the middle of getting my son's tux fitted when we got the email saying it had been cancelled.

"Some of the girls have spent £600 to £800 on dresses, make-up, nails.

"They were all really devastated.

"Parents were saying 'we've spent all this money', it was upsetting for them."

They decided to club together - and a frantic search for a new venue began.

Gav, an events videographer, called on all his contacts.

And the community has relied on the kindness of suppliers - many of whom have provided services for free.

"Within 24 hours, we managed to get a venue secured," he said.

"The council said 'as long as you go by covid rules it's fine, and we had to get 175 consent forms all signed by parents."

Three large rooms were decorated with flower walls and balloon arches.

Singer Ty Lewis, of The Voice fame, performed alongside successful tribute act 3 Steps to Venga.

Gavin, who runs , who runs Skytographer Productions in Stockton, added: "This year's kids have had three lockdowns, a tier system, we have no idea what their results would be.

"They really needed this.

"They were over the moon that something was going ahead."

They thanked everyone who stepped in to help at short notice including: Angela Waites Photography; 3 Steps to Venga; Ty Lewis; Tim Lichfield Magician; S & S Disco; Blue Sky Tech UK videography; Got It covered venue dressers; Facebooth, Magic Mirror; Franks Factory Flooring (red carpets) and Essence events and Decor.

£800 on a dress for the end of school dance is fucking wild.

11 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Sounds fucking horrendous. I hope you and yours can stay safe, mate. 

Oh it's not all bad, forecast looks good for Saturday, should get it done before the quiz update.;)

In all seriousness, not much happening where I live, at the moment. However, it does feel like the net is getting closer.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

We’re you vociferously seething at the time of the Scotland game?

I had no issue with that, I just can't understand the inconsistencies of it all.

She was happy enough to try and ban folk going to Manchester, yet nothing about London.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Our local councillor is saying there's no chance, literally says they won't budge because they see us as a "small club who won't make waves".

We can't play a Turkish side when Turkey has around 8k cases daily, while Rangers can host Real Madrid while Spain has 30k cases daily.

The last year has completely fucking eroded any support I had for the SNP.

Its an absolute joke McDermid park can’t be packed for arguably the biggest game Saints have ever had. Hopefully it helps get rid of Pete Wishart. 
Why cant they get a ‘pilot event’? Test everyone before the game set up tents in the area nearby and get folk in. Cmon to f**k. 
I feel exactly the same about the SNP, went from a member and lifelong voter to just unable to take any more of their pish. 

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

8 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Its an absolute joke McDermid park can’t be packed for arguably the biggest game Saints have ever had. Hopefully it helps get rid of Pete Wishart. 
Why cant they get a ‘pilot event’? Test everyone before the game set up tents in the area nearby and get folk in. Cmon to f**k. 
I feel exactly the same about the SNP, went from a member and lifelong voter to just unable to take any more of their pish. 

The issue isn't to do with the fans attending the game, it's the fact that Turkey is on the UK and Scottish red list and therefore Galatasaray can't get an exemption from isolation.

Edited by craigkillie