Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

All we are interested in now is hospitalisations and deaths. However if you believe that there will be no restrictions this winter and that Delta is far more transmittable then infections are going to be through the roof this winter compared to 12 months previously.

The question is how will that feed into deaths/hospitalisations?

We don't have like for like data about transmission in summer because of Delta Vs Alpha but also because testing is ten times greater this summer than last.

Why do you love Covid so much?

17 minutes ago, Elixir said:

My word. We could equally make a similar comparison from spring 2020. Also, is it winter in places like Russia and Tunisia right now? You never did get me those sources about how the pandemic started later there.

You posted this graphic last night which conviently cuts off all the UK deaths from before 1st July 20. It took Russia until October 20 to reach the number of deaths the UK had by April 20 despite the population of Russia being 3 times higher. 

The pandemics in the two countries cannot be directly compared. 

20210720_105222.jpg

Edited by Detournement

2 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Rangers getting 8,500 fans in v Brighton on Saturday, 12,750 v Real Madrid on Sunday and then 17,000 v Livingston next week.

Tbf Livi are a bigger draw than Brighton and R.Madrid

27 minutes ago, virginton said:

That "entire branch of science" and its shan models have made a rip-roaring c**t of predicting and estimating every wave of infections so far, so I'm not sure where you're going with this. 

Stuff like saying you can't pick seasonality out of the data because there's too much variation is just plain wrong though. Prediction is difficult and I don't disagree that most of the models have been wrong, but inference on past data has many fewer moving parts and you don't tend to have the same sort of issues.

23 minutes ago, 101 said:

Never in doubt, but now confirmed.

I feel quite bad about still wearing my Female Body Inspector t-shirt now.

53 minutes ago, Detournement said:

All we are interested in now is hospitalisations and deaths. However if you believe that there will be no restrictions this winter and that Delta is far more transmittable then infections are going to be through the roof this winter compared to 12 months previously.

The question is how will that feed into deaths/hospitalisations?

We don't have like for like data about transmission in summer because of Delta Vs Alpha but also because testing is ten times greater this summer than last.

Or... we will have built up enough immunity in the UK population following three large waves of infection and mass immunisation of the UK population, to prevent a significant surge this winter.

Alpha also wasn't the dominant lineage until last winter.

41 minutes ago, Detournement said:

You posted this graphic last night which conviently cuts off all the UK deaths from before 1st July 20. It took Russia until October 20 to reach the number of deaths the UK had by April 20 despite the population of Russia being 3 times higher. 

The pandemics in the two countries cannot be directly compared. 

20210720_105222.jpg

So your 'source' about the pandemic 'starting later' in Russia is the utter duff information put out by Putin and the Kremlin? This is absolutely hilarious.

a6070891-6307-45c2-9314-a8933014811c_w77

Just now, TheScarf said:

I feel quite bad about still wearing my Female Body Inspector t-shirt now.

Rest assured should you be photographed wearing it; at a rally against something that stopped happening the day before the rally, you will be branded as a VL and rightly so imo.

I wish everyone would stop switching sides and suddenly riding for their opps it's making my petty dotting decisions harder to make each time. I don't know who is who anymore. 

5 minutes ago, 101 said:

Rest assured should you be photographed wearing it; at a rally against something that stopped happening the day before the rally, you will be branded as a VL and rightly so imo.

Going to wear it away at Cove the night.

Forgive me if I’ve misunderstood but is the argument being made that as we are in summer the drop in deaths is not due to vaccines, it’s due to seasonality? And the rise in cases is due to increased testing. The inference being that when we hit winter deaths will rise and we will find the vaccines have actually been ineffective?

This supposes that the drops in cases, hospitalisations and deaths earlier this year were due to lockdown rather than vaccines. But those drops were far sharper in the groups that were vaccinated earliest - how does that tie in to this narrative? The current wave has seen people in hospital of a different profile in the less vaccinated populations. If vaccines don’t work why are we seeing this?

Edit: This also assumes that we had a huge infection wave last summer that didn’t result in deaths, hospitalisation or positive test results. It doesn’t seem likely to me.

Edited edit: Testing also isn’t ten times higher than it was last summer, it was about three or four times higher.

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Forgive me if I’ve misunderstood but is the argument being made that as we are in summer the drop in deaths is not due to vaccines, it’s due to seasonality? And the rise in cases is due to increased testing. The inference being that when we hit winter deaths will rise and we will find the vaccines have actually been ineffective?

This supposes that the drops in cases, hospitalisations and deaths earlier this year were due to lockdown rather than vaccines. But those drops were far sharper in the groups that were vaccinated earliest - how does that tie in to this narrative? The current wave has seen people in hospital of a different profile in the less vaccinated populations. If vaccines don’t work why are we seeing this?

Edit: This also assumes that we had a huge infection wave last summer that didn’t result in deaths, hospitalisation or positive test results. It doesn’t seem likely to me.

Edited edit: Testing also isn’t ten times higher than it was last summer, it was about three or four times higher.

It's just Detourement talking absolute mince/attention seeking/trolling as usual.