Coronavirus (COVID-19)

17 hours ago, anotherchance said:

So delay re-opening (and crucially, the exit wave) until the schools go back and the weather becomes less favourable?

Not meaning to be a dick, but just saying “delay everything” without thinking a couple of steps ahead is sleepwalking into a disaster.

Directors of all 4 independent Public Health Organisations have written a letter to the government urging caution but then, Neil Oliver and Laurence Fox have screeched "if not now WHEN!!??? really quite a lot and loudly so I'm just all over the place here trying to decide who to believe on issues of public health. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/17/sajid-javid-tests-positive-as-health-chiefs-tell-pm-dont-let-covid-rip?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Edited by williemillersmoustache

22 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Just pure luck that Bojo and Sunak have been randomly selected just like Gove to contact trace daily so they can continue working🤣

Mad how they just don't say we are the government so basically need to work so we will take part in the contact trace trail instead of telling folk they have been "randomly" selected 🤣

Yeah I wouldn't give a f**k if they said they can't isolate as they're still trying to sort of the country during a pandemic. 

The fact they're just blatantly lying about this doesn't really engender faith in them.

18 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Directors of all 4 independent Public Health Organisations have written a letter to the government urging caution but then, Neil Oliver and Laurence Fox have screeched "if not now WHEN!!??? really quite a lot and loudly so I'm just all over the place here trying to decide who to believe on issues of public health. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/17/sajid-javid-tests-positive-as-health-chiefs-tell-pm-dont-let-covid-rip?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Chris Whitty said in the press conference last week that there were no perfect scenarios, but this was the “least worst” - a decent starting point might be to dismantle his arguments and explain why he’s wrong.

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

btw where are SAGE, have they all been told to go back to their regular jobs?

Neil Ferguson currently making a Leitch like appearance on the Andrew Marr show.

Saying a decent result will be a peak of slightly over 100000 cases and 1000 hospitalisations per day.

He’s not on SAGE but still on NERVTAG I think.

49 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Just pure luck that Bojo and Sunak have been randomly selected just like Gove to contact trace daily so they can continue working🤣

Mad how they just don't say we are the government so basically need to work so we will take part in the contact trace trail instead of telling folk they have been "randomly" selected 🤣

You can go to your work but must isolate apart from that.  Sounds like a barrel of laughs.

27 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Absolutely the new restrictions on travel to and from France is political and it remains to be seen if Scotland and N Ireland follow England and Wales into quarantining travelers, I've seen nothing official yet from either that they will follow England and Wales.

But it's over this????

You really can't make this shit up.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20210717/how-widespread-in-france-is-the-beta-variant-of-covid/

'However the Beta variant (the South African variant) is reported to be responsible for a small number of France’s average 5,000 daily Covid-19 cases, and according to the French government’s app, TousAntiCovid, the percentage of Beta cases has even been reducing in recent weeks.

According to GISAID, which provides open-access data on Covid-19 variants, the Beta variant currently represents just 3.4% of cases in France.

Reunion island, in the Indian Ocean is the only part of France where the Beta variant is dominant and is responsible for most of the country’s cases.

The Delta variant, which was first discovered in India has rapidly become dominant in most parts of France as it did in the UK. It is reported to be responsible for around 70 percent of cases.

According to TousAntiCovid, the Beta and Gamma (Brasilian) variants represent just 9.7% of Covid-19 cases in France.'

The bottom line is that the Government doesn't want people going on holiday but is too scared to say it. Can't have the plebs losing hope or having to face the travel companies demanding compensation because the government' s policies are bankrupting them. 

The green list is a total set up with most the countries on it inaccessible to Brits or heavily restricted, Majorca and Portugal got about 19 days on it before being revoked due to concern about rising cases numbers and a made-up scary variant. And then there's Amber plus France, which has been put on the list because of cases on a African island no-one in Britain would visit anyway. But, since it's part of France (the Balearics famously not being part of Spain), the whole country is binned. There is no other motivation here other than preventing people going on holiday; the justification is an abuse of facts.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The bottom line is that the Government doesn't want people going on holiday but is too scared to say it. Can't have the plebs losing hope or having to face the travel companies demanding compensation because the government' s policies are bankrupting them. 

The green list is a total set up with most the countries on it inaccessible to Brits or heavily restricted, Majorca and Portugal got about 19 days on it before being revoked due to concern about rising cases numbers and a made-up scary variant. And then there's Amber plus France, which has been put on the list because of cases on a African island no-one in Britain would visit anyway. But, since it's part of France (the Balearics famously not being part of Spain), the whole country is binned. There is no other motivation here other than preventing people going on holiday; the justification is an abuse of facts.

The mood music suggests that old Joe is going to open up the USA to travel from Europe and the UK in the near future. 

I wonder how the Tories will handle this one. There are plenty of US states where the virus is not yet under control, but given the desperation of the UK government to get trans-Atlantic travel going again, and given the economic importance of the route, it would seem highly unlikely that they'll apply the same random selection process to America as they do to European countries. 

I doubt as well if the Tories will get away with using the same idiotic, politically expedient 'you're on the green list...oops, you're not' trick on the USA  as they've applied to European countries. 

I remember the headlines about the vaccines performing well against the South African variant back in February.

Now they have changed the name are they hoping we forget that they have already told us they work?

Something very odd about this particular announcement that doesn't make sense.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I remember the headlines about the vaccines performing well against the South African variant back in February.

Now they have changed the name are they hoping we forget that they have already told us they work?

Something very odd about this particular announcement that doesn't make sense.

A bit of France bashing always goes down well with certain elements of the UK. 

51 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah I wouldn't give a f**k if they said they can't isolate as they're still trying to sort of the country during a pandemic. 

The fact they're just blatantly lying about this doesn't really engender faith in them.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

5 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The mood music suggests that old Joe is going to open up the USA to travel from Europe and the UK in the near future. 

I wonder how the Tories will handle this one. There are plenty of US states where the virus is not yet under control, but given the desperation of the UK government to get trans-Atlantic travel going again, and given the economic importance of the route, it would seem highly unlikely that they'll apply the same random selection process to America as they do to European countries. 

I doubt as well if the Tories will get away with using the same idiotic, politically expedient 'you're on the green list...oops, you're not' trick on the USA  as they've applied to European countries. 

Presently amber listed, so double vaccinated travellers should be fine provided we don't f**k them over like we have with France. 

The US absolutely will retaliate if we try that. 

9 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Problem for the US is that there's no national proof of vaccine, I think some states like Florida have made vaccine passports illegal. And Joe is going to demand reciprocity.

On 17/07/2021 at 10:14, Wee Bully said:

Indeed, she was so concerned about her dying father that she decided to have a 10 day holiday in the Med.  

Totally clownshoes fault! 

Let's hope the thread doesn't go any lower than this from yesterday.