Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Yes so what? The lassie gets a visit to her dad briefly and then has to go back to a quarantine hotel locked in a room for 11 nights grieving and unable to comfort her family or help with funeral arrangements etc? Nah its absolutely heartless. Let her and those like her, in those circumstances fly in, take daily pcr tests after testing prior to flying and help their family. 

I agree, but am not clear about how far the exemption her father's condition allows her, goes. 

Guest TheJTS98
4 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:
30 minutes ago, anotherchance said:
Invent good vaccines and jag people with them.
Any chance of you answering mine? 

Do that but try not to reopen everything when the case rate is enormous. That seems a smidgen reckless to me.

Pretty simple, really.

And it's telling that pretty much every country in the world that has a good record of handling covid is looking at what the UK is about to do and saying 'fuuuuuuuck'.

You bring the numbers down, you vaccinate, you open up. Pretty straightforward.

The UK's pariah status will be confirmed if it ends up producing a new variant that slows the global emergence from covid. The transport hub point is a big one. Decisions in the UK have consequences.

The UK simply has a government that prizes the economy over all else, despite all the evidence we have that the economy can easily be kept ticking over to a reasonable degree.

Edited by TheJTS98

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Maybe stop defending it to the hilt then?

Just correcting false takes. It's worth noting that no politician or unionist media outlet has chosen to take up this story to hammer the Government, other than the BBC, as far as I am aware. If there was anything in it they'd be all over it. 

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I agree, but am not clear about how far the exemption her father's condition allows her, goes. 

Thats the whole point, theres a complete lack of clarity. How do these visits get accommodated, do they have to have serco accompany them like a prisoner? Are they tagged? What if theres a staff shortage or similar madness and then the visit cant be allowed. 
The entire thing has been hareum scareum. 
Why hasnt anyone reached out in these interviews to take a bit of ownership? 
You know what would have put Leitch up in my estimation say to the girl ‘get in touch with… department, ill tell them to expect to hear from you and take ownership of this, we’ll make sure you get to see your father’ instead of lecturing a person in a vulnerable state about variants. The girls dad is dying of a disease which for the last 18 months has killed more people than covid. 
Responding to the covid situation should not stop a decent government from retaining its humanity. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Except she wouldn't be breaking any rules by going to see her father.

You are not allowed to leave managed quarantine for a dying relative, you have to "request" to leave.  So she would have been breaking the rules.

Guest TheJTS98
3 minutes ago, strichener said:

You are not allowed to leave managed quarantine for a dying relative, you have to "request" to leave.  So she would have been breaking the rules.

That's like saying teachers at school are evil because kids can't go to the toilet. They have to 'request' to go to the toilet.

The video posted above shows quite clearly she'd have been able to visit.

Thats the whole point, theres a complete lack of clarity. How do these visits get accommodated, do they have to have serco accompany them like a prisoner? Are they tagged? What if theres a staff shortage or similar madness and then the visit cant be allowed. 
The entire thing has been hareum scareum. 
Why hasnt anyone reached out in these interviews to take a bit of ownership? 
You know what would have put Leitch up in my estimation say to the girl ‘get in touch with… department, ill tell them to expect to hear from you and take ownership of this, we’ll make sure you get to see your father’ instead of lecturing a person in a vulnerable state about variants. The girls dad is dying of a disease which for the last 18 months has killed more people than covid. 
Responding to the covid situation should not stop a decent government from retaining its humanity. 
That's why Leitch isn't a politician, but a civil servant - a politician's instant response would be different - he gave the bureaucratic civil servant response.

I suspect that there will be a political response to this today that will do just that.

Just now, TheJTS98 said:

That's like saying teachers at school are evil because kids can't go to the toilet. They have to 'request' to go to the toilet.

The video posted above shows quite clearly she'd have been able to visit.

Your anaolgy is shit.  Who is the "teacher" when you are in managed quarantine?

Guest TheJTS98
2 minutes ago, strichener said:

Your anaolgy is shit.  Who is the "teacher" when you are in managed quarantine?

The authority you make the request to. I'd have thought that was obvious.

Just now, strichener said:

Just quite some UK legislation about it.  I am sure that will explain everything.

The legislation can't describe every possible situation, different allowances will be made according to individual circumstances.

1 minute ago, TheJTS98 said:

The authority you make the request to. I'd have thought that was obvious.

So, you have no idea.  Not surprising tbh. 

You are determined to make yourself look like an absolute c**t and now understanding this, I think I'll bid you good day.

Just now, welshbairn said:

The legislation can't describe every possible situation, different allowances will be made according to individual circumstances.

So not black and white then.  Do you know what enquiries were made before giving your version of her story?

Guest TheJTS98
2 minutes ago, strichener said:

You are determined to make yourself look like an absolute c**t and now understanding this, I think I'll bid you good day.

I've never been in managed quarantine. How would I know?

You're desperate to make a big issue out of this 'request' thing. Leitch clearly says in the video above that it's allowed. You're simply wrong.

But you carry on.

Guest TheJTS98
6 minutes ago, strichener said:

It's quite clear in this link too.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-international-travel-quarantine/pages/what-you-must-do/

Leaving the hotel for a funeral, or because a close family member/friend is dying

As long as you have not tested positive or do not have COVID-19 symptoms, you can request to leave the hotel you are isolating in to go to the funeral of a close family member or friend, or to visit a close family member or friend who is dying.

You're making yourself look a bit silly here.

Edited by TheJTS98

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Awful lot of "not sures" flying about considering this lassie was very recently accused of "wanting a wee holiday in the Balearics" before getting round to her dying parent

What's not in doubt is that she chose to do her quarantining in Mallorca instead of Scotland, where she could have spent time with her father.

At no time has she been banned from flying home and seeing him, as was made out in the BBC article.