Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I'm sure we had similar jumping through hoops to justify the Scottish government not letting a terminally ill woman go on holiday with her kids one last time last year until they finally relented.
giphy.gif&key=be94c0360dc88c8ea710111a531a5c8814e1cd3776d41a3bd4ab4132d5c0e21b

Incorrect.

In that case she was perfectly entitled to go.

No hoops had to be gone through.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Just because the Swedish government didn't make restrictions mandatory didn't mean that people didn't wear masks and work from home.

They also did have restrictions, and the 2nd time round they were stronger than in their Nordic neighbours

https://www.ft.com/content/c64b7e37-f00b-4e74-acf8-49c039c57698 

Guest TheJTS98
11 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Wow.  I’m actually embarrassed for you.  

The boy red-dotted a post where I encouraged someone who thought the populations of Australia and NZ were 'incarcerated' to get some better sources of information. The poster I was replying to was completely wrong and labouring under a quite serious misapprehension.

20,000 people watched the All Blacks this week. I've just watched Rugby League from Australia with a crowd and my mate (who was at the game) was out having a beer before it.

Elixir is actively against people being well-informed.

He's best just ignored. I'd avoid wasting any more time on him.

Edited by TheJTS98

15 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Do you think the vaccines don't work or something?

Yes, I think the vaccines work.

No, I don't think they are some magical cloak of invulnerability lifted from the caldera of a smouldering volcano or rubbed out of a lamp by an unlikely band of half-lings and elves or an eponymous hero with a penchant for petty theft. 

1 minute ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Yes, I think the vaccines work.

No, I don't think they are some magical cloak of invulnerability lifted from the caldera of a smouldering volcano or rubbed out of a lamp by an unlikely band of half-lings and elves or an eponymous hero with a penchant for petty theft. 

What’s your plan for normal life to resume, in that case?

10 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

The boy red-dotted a post where I encouraged someone who thought the populations of Australia and NZ were 'incarcerated' to get some better sources of information. The poster I was replying to was completely wrong and labouring under a quite serious misapprehension.

20,000 people watched the All Blacks this week. I've just watched Rugby League from Australia with a crowd and my mate (who was at the game) was out having a beer before it.

Elixir is actively against people being well-informed.

He's best just ignored. I'd avoid wasting any more time on him.

I certainly will confess that my knowledge of the situation in the Antipodes is lacking but I keep reading on the BBC website about frequent state and city lockdowns and stay at home orders because of a few cases springing up. Also, is it not the case that international travel is virtually banned?

Presumably, they’re going for zero Covid which NS was forced to abandon in favour of vaccination and ‘living with covid’.

Guest TheJTS98
7 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I certainly will confess that my knowledge of the situation in the Antipodes is lacking but I keep reading on the BBC website about frequent state and city lockdowns and stay at home orders because of a few cases springing up. Also, is it not the case that international travel is virtually banned?

Presumably, they’re going for zero Covid which NS was forced to abandon in favour of vaccination and ‘living with covid’.

They have short lockdowns to avoid the hundreds of thousands of deaths that the UK had. Check the numbers. Keep in mind that Australia has about a third of the UK's population.

International travel is banned, yes, because that's the sensible thing to do. Again, look at the records of countries who have done this compared with countries who have not.

They're not going for zero covid. Despite what you read on this thread, no countries are going for zero covid that I know of. They are waiting until they are vaccinated to a good enough level to safely open up.

The level of misinformation on this thread about what is happening in other countries is staggering. This constant idea on here that anyone continuing with restrictions is in favour of zero covid is more than a year out of date and is dangerous nonsense to keep repeating. Yet the usual suspects on here encourage people to think it.

Covid life in Australia or New Zealand has been miles better than almost anywhere else in the world. Incarceration is not a sensible depiction of what has been happening. Their economy has mainly stayed open, their social lives have mainly carried on, and they have stayed alive rather than dying in huge numbers as in countries that have repeatedly made the wrong calls.

Edited by TheJTS98

The biggest issue as far as I was aware is that they are way behind us (and everywhere else) in terms of vaccinations. Last in the OECD in terms of vaccinations.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/13/how-long-can-australia-go-on-like-this-how-the-world-viewed-feeble-covid-vaccine-rollout

I hope none of the people scoring points off a young lassie and her terminally ill fathers struggle to see eachother 1 last time, ever have to walk even a yard in their shoes.

A heartbreaking scenario giving rise to the wildest takes yet seen on this thread, all in the name of defending Jason Leitch.

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

Honestly, that's what I would have done.

Under those circumstances I'd have ignored the rules and taken any fine coming my way.

I wouldn't even have given it a seconds thought to be honest and I don't understand why she didn't just do that.

How Jason Leitch, and anyone else imposing restrictions on family visits to dying loved ones, can live with themselves over decisions like this I just don't know.

Except she wouldn't be breaking any rules by going to see her father.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I hope none of the people scoring points off a young lassie and her terminally ill fathers struggle to see eachother 1 last time, ever have to walk even a yard in their shoes.

A heartbreaking scenario giving rise to the wildest takes yet seen on this thread, all in the name of defending Jason Leitch.

Total pish.

But, given it’s you, I wouldn’t have expected you to actually think about the situation.  Best to just default to “Clownshoes bad” as normal. 

26 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

They have short lockdowns to avoid the hundreds of thousands of deaths that the UK had. Check the numbers. Keep in mind that Australia has about a third of the UK's population.

International travel is banned, yes, because that's the sensible thing to do. Again, look at the records of countries who have done this compared with countries who have not.

They're not going for zero covid. Despite what you read on this thread, no countries are going for zero covid that I know of. They are waiting until they are vaccinated to a good enough level to safely open up.

The level of misinformation on this thread about what is happening in other countries is staggering. This constant idea on here that anyone continuing with restrictions is in favour of zero covid is more than a year out of date and is dangerous nonsense to keep repeating. Yet the usual suspects on here encourage people to think it.

Covid life in Australia or New Zealand has been miles better than almost anywhere else in the world. Incarceration is not a sensible depiction of what has been happening. Their economy has mainly stayed open, their social lives have mainly carried on, and they have stayed alive rather than dying in huge numbers as in countries that have repeatedly made the wrong calls.

Australia and NZ's vaccine rollout is far behind Western Europe. Also, they've managed to create fertile ground for vaccine scepticism (why bother getting the vaccine?) that will make it difficult for them to achieve herd immunity any time soon.

However I expect 2020 NZ and 2021 UK to be the best ways to deal with future pandemics when we look back.

9 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Australia and NZ's vaccine rollout is far behind Western Europe. Also, they've managed to create fertile ground for vaccine scepticism (why bother getting the vaccine?) that will make it difficult for them to achieve herd immunity any time soon.

However I expect 2020 NZ and 2021 UK to be the best ways to deal with future pandemics when we look back.

I think Australia and possibly NZ messed up by putting all their eggs in one basket, an Aussie developed vaccine that failed testing. That and thinking they had it pretty much under control so lacked a sense of urgency. My sister's 65 in August and she's just about the get her first jag in New Zealand.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/11/world/australia/uq-coronavirus-vaccine-false-positive.html 

"continue a bit longer".....
are you listening to yourself?
Here are some other examples we've been forced to listen to from people on your side of the argument.
"a few more weeks"
"a bit longer"
"not too much to ask"
We've been hearing this type of utter shite for over a year and we're done with it.
Period.

The "just another couple of weeks" argument is one of the most disingenuous things going. Glasgow had a "two week" firebreak lockdown that ended up lasting about 7 months.

I have sympathy with folk arguing for extended lockdowns on the basis that it probably would still have marginal public health benefits compared to reopening, even if it does have enormous negative impact on most other aspects of society. However they have to be honest about how long they are actually wanting us to remain locked down, and the answer to that is probably at least another 9 months until next spring.

You were saying that you didn’t have to make the decision of how to travel back to see your dying dad.
I was suggesting that i would hope that if you had to make that decision, you would decide to travel straight to him, rather than having a quick holiday in advance.
Are you feeling a touch sensitive this morning?
I am maybe being a bit thick here but how could she travel back to Scotland from a red list country and not go into hotel quarantine?