Coronavirus (COVID-19)

20 minutes ago, s_dog said:

Except in Scotland LFT results aren't included in the testing figures, and in three weeks hospital numbers have gone from 177 to 543, and ICU from 17 to 47. But aye, apart from that you and James have maybe got a point.

Mass LFT testing is digging out asymptomatic cases which weren't included in previous UK waves or current figures in other countries. Our method of measuring the pandemic has changed but the figures are being interpreted in the same way. 

There are also questions about how tests are being carried out in how many genetic markers are required for a positive test and how many cycles are used on the PCR tests. 

Edited by Detournement

11 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

And shockingly (to absolutely nobody) ‘the main players’ are people who red dot your terrible posts.

Another one crying over dots. Glorious stuff.

And shockingly,(to absolutely nobody) you yet again display the comprehension skills of a four year old. A four year old sheep, appropriately. 

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I sincerely hope the c*nts on here never have to go through anything as traumatic as a war.  If they moan about having to wear a face mask Christ only knows how they would survive something like that.

Err, in the event of war I would say you probably have to worry more about the spines of fuds wanting the state to mandate a bit of cloth slapped over people's gubs for a wee bit extra 'protection'... from a virus that we have extremely effective vaccines for.

Go figure.

20 minutes ago, s_dog said:

Except in Scotland LFT results aren't included in the testing figures, and in three weeks hospital numbers have gone from 177 to 543, and ICU from 17 to 47. But aye, apart from that you and James have maybe got a point.

This is fair analysis, but so is the fact that this wave has already peaked in terms of 'case numbers', and soon will in terms of hospitalisations and deaths - and yet the Scottish NHS was nowhere remotely close to being 'overwhelmed'.

Despite this, life is still restricted.

6 minutes ago, Elixir said:

yet the Scottish NHS was nowhere remotely close to being 'overwhelmed'.

Despite this, life is still restricted.

As you say, we're not at the peak of hospital numbers yet, but some hospitals cancelling non-urgent surgery is a sign that they are at least starting to be a bit overwhelmed. 

The restrictions are getting less restrictive, and we're a million miles away from lockdown. 

Things are looking better, though you'd never guess reading this thread.

2,047 new cases of COVID-19 reported (2086 yesterday)

26,868 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results 

8.5% of these were positive (6.6% yesterday)

5 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (19 yesterday)

48 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (up from 47)

532 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 ( down from 543)

3,963,502 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 2,940,202 have received their second dose

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Just now, Distant Doonhamer said:

2,047 new cases of COVID-19 reported (2086 yesterday)

26,868 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results 

8.5% of these were positive (6.6% yesterday)

5 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (19 yesterday)

48 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (up from 47)

532 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 ( down from 543)

3,963,502 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 2,940,202 have received their second dose

Yaaaaas Hospital figures down today. 

19 hours ago, Detournement said:

Plus you are killing 35 people a week with pollution. 

What's the big deal about walking or riding a bike?

I can only assume that you live in a city or large town, for people like myself who live "out in the country" that is just a ludicrous statement and sadly there seems to be quite a few with the same ignorant attitudes nowadays.

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

I can only assume that you live in a city or large town, for people like myself who live "out in the country" that is just a ludicrous statement and sadly there seems to be quite a few with the same ignorant attitudes nowadays.

It was sarcasm comparing potential deaths via unmasking to deaths caused by air pollution. 

I agree with you about cars. Asking people in areas where they are vital to reduce their usage is wrong. 

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

These cancellations driven by combination of a lack of staff due to isolating and many not serious issues that can be either phoned to a GP surgery of be treated at home, rather than hospitals being overwhelmed with people in serious conditions from COVID.

Overwhelmed with stuff like this list from pre pandemic -

The 10 most ridiculous reasons people have been to A&E

1. Broken false finger nail that wouldn't come off

2. Splinter in finger

3. Needing emergency contraception

4. Shaving cut, that wasn't visible

5. Paper cut

6. Months of back pain, but not seen a GP

7. Sore throat

8. Hiccups

9. Unable to sleep

10. Run out of medication

It would be funny if it wasn't wasting valuable time for staff in seeing people with serious problems.

Tbf see when you go to A&E and they ask what's up to get your prioritisation, surely that person tells all these people to f**k off so they don't actually cause any more than a slight delay in speaking to someone.

5 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It was sarcasm comparing potential deaths via unmasking to deaths caused by air pollution. 

I agree with you about cars. Asking people in areas where they are vital to reduce their usage is wrong. 

Sorry, Yes, it just really annoys me when you read all this garbage about "people should walk", "people should cycle to work" etc, which is a little difficult when you live over 25 miles from your workplace, the bus service is virtually non existent and the nearest railway station is over 4 miles from your house.

4 minutes ago, Snafu said:

These cancellations driven by combination of a lack of staff due to isolating and many not serious issues that can be either phoned to a GP surgery of be treated at home, rather than hospitals being overwhelmed with people in serious conditions from COVID.

Yeah that's a fair enough point. But at the same time, it's still the increased numbers of patients with Covid in hospitals, and the mitigations that have to be put in place to deal with them, that has the biggest impact on hospitals being able to treat other patients. Staffing numbers is the interesting one, and if they decide those fully vaccinated no longer have to self-isolate.

I'm sure I've heard Sturgeon multiple times saying "we're in a race between the vaccine and the virus".

So what's going on now, the vaccine is going slower and slower (were they not doing 40,000+ a day at some point?)

Screenshot_20210716_142358.jpg

1 hour ago, s_dog said:

As you say, we're not at the peak of hospital numbers yet, but some hospitals cancelling non-urgent surgery is a sign that they are at least starting to be a bit overwhelmed. 

The restrictions are getting less restrictive, and we're a million miles away from lockdown. 

Things are looking better, though you'd never guess reading this thread.

Going by today's figures, I'd say we've had it or are at it right now. As has been mentioned, lack of staff through pointless isolation is the reason for some hospitals having to cancel non-essential treatment. It should also be noted that the cancelling of non-essential treatment regularly happened during previous winters before Covid, but back then fundamental civil liberties were not determined by the NHS getting busier than they'd like.

Edited by Elixir

Just now, cbhaf said:

I'm sure I've heard Sturgeon multiple times saying "we're in a race between the vaccine and the virus".

So what's going on now, the vaccine is going slower and slower (were they not doing 40,000+ a day at some point?)

The race is very nearly run as we reach the limit of vaccine uptake. Those already vaccinated will never be safer than they are now, and the virus will eventually get to those who aren't, who will either die or survive and contribute towards population immunity.

Daily Cases Update:   Day 10 of dropping cases. Down an excellent 3.54% to 308.5   Infectivity also down to 9.5%.  We are now down 27.43% on the "Peak" of our 3rd Wave. It is surely not going to surge again now.

Still expecting falls for the next 3 days at least.  Midlothian is now as low as 21st place in the UK table as parts of England continue their 3rd wave.  Only risers apart from the lowly teuchters in Scotland appears to be in Lanarkshire for some reason.

Netherlands now romping clear in Europe, followed by England, Spain, Scotland and then a large gap to Portugal.

Total Cases Scotland 7 days from 7th July to 13th July  were  17,472 to 16,853 down 3.54%.  Positivity was 9.6%  now 9.5%.   Cases per 100k were   319.8 now 308.5

Home Nations Daily update  :  UK Average 329.9 to 336.7 up 2.06%, England 341.5 to 350.3 up 2.58%, Wales 154.1 to 159.3 up 3.37%, Northern Ireland  197.7 to 204.9 up 3.64%

New temporary source for Mainland Europe

Latest European figures today.   Netherlands 341.5 to 373.8 , Spain  306.8 to 328.9 , Portugal 202.0 to 205.6, Greece 161.6 to 168.7

Scotland peaks in Wave 3 at 425.1 for 27th June to 3rd July, (UK was 229.9) . Cases that day were 23,222 and positivity 10.8%

Scotland previously peaked in wave 2 at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan, (UK was 642.1)    Cases that day were 16,496 and test positivity rate was 11.9%  

Council progress in last 24 Hours as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

Midlothian 637.0 to 587.3  Excellent day Down 7.80% 

Dundee City   514.3 to 498.3   10th day in a row of dropping.

Angus 442.3 to 426.9

Inverclyde  443.4 to 430.6 

City Of Edinburgh 430.2 to 407.5  10th day in a row of dropping.

East Lothian  418.3 to 404.3 

North Lanarkshire    366.8 to 369.4  2 days of rises. An outlier.

East Renfrewshire  383.1 to 360.1 

Glasgow City  373.9 to 356.8

West Dunbartonshire  364.3 to 332.8 Down excellent 8.65%

Renfrewshire  343.4 to 332.8 

Fife  332.8 to 323.1   

West Lothian   339.2 to 320.6   

Perth & Kinross  332.3 to 314.6  

Aberdeen City   319.2 to 298.2 

Falkirk  313.9 to 297.1  

East Dunbartonshire  293.6 to 262.3 Down excellent 17.65% in 2 days.

South Lanarkshire   242.7 to 250.8  

Stirling  242.0 to 229.3 

Scottish  Borders   220.8 to 206.9 

Highlands  200.6 to 202.3 

Aberdeenshire    203.7 to 199.1

North Ayrshire  207.8 to 195.9 Down superb 17.76% in 2 days.

South Ayrshire  182.9 to 188.3  

East Ayrshire  188.5 to 181.1

Moray   146.1 to 157.6

Clackmannanshire  166.9 to 155.2

Shetland Islands   113.4 to 144.0

Argyll & Bute   154.9 to 138.6

Dumfries & Galloway  112.2 to 127.0 

Orkney Islands   143.7 to 121.2

Western Isles   59.9 to 44.9

Edited by superbigal

6 minutes ago, cbhaf said:

It’s definitely been knocked by the number of cases we have just now, I’m one among the many that’ll need to wait until august for their first dose due to getting the virus.

Speaking from the people I associate myself with, everyone has either had theres or is waiting on the 28 days from getting the virus to pass before getting their vaccine.