Coronavirus (COVID-19)

On masks, it should be remembered that all UK Governments receive the same public health advice. There isn’t some special Scottish/Welsh/English science that is making the governments reach different conclusions.

Whitty made it clear that he would still be wearing his own mask in indoor situations at last Monday’s press conference, even making a comment along the lines of ‘it’s his decision’ and pointing at Johnson when asked by a journalist why he’d personally be wearing one when it isn’t government policy. That’s as close to publicly saying he disagrees with the policy to officially ditch them as we’ll get, so with that in mind I would make an educated guess that the advice is to keep them for now in indoor settings, across the UK.

So it comes down to political choice, with leaks to the media today essentially saying Johnson was worried his backbenchers would oust him if he didn’t ditch masks. It seems England rather than being set free from them will be on track for a US-style culture war, with different shops and different industries having completely different stances. I’m not sure that’s really helpful to anyone in reality, and certainly not as ‘free’ as it sounds.

On a personal level, if everything but masks are gone on August 9th I’ll be content. Certainly take the point that it’s a selfish viewpoint as I don’t need to work in one, however, and I hope they’re punted as soon as possible. I’d even be comfortable with allowing staff to discard them. But the reaction in England suggests the population at large aren’t ready for them to entirely go just yet.

Honestly can’t see many businesses enforcing mask wearing when its NOT mandatory considering next to no c**t is enforcing it just now when it IS mandatory

Just now, ICTChris said:

No, I confirmed I had my second vaccination more than a week ago. 

Still none of their business, though.

Under the current rules and guidelines, it makes absolutely no difference to either them or you.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Hardly anyone actually needs to be exempt, its utter nonsense. I get certain conditions like ASD and PTSD and others can be valid arguments for not wearing one but theres absolutely no way anyone with asthma (which is the most common excuse for wearing one that i’ve heard) needs a mask exemption. 

I have asthma, and wear a mask - however mine isn’t particularly bad and it can be hard to breathe if somewhere is hot and you have to wear a mask for any length of time. I can see how someone with worse asthma would be unable to wear one, especially if needed for longer than five minutes in the shop. 

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Under the current rules and guidelines, it makes absolutely no difference to either them or you.

Maybe he was booking a holiday to Malta where it certainly would be a suppliers business.

3 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Maybe he was booking a holiday to Malta where it certainly would be a suppliers business.

This seems unlikely.

Just a wee bit surprised people are happy to hand out personal medical information to businesses when they don't have to.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Hardly anyone actually needs to be exempt, its utter nonsense. I get certain conditions like ASD and PTSD and others can be valid arguments for not wearing one but theres absolutely no way anyone with asthma (which is the most common excuse for wearing one that i’ve heard) needs a mask exemption. 

You ever had asthma? Genuine question

5 minutes ago, Doakes said:

You ever had asthma? Genuine question

No but i know a few doctors with asthma who manage no worries in warm operating theatres for hours on end. 
Regardless the people im referring to with the fags hanging out the mouth chain smoking saying they cant wear one because ‘asthma’ are the issue. Especially when they’ve never even had an inhaler for years. 
Every friend I know with asthma and my younger brother who had severe childhood asthma and still uses an inhaler as an adult all manage fine. 

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

24 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Incorrect. Every employer/business have a legal obligation under Health and Safety law to safeguard their employees and everyone affected by their undertakings. 

They are required to identify all hazards, risk asses and rank them, applying neccesary controls to reduce risks to an acceptable level to ALARP. Eliminating them being the preferred and highest ranked solution. 

COVID  is now a recognised hazard and employers can and in accordance with law, provide documentary evidence that the hazard has been identified and assessed, with control measures in place to reduce risk and that it is being effectively managed. 

Employers are already doing this and those opening up their business and having workers return to offices etc for the first time will also need to apply this process and indeed evidence of vaxxing would be an obvious step in determining any planned control measures to ensure employees and all others who may be affected are indeed protected. 

To add, those returning to work who are not vaxxed for whatever reason, may need additional protection for obvious reasons, even the consideration of home working, but only if that is feasible VIA CBA. If not its parting of the ways time. 

Life going forward will NOT be like before. 

Edited by BlueBear

15 minutes ago, Snafu said:

What about those who don't wear a sunflower lanyard and don't wear masks are they mutants as well and should be told so?

Do they have a genuine medical exemption? 
Im sorry but i genuinely contend that people use those lanyards without genuine cause and in real terms hardly any one actually has to avoid wearing a mask on medical grounds. 

Heres an article outlining concerns raised by genuine users about misuse of the lanyard, I feel genuinely sorry for these people. 
https://www.sr-news.com/2021/04/16/is-the-sunflower-lanyard-being-used-for-the-wrong-reasons/

Heres a statement from hidden disabilities outlining concerns about lanyard misuse.

https://hiddendisabilitiesstore.com/blog/post/a-statement-from-hidden-disabilities

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/emma-lucy-thomson.net/2021/05/03/do-not-abuse-the-sunflower-lanyard-scheme/amp/

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

15 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

This seems unlikely.

Just a wee bit surprised people are happy to hand out personal medical information to businesses when they don't have to.

I can understand people being wary of giving genetic ancestry data or recent medical files away to someone who might flog it to insurance or mortgage companies, but how could it harm you if it was widely known that you were Covid vaccinated?

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

How can you tell the difference between someone say in Tesco using one for medical grounds from someone who's at it?

You would need to ask them wouldn't you?

Thats exactly the point which enrages me about the misuse of the lanyard, its a fantastic scheme which has been cheapened by people misusing it in terms of mask exemption.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I can understand people being wary of giving genetic ancestry data or recent medical files away to someone who might flog it to insurance or mortgage companies, but how could it harm you if it was widely known that you were Covid vaccinated?

It's not about being harmed, it's about businesses asking personal medical questions they have no need to ask.

As it currently stands, your vaccination status makes no difference as to whether or not you can use their services. I'd be interested to know why they want to know and what they will do with the information.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

It's not about being harmed, it's about businesses asking personal medical questions they have no need to ask.

As it currently stands, your vaccination status makes no difference as to whether or not you can use their services. I'd be interested to know why they want to know and what they will do with the information.

As said before, there are lots of countries where it makes a difference if you're booking a flight. Otherwise, maybe they're using it to gauge if you're reckless or inconsiderate before selling car insurance? It shouldn't really matter what postcode you live in or what job you do, but they use that to decide your risk.