Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Any idea how far in advance they send out second jag letters? That’s me six weeks after my first, not arsed about getting it on the exact date but have stuff to plan (including feeling like dirt after the second dose)
Your appointment will be visible on the NHS website by now

3 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Hardly anyone here at Easter Road is wearing their masks and the stewards aren’t bothered either. 

Same at Saints.

Some weirdo clearly complained as part way through the 2nd half there was an announce reminding people they had to wear a face mask, which was met by total silence as not one person bothered 😂

At my work there is a guy that has tested positive and it's quite worrying.  He had to shield due to his asthma I think and now he is off with Covid.  He is quite young, late 30's early 40's.  Asked one guy and he said he has no symptoms.  Hopefully that is true, but who knows.  He's been double jabbed.
Good to hear he has no symptoms, hopefully the vaccine doing its job. Hope he stays well.

Was it a proper test that confirmed the positive result or one of the ones you do at home?

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Same at Saints.

Some weirdo clearly complained as part way through the 2nd half there was an announce reminding people they had to wear a face mask, which was met by total silence as not one person bothered 😂

That weirdo Jason Leitch by any chance? 

Getting into the ground tonight was fine. Just showed your ticket and in you go. No checking your temperature or asking if you have any symptoms or have had Covid in the past. Once in my seat there was others in my section not wearing them so off my mask went and no queuing system in place going to the toilets. 

Fantastic stuff. Good result too. Hopefully both our clubs can have more fans in for our European campaign’s in the coming weeks. 

Popped into the local walk in centre down here in Norwich today as I happened to be passing to see if I could get my second dose. Nurse wouldn't let me as apparently I have to wait another 9 days. I could understand it if it was really busy, but there were only about 5 people in the place, compared to when I went to get my first jab when it was queued round the block. They really need to look at reducing the dosage interval a bit more now that the majority of first jabs are done. I mean, obviously I will go and get my second dose but it would've been nice to get it out of the way today.

Exactly. Absolute theatre. Anyone who "feels safer" because the person sitting maskless 1m away from them for 2 hours wears a mask to walk to toilet is either at it or needs to give their head a wobble.
It's not about protecting the person sitting across the table, it's about protecting everyone else in the building. That's not difficult to understand.

The rule is far from perfect, but there is clear reasoning behind it.
I would love to see the evidence (or lack of) for some of the nonsense in Level 0.
Why are pubs uniquely dangerous places between midnight and 1am but private homes are not? Why is it safe for ‘10 people from 4 households’ to meet in a cafe but only for ‘8 people from 4 households’ to do so in a house?
Why is social distancing required ‘between different households’ in hospitality but ‘not required’ in homes? Why is the cap on outdoor gatherings still 15? Why is the cap on sports events 2000 regardless of stadia size?
Surely no one is now following this pish? 
It's all a balancing act.

They're trying to keep some mitigations, which will help reduce transmission, whilst also allowing people to live their lives.

Under those circumstances there will always be things that don't match up.

But again, there's clear reasoning behind it all.

There are increasing numbers of folk ignoring the rules completely, but there are also still loads of people following them to the letter. In that sense they're still having some impact.
Aye and is the whole point of masks during surgery more so you don't accidentally spit/sneeze/cough into someone's chest cavity whilst you've got them opened up and your hands and arms are slightly pre occupied ? Not the the fact it will magically catch all the germs you expel? 
Yes. Just like covid...

Droplets contaminate, and masks provide some (to what degree is still being investigated) form of protection.

No-one is suggesting that masks will magically prevent the sitar of covid - but most experts think they help.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Fwiw Blackpool was probably at about 30% mask use age today in the various indoor arcades. I was probably in the 70% most of the time because it was ducking roasting and I was seething at losing £4 (four) on the 2p tipping point machines the robbing c***s.

We went to Weston super Mare for our holidays as kids (Grandma Bam lived there). One day on the Grand Pier I innocently discovered that you could stand about 10 feet away from the 10 p Penny Falls, lightly tap the pier floorboards and this would make the money fall down without setting off the tilt alarm. 

Got chased out for that eventually. 

Yes. Just like covid...

Droplets contaminate, and masks provide some (to what degree is still being investigated) form of protection.

No-one is suggesting that masks will magically prevent the sitar of covid - but most experts think they help.

You would think they would know by now how much protection a random piece of fabric provides.

12 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

It's not about protecting the person sitting across the table, it's about protecting everyone else in the building. That's not difficult to understand.

I can't believe people believe this pish. It's an airbourne virus. It doesn't just decide not to become airbourne as soon as you sit down any more than it decides it can infect people only once you stand up to walk to the toilet. If you are shedding virus for over an hour whilst you are sitting down talking and laughing etc then wearing a mask to walk in and out the door is utter nonsense.

Similarly, where toilet trips are concerned, wearing masks in a room for 1 minute out of 2 hours isn't protecting anyone.

It's Lovejoy placating. Nothing more.

Edited by Todd_is_God

You would think they would know by now how much protection a random piece of fabric provides.

Why do surgeons wear them?
I can't believe people believe this pish. It's an airbourne virus. It doesn't just decide not to become airbourne as soon as you sit down any more than it decides it can infect people once you stand up to walk to the toilet.
Wearing masks in a room for 1 minute out of 2 hours isn't protecting anyone.
It's Lovejoy placating. Nothing more.
It also spreads through droplets, though, and masks help (a bit).

Just now, pandarilla said:

It also spreads through droplets, though, and masks help (a bit).

Droplets, compared to airborne particles, are a much smaller risk.

It's like closing your car window to reduce the risk of it being stolen, but leaving the door unlocked with the key in the ignition.

It's like closing your car window to reduce the risk of it being stolen, but leaving the door unlocked with the key in the ignition.
Aye, that's what it's like.

Just now, pandarilla said:
2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Aye, that's what it's like.

Unfortunately for you, it is

Surgeons don't wear cloth masks or bandanas, though, do they?
And lots of folk aren't wearing cloth masks either. When they brought that law in, they did so because they knew there would be a shortage of actual masks, and that would have deeper consequences.

So having the rule still has an impact. In school, the vast majority of masks being worn are medical masks.

4 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

And lots of folk aren't wearing cloth masks either. When they brought that law in, they did so because they knew there would be a shortage of actual masks, and that would have deeper consequences.

So having the rule still has an impact. In school, the vast majority of masks being worn are medical masks.

The overwhelming majority of people I see out and about are. There's a reason why people who are required to provide their own mask often choose to wear cheap, reusable, cloth masks.

Those medical masks are working wonders in schools, of course...

Edited by Todd_is_God

Returning home from Majorca tomorrow. We booked a wee week away as our original honeymoon was cancelled. It’s felt like ‘normal’ on the whole over here, just masks indoors and that’s it. Apart from that it’s been like any other holiday. Thankfully our pre-departure tests were negative so all clear to return home.