Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Ireland still going horse racing. Germany has the same provisions as us.
Where this ludicrous 'OMG  only the UK are just doing nothing ' rhetoric has come from i have no idea. Or the laughable suggestion that we would have done nothing if erm France hadn't guilted us into it? Lol.

It comes from a very understandable distrust of the Conservative government, but this ignores the fact that this a SNP endorsed response to medical advice.

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Result being the wrong word, but New York alone is in a frightening situation relative to anywhere in this country. The point is that whatever we as P&B experts think, the UK isn’t just winging this.

It seems like they are. And the Singaporean government thinks they are. And the French government seem to think they might be, hence the threat of a travel ban. And the Spanish scientists seem to think the UK government are being reckless.

Compare and contrast. The UK has apparently announced a 'lockdown', yet we have people on building sites, people in hairdressers, mechanics' opening left, right, and centre, and people thinking they can visit their mates. We have people completely unsure whether they count as essential workers, we have packed trains and buses, we have businesses seemingly deciding for themselves whether to open or not.

Korea hasn't even announced a lockdown yet, but my work has already been told that we are closing our office there on Thursday. There hasn't even been a public announcement yet, and the Korean government is telling businesses what to do. They are also testing thousands of people every day and isolating even mild cases of the virus.

Countries like Malaysia, Italy, Spain have rigorous movement controls in place where there is no confusion about what you can or can't do, or who should and should not be at work. This is being enforced by police and/or military and the message is getting across.

Meanwhile, in the UK, fucking chaos. People in the UK are not inherently more stupid than people in these other countries, but they have been fed a shambolic message and now nobody seems to know what they're meant to do.

Just now, JTS98 said:

It seems like they are. And the Singaporean government thinks they are. And the French government seem to think they might be, hence the threat of a travel ban. And the Spanish scientists seem to think the UK government are being reckless.

Compare and contrast. The UK has apparently announced a 'lockdown', yet we have people on building sites, people in hairdressers, mechanics' opening left, right, and centre, and people thinking they can visit their mates. We have people completely unsure whether they count as essential workers, we have packed trains and buses, we have businesses seemingly deciding for themselves whether to open or not.

Korea hasn't even announced a lockdown yet, but my work has already been told that we are closing our office there on Thursday. There hasn't even been a public announcement yet, and the Korean government is telling businesses what to do. They are also testing thousands of people every day and isolating even mild cases of the virus.

Countries like Malaysia, Italy, Spain have rigorous movement controls in place where there is no confusion about what you can or can't do, or who should and should not be at work. This is being enforced by police and/or military and the message is getting across.

Meanwhile, in the UK, fucking chaos. People in the UK are not inherently more stupid than people in these other countries, but they have been fed a shambolic message and now nobody seems to know what they're meant to do.

Why do you use the UK and not Germany in your posts?

Are Germany recklessly winging it too? Have they attracted the ire of the true experts who we all know are Malaysian?

I'm hearing reports of a police road block near me questioning why people are out driving. 
Police Scotland obviously chomping at the bit to use their new fash powers.
1. "I'm hearing" always sounds like bullshit.
2. Heard on the radio this morning that the new police powers won't actually come until effect until Thursday.
3. Police are going to be breaking up large groups outside (groups of kids hanging about on street corners and the like), they aren't going to be checking individual cars at road blocks in case someone slips up and says "aye, fair enough, I'm just out a run in the car" when it will further delay and inconvenience key workers going to essential jobs and services.

Other than that, top post.

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, Bairn Necessities said:

Why do you use the UK and not Germany in your posts?

Are Germany recklessly winging it too? Have they attracted the ire of the true experts who we all know are Malaysian?

Germany may well be too.

You seem to be hung up on Malaysia, but I've mentioned a number of other countries too.

You seemed to find the idea of the Malaysian government funny last night. That's for you to consider, but their response has been generally well-received and at the moment seems to be effective.

The UK is alarming its neighbours and attracting criticism from another continent. Why do you think that might be?

3 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

The Spanish put rigorous movement controls in after allowing people in the hot zone in Madrid to f**k off to their holiday homes in Andalusia. They are not exactly a shining example here.

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It comes from a very understandable distrust of the Conservative government, but this ignores the fact that this a SNP endorsed response to medical advice.

Nothing wrong with criticising the Scottish Government if we think they got it wrong; SNP or not.

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

The Spanish put rigorous movement controls in after allowing people in the hot zone in Madrid to f**k off to their holiday homes in Andalusia. They are not exactly a shining example here.

Yes, but the UK has had the benefit of observing that. It seems to have learned nothing from doing so.

12 minutes ago, stuartsmfc said:

I know that but what I'm due - 80% of £725 = £580 and the c***s are paying me £480. Won't cover my bills and with the bullshit "take a mortgage holiday so we can shaft you with a higher interest rate" is a shambles 

I dont think its down to your employer to adapt the system to suit. You'll have had a P60 showing your full year earnings declared to HMRC (which obviously doesn't show all the wee cash jobs you boys do after skiving off early and then only working a half shift on a Saturday 😜)- I would have thought that was the golden bit of paper you need to find fairly sharpish...

1 minute ago, JTS98 said:

Germany may well be too.

You seem to be hung up on Malaysia, but I've mentioned a number of other countries too.

You seemed to find the idea of the Malaysian government funny last night. That's for you to consider, but their response has been generally well-received and at the moment seems to be effective.

The UK is alarming its neighbours and attracting criticism from another continent. Why do you think that might be?

No, what I found hilarious was you contending with named UK very very well qualified public health professionals  with multiple relevant qualifications using....

The Malaysian government. I still do find that Brexit like refusal to listen to actual experts amusing.

7 minutes ago, Bairn Necessities said:

Ireland still going horse racing. Germany has the same provisions as us.

Where this ludicrous 'OMG  only the UK are just doing nothing ' rhetoric has come from i have no idea. Or the laughable suggestion that we would have done nothing if erm France hadn't guilted us into it? Lol.

Irish racing is mostly very rural and there's no spectators or even hangers on permitted. It's also an industry that's worth a fortune to the Irish Economy so really can't see any harm in it continuing, especially as those involved are all aware of the risks and are comfortable with it.

We are doing "something" but it's been halfhearted and also took us time to actually make a decision when those all around had already given us the stark warnings of what may happen if delayed (which we ignored until almost forced).

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Sounds like a bill is going through the House of Lords for self employed people.

Looks like they are going to offer 80% of earnings averaged over the last 3 years up to about £2.5k-ish providing you are not earning at the moment. Not sure if that includes (probably not) the current financial year which is about to end in a fortnight.

I think that is perfectly fair and around what employees are going to get.

This will help a lot of people.

Rather depends on the interpretation of that. 

I'd say that rather a lot of self employed people will see/are seeing their earnings collapse to well below  what

they've been earning regularly, rather than zero earnings.

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Irish racing is mostly very rural and there's no spectators or even hangers on permitted. It's also an industry that's worth a fortune to the Irish Economy so really can't see any harm in it continuing, especially as those involved are all aware of the risks and are comfortable with it.

We are doing "something" but it's been halfhearted and also took us time to actually make a decision when those all around had already given us the stark warnings of what may happen if delayed (which we ignored until almost forced).

Eh? Irish horse racing is very well attended . 

But why is it still going ahead?

So, you are fine with people attending Irish horse racing (sounds a definitely required activity) but have decided the UK are being uniquely cavalier?

Edited by Bairn Necessities

Guest JTS98
4 minutes ago, Bairn Necessities said:

No, what I found hilarious was you contending with named UK very very well qualified public health professionals  with multiple relevant qualifications using....

The Malaysian government. I still do find that Brexit like refusal to listen to actual experts amusing.

There's a kind of racisty vibe to that.

Do you think Malaysian health officials don't have any qualifications or expertise? Do you think the Singaporean government's public criticism of the UK was made on the basis of some amateurs sitting around?

Education and experts exist outside the UK as well. It's very Brexit of you to assume they don't.

Edited by JTS98

I'm hearing reports of a police road block near me questioning why people are out driving. 
Police Scotland obviously chomping at the bit to use their new fash powers.
Police in Broxtowe (West Nottingham) are also stopping cars, asking where you are going.