Coronavirus (COVID-19)

17 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

India going full lockdown.

Summary

India has become the latest country to order a total lockdown

The Olympics, due to begin in July, are moved to next year

514 more people die in Spain, the worst day yet

The UK is adapting to new, stricter measures announced by PM Boris Johnson

Donald Trump insists the US will "soon be open for business", despite more states shutting down

China announces 78 new cases - 74 of them from abroad

The most populous country without a case until now - Myanmar - announces two cases

One of Africa's most famous musicians, saxophonist Manu Dibango, dies of the virus

Confirmed cases approach 400,000, deaths near 17,000, more than 100,000 recoveries

Apart from @The RealSaints' parents.

I'm keeping close to the bda which are always privy to info and have many self employed members. Good new coming. Will be 80% of declared earnings. Obviously for joiners who are cash and dodgy that will be £59 a week. Dentists etc good news. IMG-20200324-WA0003.thumb.jpeg.f65823543af19690d73b7fbce77c59e3.jpeg

Guest JTS98

The view of Britain's approach from abroad goes something like this.

More than a week ago Singapore raised concerns that the UK was doing essentially hee haw to contain this.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-15/u-k-not-trying-to-contain-coronavirus-singapore-minister-says

France claims to have finally pushed the UK government to act. Is the shambolic situation in the UK down to the UK government implementing these measures purely to fob off foreign pressure rather than actually wishing to deviate from their outlier immunity plan?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-macron/frances-macron-threatened-uk-entry-ban-without-more-stringent-measures-report-idUSKBN218133

Now today we have the comparison with how measures are being enforced elsewhere. A group of Spanish scientists reckon the UK is endangering the rest of Europe. Spain has police vans on the street telling people to stay home. The UK has hairdressers open and old folk reckoning they can visit their pals.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/23/europe-views-uk-coronavirus-plan-disbelief

I know some people have seen this view as overly-simplistic or unhealthy, but day one into the farcical UK 'lockdown' and after all the mixed and contradictory messages, it is very clear that the only message that is going to work, as has been seen elsewhere, is stay the f**k at home.

Edited by JTS98

Does anyone know the legalities of what's happening for employees and the 80% of wages? I'm on 16 quid an hour, 45 hours a week. That's my basic. Other sparks or on 15 quid an hour at 45 hours a week. Got a text this morning telling me that I'm not getting my usual rate as it's unfair on other electricians. So everyone is being paid 80% at £15 an hour over 40 hours...we always get paid 45 hours. Its the principal more than anything, not to mention will be struggling quite a bit as we are tight for money as it is. The company I work for as well are renowned w*nkers and shaft us out of correctly calculated holiday pay. Now is not the time to be fucking people over. 

There is absolutely nothing contradictory or shambolic about the UK approach. Nor is it an outlier. Nor is it farcical. The public response may be farcical, but the result is significantly better than the USA, Italy or Spain. It’s not as if the UK is going it alone. Hairdressers are open in Korea and Japan, for example.

5 minutes ago, stuartsmfc said:

Does anyone know the legalities of what's happening for employees and the 80% of wages? I'm on 16 quid an hour, 45 hours a week. That's my basic. Other sparks or on 15 quid an hour at 45 hours a week. Got a text this morning telling me that I'm not getting my usual rate as it's unfair on other electricians. So everyone is being paid 80% at £15 an hour over 40 hours...we always get paid 45 hours. Its the principal more than anything, not to mention will be struggling quite a bit as we are tight for money as it is. The company I work for as well are renowned w*nkers and shaft us out of correctly calculated holiday pay. Now is not the time to be fucking people over. 

I think the maximum subsidy is £2,500 per month per employee so I don’t think you will get more than that.

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

There is absolutely nothing contradictory or shambolic about the UK approach. Nor is it an outlier. Nor is it farcical. The public response may be farcical, but the result is significantly better than the USA, Italy or Spain. It’s not as if the UK is going it alone. Hairdressers are open in Korea and Japan, for example.

I think I'd wait till the full time whistle before celebrating the result tbh mate. 

Guest JTS98
3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Korea has been testing the f**k out of people and isolating them. And they are going to impose a new lockdown this week, watch out for that from Thursday. My work has already been told their office there will shut.

The result is not better than Italy or Spain, it's just at a different point on the path. And the immunity response that I was referring to is a complete outlier. Nobody else is doing that and other countries think it is mental.

See the French and Singaporean responses.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

I think the maximum subsidy is £2,500 per month per employee so I don’t think you will get more than that.

I know that but what I'm due - 80% of £725 = £580 and the c***s are paying me £480. Won't cover my bills and with the bullshit "take a mortgage holiday so we can shaft you with a higher interest rate" is a shambles 

I think I'd wait till the full time whistle before celebrating the result tbh mate. 

Result being the wrong word, but New York alone is in a frightening situation relative to anywhere in this country. The point is that whatever we as P&B experts think, the UK isn’t just winging this.

Just now, Savage Henry said:

Result being the wrong word, but New York alone is in a frightening situation relative to anywhere in this country. The point is that whatever we as P&B experts think, the UK isn’t just winging this.

I can see New York (and the states generally) being an absolute disaster zone due to having moronic leadership and a largely moronic population, however I'd think we also tick both these boxes and probably won't be too far behind them when all's said and done.

7 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Ireland still going horse racing. Germany has the same provisions as us.

Where this ludicrous 'OMG  only the UK are just doing nothing ' rhetoric has come from i have no idea. Or the laughable suggestion that we would have done nothing if erm France hadn't guilted us into it? Lol.