Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

72% is smaller percentage vaccinated than the UK.

Blue states will be forced to take advantage of their greater vaccination rates on average than red states, because they have largely already opened up.

In a similar way, tinpot administrations like the Scottish and UK Governments will be forced into a return to full pre-pandemic normality by other countries in Europe having the balls to do it first.

1 minute ago, Elixir said:

Blue states will be forced to take advantage of their greater vaccination rates on average than red states, because they have largely already opened up.

In a similar way, tinpot administrations like the Scottish and UK Governments will be forced into a return to full pre-pandemic normality by other countries in Europe having the balls to do it first.

thats what gives me assurance, once real normality is widespread elsewhere then people , no matter how much they love the snp , will demand it here too

Extending the current restrictions is hugely popular.  There's been states in the US fully reopened for a while - packed baseball stadiums etc.  People aren't going to 'demand' anything, at least not any time soon.

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Extending the current restrictions is hugely popular.  There's been states in the US fully reopened for a while - packed baseball stadiums etc.  People aren't going to 'demand' anything, at least not any time soon.

if that's true then wtf is wrong with this country? are we genetically predisposed to lovejoy ism ? 

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Popular while furlough is still being paid, perhaps. There's already a sizeable portion of the population who have had enough, and the under 50's want it binned. Eventually there will come a tipping point. None of this theatre can be sustained once we have ~90% of adults fully vaxxed, and even before then (now?) it's not justifiable.

I believe Johnson will go ahead with the reopening on 19th July and it’ll be up to Sturgeon to follow him or consign Scots to months of silly 8/10 person gathering rules.

There is absolutely no need for a level that lies between Level 1 (or even Level 2, tbh) rules and normality. No Level 0 pish. Keep all areas where they are for just a few more weeks to roll out more vaccines and then go back to almost normality* on 19th July. 

*I’d be fine keeping masks and WFH a bit longer if they insist on retaining baseline measures. 

3 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

if that's true then wtf is wrong with this country? are we genetically predisposed to lovejoy ism ? 

I’ve been  saying this for over a year now and being pilloried for it.

I went to an anti lockdown rally but, although there were a lot of likeminded folks in attendance, there were also quite a few anti vaccers and the usual anarchist mob. Put me off, I’m afraid.

We are far too compliant with government diktat and this tendency is incredibly worrying. The media played a big part in this along with the Sturgeon daily updates which scared the wits out of all and sundry. Thankfully, all we get now is Bauld and Leitch who are increasingly derided.

We need many more people of independent thought to challenge the perceived wisdom of the MSM.

GBNews is hopefully a step in the right direction.

By the time you go any lower than level 1 people are going to give exactly zero fucks about any restrictions. The only thing to watch for will be limiting capacity or demanding social distancing, masks or some other shite at sports and large events. 

18 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Does a PCR take any longer than a bog standard one? I have one Wednesday night for a flight on Friday.

Normally get pre travel test results about 24 hours after. Places at the airport seem to be same day. 

I believe Johnson will go ahead with the reopening on 19th July and it’ll be up to Sturgeon to follow him or consign Scots to months of silly 8/10 person gathering rules.

There is absolutely no need for a level that lies between Level 1 (or even Level 2, tbh) rules and normality. No Level 0 pish. Keep all areas where they are for just a few more weeks to roll out more vaccines and then go back to almost normality* on 19th July. 

*I’d be fine keeping masks and WFH a bit longer if they insist on retaining baseline measures. 
Health advice that its best to work from home, and peoples choice to wear masks is all well and good. There is absolutely no case for legally mandating these things though, and there will be much less of a case come July. The vaccine is a snowball rollong down hill. Every day there more 1st, more 2nd doses, and every day those recently jagged gain increased protection. Every one of those things, plus every prior infection results in another road block for the virus. These things must be rising at a tremendous rate.

Any of these things being enshrined in law is utterly, utterly ridiculous at this point and the idea of a "level 0" and even worse, that we have still not had a single acknowledgement of intention to remove ALL legal covid restrictions/mandates is fucking outrageous.

The fact that scotgov thinks it has the right to tell us, using legal powers taken on during a bona fide crisis, what normality is, is terrifying.

7 minutes ago, Donathan said:

i've started wearing a snood recently , its much easier to play the game with it than a mask with straps , keep it over the face when someones watching then just pull it back down round your neck when your in the clear , quite refreshing in shops etc  actually , easy to pretend it's just slipped and you haven't noticed  if called out rather than being accused of being a dick with no mask or mask round your chin

I wonder what Ms. von der Leyen thinks of this incoherent babbling from these two 'pro-EU parties'?

Posted at 15:28

Scottish Greens welcome travel rules relaxing delay

image.gif.b1f7131a67da3b92c4a90d980ec84118.gif
Getty ImagesCopyright: Getty Images

Back at the Scottish parliament, where MSPs are asking questions of First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, Greens co-leader Lorna Slater welcomes the "cautious" decision to delay further easing of restrictions.

Ms Slater asks if the first minister agrees that non-essential international leisure travel should be the last thing that returns to normal.

Ms Sturgeon says people should not travel overseas for non-essential reasons.

The first minister speaks of her "intense frustration" at the lack of more robust border controls around the UK.

She says we are paying a price for that now with the Delta variant.

Ms Sturgeon insists that limiting international travel gave us the best chance of halting new variants and getting the situation back under control.

40 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Not sure if this has been shared, a BBC journalist being chased by anti-lockdown protesteters 

Really disturbing to see that.  You get the feeling that if someone had tripped him or hit him then things could have escalated very quickly.  

Don’t wish the guy any harm,  but instead of these protests being hidden by the media it needs to start being reported that this is the level of frustration people are feeling.

Climate change protests, Sarah Everard, BLM etc are all over the media and rightly so, but they cannot be selective as they are in what they choose to report when this is a genuine concern as well to many.

Edited by Abdul_Latif

1 minute ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Don’t wish the guy any harm,  but instead of these protests being hidden by the media it needs to start being reported that this is the level of frustration people are feeling.

Exhibit A: representing “frustrated” people.DDA86AF9-3B21-4746-ACB0-B7ED31824244.jpeg.cf3d698132ea2dd709586436e047878b.jpeg

No further comment.

It now sounds like the new normal/much greater normality/beyond level 0/whatever it’s called this week will not be in place until the middle of August. If we assume 3 weeks of level 0 from July 19th.

That sounds like madness given that it will be just in time for schools going back. A cynic may say it’s an attempt to push the whole thing into the long grass of next year.