Coronavirus (COVID-19)

That might be down to where you live and who your GP is as much as anything as I've had no issues at all getting a doctor's appointment for myself or my daughter, and my wife had to get some non emergency dental work last week and was seen with two days of phoning them.
Same down here no problem with face to face appointments been that way for months now but it does seem to vary between different health board areas.

22 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
55 minutes ago, GAD said:
That might be down to where you live and who your GP is as much as anything as I've had no issues at all getting a doctor's appointment for myself or my daughter, and my wife had to get some non emergency dental work last week and was seen with two days of phoning them.

Same down here no problem with face to face appointments been that way for months now but it does seem to vary between different health board areas.

Mine in Edinburgh is either struggling or just can’t be arsed with face to face now. Given a telephone appointment for 2 weeks time, which is pretty abysmal.

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Mine in Edinburgh is either struggling or just can’t be arsed with face to face now. Given a telephone appointment for 2 weeks time, which is pretty abysmal.

That is actually really shit. For mine it's been phone up in the morning, quick call with the doctor, face to face in the afternoon. I've been about 3 times during the pandemic, once for me, twice with my daughter, nothing serious each time either. Maybe it's a bit different for kids tbf, less happy to take any chances.

Again, why is it accepted that a piss poor flu vaccine (with boosters) can't stop thousands of vulnerable people dying every year from flu, but a much more effective Covid vaccine which means a lot less people will die from Covid, can't be?

The fallacy of 'We've known about the flu for hundred of years' doesn't wash I'm afraid.

410 people died of cancer in the UK yesterday and 3 from Covid.  I know you can't catch cancer but fucking hell that a ridiculous stat.

18 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Again, why is it accepted that a piss poor flu vaccine (with boosters) can't stop thousands of vulnerable people dying every year from flu, but a much more effective Covid vaccine which means a lot less people will die from Covid, can't be?

The fallacy of 'We've known about the flu for hundred of years' doesn't wash I'm afraid.

Imagine the media going full scale every year on the flu like they have done with COVID . They could literally do that every year and have folk scared to leave the house and telling us what strain is on the loose . 

some people have genuinely lost all common sense due to the media and government fear propaganda.  They really need to start focusing on adverts and slogans which will make people feel more comfortable and safe to get back to enjoying life whenever they decide to actually lift restrictions .

19 hours ago, scottsdad said:

What the hell is happening in Clackmannanshire? 

Alva had the mass outbreak at one of the pubs on the 29th of May(which caused Clackmannanshire to go shooting to the top of the league table), a lot of those effected have recently finished their isolation(and have since tested negative), so the numbers are thankfully going down

15 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

410 people died of cancer in the UK yesterday and 3 from Covid.  I know you can't catch cancer but fucking hell that a ridiculous stat.

Agreed. Following cancer I imagine there will be several more illnesses causing many more deaths than covid. 

Try getting a face to face doctors appointment.
Try getting a face to face dentists appointment.
Good luck getting into football matches.
And the very best of luck if you develop cancer or need a hip replacement.
Can't comment on 1 & 4 but 2 & 3 are a piece of piss.
In fact I do not think my dentists do anything bar face to face.
Unless your teeth are in your arse.
Might daunder down to Newburgh for a pre season friendly tonight.

16 hours ago, Left Back said:

I’d bet there’s a decent chunk of the population entirely unaware that people die from flu because as you say it isn’t publicised widely.  They think the sniffles is the flu.  I’ve never heard of anyone I know hospitalised or dying from the flu.  Truth be told if anyone I knew had ever had actual flu I’d be surprised.

Influenza does also spread without being symptomatic and with mild illness in many.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Labour are so bad at, well, everything

This is like their go to thing now and they seem to genuinely think it's a winner. It's really quite sad but it shows where they are as a party.

It also feels like we're now starting to fall behind the rest of Europe in terms of returning to normality, which is incredible when you consider how the respective vaccination programs began.

I can't even be arsed drawing energy to say how pointless and nonsensical border measures are at this point.

974 new cases of COVID-19 reported

20,761 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results

5.0% of these were positive

2 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive

17 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (unchamged)

137 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (up from 128)

3,531,461* people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 2,470,181* have received their second dose

*Please note Public Health Scotland experienced IT issues which impacted the extraction of vaccination data today (15/06/2021). Today's figures may be an under estimate, and any missing data will be reported in tomorrow's figures.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

To add to the above:

Dutch Covid officials are weighing up a swifter end to the requirement to wear masks in public places such as shops and restaurants, because of falling infection rates. The same debate is being held in Germany where infection rates are at their lowest for eight months.

So that's Israel, much of the US, Sweden, soon Denmark and the Netherlands, and possibly Germany, all filing their masks in the bin fairly soon if they hadn't already.

The Lovejoy's here will never let them go even once the requirement is gone as they think it makes you a better class of human being now.

The continuation of these restrictions and the attention to masks and tests makes it look as if it's all politicians mates responsible for making and distributing tests and PPE.

That obvious corruption couldn't be true though.

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

974 new cases of COVID-19 reported

20,761 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results

5.0% of these were positive

2 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive

17 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19

137 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19

3,531,461* people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 2,470,181* have received their second dose

*Please note Public Health Scotland experienced IT issues which impacted the extraction of vaccination data today (15/06/2021). Today's figures may be an under estimate, and any missing data will be reported in tomorrow's figures.

The 5% figure is the worry here for me. This is the WHO's definition of if we have it under control. If we go past that then the public health zealots will be out in force.

My maths though tells me that 974 new cases from 20,761 tests is 4.7%

5 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The 5% figure is the worry here for me. This is the WHO's definition of if we have it under control. If we go past that then the public health zealots will be out in force.

My maths though tells me that 974 new cases from 20,761 tests is 4.7%

Yep when they quoted a figure last week of 3% it was actually 2.8%.

Needless to say the figure yesterday (I think though it may have been last week) was given as 5.2% rather than 5.

Happy to round up to the nearest whole number %  but not to round down it would seem. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

6 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yep when they quoted a figure last week of 3% it was actually 2.8%.

Needless to say the figure yesterday (I think though it may have been last week) was given as 5.2% rather than 5.

Happy to round up to the nearest whole number %  but not to round down it would seem. 

Stuff like this is starting to go past the farcical/incompetent stage and into the downright dishonest, dangerous stage. Actively manipulating how the present statistics to make things seem worse than they are in each scenario.

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Ah the old "it's not a problem in my area so it's not a problem for anyone else" logical fallacy.

Well no, the logical fallacy is citing GP practices choosing to use telehealth services and/or having waiting times to get treatment as part of 'lockdown rules', when it's clearly nothing of the sort. That's a textbook definition of logical fallacy, right there. 

Edited by vikingTON