Coronavirus (COVID-19)

This will only happen if people comply. It'srreally not what you want to see, but why can't the army be delpoyed to assist the police? Sans guns, obviously. 
Last night's message was clear but already you seem to have people wiggling out of it. Idiots like Andy Burnham are not helping, and I don't think Robert Jenrick has helped either with his "clarification". 
Slowly, slowly catchy monkey.

The army will not be sitting about at the moment. They'll be preparing for whatever their most effective use can be.

A visual presence might help, but we might need transport and delivery at the drop of a hat so that will all be happening in the background.

9 minutes ago, Michael W said:

This will only happen if people comply. It'srreally not what you want to see, but why can't the army be delpoyed to assist the police? Sans guns, obviously. 

Last night's message was clear but already you seem to have people wiggling out of it. Idiots like Andy Burnham are not helping, and I don't think Robert Jenrick has helped either with his "clarification". 

It's not about "people complying" as for the most part people have no option. The ones going out on packed trains don't WANT to be doing it, however their employer in conjunction with the Government has deemed it necessary. It's also NOT the peoples fault that there are insufficient trains etc at rush hour, again that's the Gov and transport management to blame.

Most folk are being sensible but it's their employers who are calling the shots and in fact the Gov are complicit in it and of course instead of our media focusing on that, they focus on the individuals and make them out to be in the wrong and the bad guys.

Typical Britain....

4 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Stop seeing things in such concrete, black and white terms.

The government are following medical and scientific about gradually reducing interaction, hopefully halting the spread.

It's been done in stages, and has been entirely predictable, albeit the timing is the only thing they need to decide - when to do this, when to move to that.

They're handling it ok, despite the folk screaming from the rooftops. Yes mistakes are being made, but by in large they're being highlighted and addressed. That's what's meant to happen.

You can't expect detailed instructions about every single thing. Yesterday we were still able to go outside freely, encouraged to strongly stick to social distancing. Now we're being severely limited in that, and there are authorities in the street to advise us on this.

A clear increase in the seriousness dial.

They are not handling it OK. They had a month's warning and only now that we are hitting the steep part of the exponential curve are they taking anything approaching firm action. 

Even at that they couldn't bear to actually use the word lockdown for fear of hurting people's sensibilities. 

Asking people not to go out while simultaneously seeking to say that it's OK to go out has not been handling it well. 

A blind man could have seen this coming. This has been a disaster on an epic scale from the govt, and people will die needlessly because of it 

Guest JTS98
9 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Currently those who are expected to continue to work are among the lowest paid in the country and are risking their life and the life's of their families for only the minimum wage in many cases. As such I don't see why these people should "pay" to keep the high earners lying idle in their homes ???

It'll certainly be interesting to see how society reacts to what is a stark lesson in the value of human beings once this is over.

Will people continue to accept a staggeringly unequal system of rewards and workers' rights for people in different kinds of occupations?

We're certainly learning that in the darkest times humanity cannot survive without the people who do unglamorous jobs that don't require a high level of education. Hopefully, society will no longer accept those who have these jobs being treated like scum.

A lot might change off the back of this, but there's a big danger that people allow things to carry on as before. That would be an awful waste.

4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Thereby penalising again those who cannot work through this crisis - which should be the majority you'd imagine - who will lose 20% of their salary and then the loss of a tax/NI break in the future simply by following government's instructions.  

I'm sure if you gave the majority who are being forced to work the option of NOT working for 80% pay then they'd take it.

Unless you believe that earning 20% of the minimum wage or thereabouts is worth risking your life and those of your loved ones for ???

The other point there is that travelling expenses alone would make up close to the 20% pay differential in many cases.

16 minutes ago, Michael W said:

It'srreally not what you want to see, but why can't the army be delpoyed to assist the police? Sans guns, obviously. 

They're too busy guarding convoys of Andrex lorries.

‘Rest assured. When this is over, when we get the Solheim Cup and Open Championships back, I’ll be here. Standing with you. Golf is fcuking great. Scotland is fcuking great. Scotland is back and open for business, except Hearts. Sorry about them. God bless you, and god bless our independent republic of Scotland’.

Bookmark this. It’s happening.

5A7E0D13-B455-4F9A-80B5-FBC9A2A88A83.jpeg

5 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

This morning 

5E4C81CF-D319-4473-B028-7E01F8A873EA.jpeg

AE557D76-A395-4689-8B28-7FA04E54C684.jpeg

Wonder how marshmallo rates that scene compared to me being on an almost empty golf course for two hours yesterday afternoon? Poor chap will be ruddy faced with the rage.

18 minutes ago, philpy said:

4 Bulgarians across the street decided they would all huddle together to change a wheel on a car. One of our neighbours who works twilight shifts in asda came home and got out her car and went mental at them, they all shuffled back inside rather quickly emoji23.png.

If they all live together anyway then there's absolutely nothing wrong with doing this.

15 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I've touched on this before, however to reiterate, 

Currently those who are expected to continue to work are among the lowest paid in the country and are risking their life and the life's of their families for only the minimum wage in many cases. As such I don't see why these people should "pay" to keep the high earners lying idle in their homes ???

Personally I think that everyone who's being expected to work in a "critical" post should be earning at least the £35k figure that the chancellor is paying out to people laid off in their homes.

Ultimately this Government hand out is coming from the tax payer and as such it will end up being the people actually doing the work and seeing no benefit who will be the poor barstewards who end up paying for it.

Another option would be to amend the PAYE system to give those asked to work through the crisis a Tax and NI break which again could easily be implemented by HMRC.

I would imagine that the majority of what you describe as "high earners" are not really "lying idle in their homes" but are in fact still working from home. The people who are sitting at home not working are likely low earners who have been made redundant off the back of shops, pubs, restaurants and the like closing down.

Guest JTS98
7 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

it's their employers who are calling the shots

That's the problem. The government should just be getting businesses telt. Everyone shut unless you are A, B, or C. No questions, no exceptions.

6 minutes ago, madwullie said:

1) Even at that they couldn't bear to actually use the word lockdown for fear of hurting people's sensibilities. 

2) Asking people not to go out while simultaneously seeking to say that it's OK to go out has not been handling it well. 

A blind man could have seen this coming. This has been a disaster on an epic scale from the govt, and 3) people will die needlessly because of it 

1) I think that's actually ok. Language is important in stoking up panic, and we don't want panic, we want people to be calm and sensible. Avoiding overly emotive language is a reasonable approach. The problem is point 2.

2) This is the thing. The UK government has given out an inconsistent message which is why we have ended up with the fucking insanity of a sports retailer trying to justify itself as an essential service in a global health emergency. Sports Direct are fucking p***ks, no question, but it is the government's mixed messages which have left the door open for them to pull that shit. The message has to be clear and consistent or else it doesn't work.

There's a sign in my lift in three languages that says 'Where are you going? Why?'.

The British response to this has been weak and it leads on to point 3.

3) It certainly will. The picture above of the building site is fucking terrifying. But you can't blame businesses too much when they're taking their cues from such a shambolic government message.

15 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
17 minutes ago, WATTOO said:
I've touched on this before, however to reiterate, 
Personally I think that everyone who's being expected to work in a "critical" post should be earning at least the £35k figure that the chancellor is paying out to people laid off in their homes.
Ultimately this Government hand out is coming from the tax payer and as such it will end up being the people actually doing the work and seeing no benefit who will be the poor barstewards who end up paying for it.
Another option would be to amend the PAYE system to give those asked to work through the crisis a Tax and NI break which again could easily be implemented by HMRC.

That would then mean a Supermarket would probably have about 6 people working. I get what you are meaning but it's sadly not practical.

That's only because of our current system.

If Food prices went up so be it, if people can afford to upgrade their mobile phone every couple of months or drive cars worth £40k when they're only earning £25k then they can certainly afford to pay an extra couple of quid on their weekly shop.

It's times like this that people should appreciate what's REALLY important and what's not. At the moment the supermarket shelve stacker, the delivery driver and the warehouse worker are worth much, much more than any Man City footballer in real terms.

20 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
21 minutes ago, pozbaird said:
Nonsense. The greatest thing about golf is American professional, Paula Creamer.

D9D4C925-FC64-4352-A01F-4D86F89C706F.thumb.jpeg.a1b94788c1d19637c911a9e3560c54d6.jpeg

Google Paige Spiranac, you're welcome

image.jpeg.b905ef1e42662a8de1ec65418f9d0af3.jpeg

If it stops the spread of this virus, then yes.
I say the army on the streets, but only because their presence would surely keep people indoors. 
Work car park (manufacturing) full today. People still going about their day to day business as normal

What part of there arent enough police officers and soldiers to effectively implement a lockdown across the country don’t people like you get?