Coronavirus (COVID-19)

42 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

King Gammon being a c**t

No more pints in the wheatsheaf and other spoons then, tosser. 

2 hours ago, 1nickydevlin said:

I'm a plumber .one customer just text saying she's showing symptoms not too go .Are plumbers essential workers ?? 

Well if water is gushing everywhere I guess that's an emergency.  Unless its Magee, who'd probably be a plumbing version of typhoid Mary. 

1 hour ago, cyderspaceman said:

Gove just said 'no golfing'.

No explanation as to why.

Golfs shite, Gove is spot on.

Saw a couple of comments about golf being off-limits a few pages ago. Today I received the e-mail from my club saying they were closing. They are very good at communicating normally, and this latest e-mail went into a good bit of detail. The Scottish Golf Union has asked all clubs to close, because even though the act of playing golf in the open air is in itself good exercise and all that, it would simply now see groups of more than two gather. When you now see no other leisure activities open, and hardly any shops open, if the golf courses remained open, they would fly against everything this lockdown hopes to achieve.

Another issue is that with clubhouses already closed, pro shops already closed - can imagine how many punters with a set of old clubs in the garage, on hearing golf clubs were allowed to stay open, would be sneaking out and onto courses across the land. The e-mail also went on to say that everyone knows how hard it’s been for golf clubs already over recent years anyway, and their hope is that we can personally keep our memberships going to support the club - and in no uncertain terms, to see it merely survive.

I appreciate some on here think golf is utterly wanky, and I’ll be the first to agree that there is a lot of wankyness about it! However, I personally find rugby union, horse racing and a couple of other things to be un-interesting shite - none of which matters. My opinion on other sports or activities is entirely worthless. I do not want to see golf clubs, rugby clubs, football clubs, or anyone’s favourite thing, go out of business. Golf is huge for the Scottish economy, a big part of our overall attraction as a tourist destination, and one of our ‘we invented it’ USPs. Up there with whisky and all that means for us as a wee unique country.

I wasn’t planning to play any more golf just now anyway. I posted as such before today’s e-mail. I absolutely agree that the courses need to close. I just hope my club survives.

Edited by pozbaird

45 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I don't understand why you find that so outrageous considering it was widely known to be in existence in Wuhan back in November. As such it's easy to assume that people with the virus were freely travelling around long before any lockdown was put in place.

I don't think it's outrageous, but if I did it wouldn't be because  people had the flu as far back as then but the idea that this was information deliberately held back by the 'authorities ' (whoever they are) as part of some sort of conspiracy theory.  

If I take a shite nowadays somebody somewhere will be thinking there's more to him having a dump than meets the eye. 

You agree the courses need to close today, but there has been no scientific breakthrough or new evidence since you went out and had a game yesterday. 
It's a gradual process. It has been from the beginning.

The advice has gradually cranked up, and this was always the next step.

Why are you getting to deny that nothing has changed? The advice has clearly changed, and (most) people will act accordingly.

Hopefully it works.

3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

It's a gradual process. It has been from the beginning.

The advice has gradually cranked up, and this was always the next step.

Why are you getting to deny that nothing has changed? The advice has clearly changed, and (most) people will act accordingly.

Hopefully it works.

"Advice" from a government who don't seem to know how to tie their shoelaces has changed in that they have now explicitly said "do not play golf". Previously if something hadn't been explicitly namechecked folk were using it as a loophole, ie "they haven't said I can't play golf".

The science hasn't changed so I don't understand why the "advice" has changed or why anyone would have a different viewpoint over certain activities today versus yesterday. Perhaps I am just being dense and don't understand the nuance. Mental to me that golf, as an example, was fine yesterday but is now an arrestable offence today. I'd have thought you take one view or the other, not changing your mind on that point over night.

Edited by Marshmallo

7 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

You agree the courses need to close today, but there has been no scientific breakthrough or new evidence since you went out and had a game yesterday. 

Yesterday I went, never saw a soul within a hundred yards of me. Played a few holes, drove home. Observed perfect social distancing. With the increased lockdown announced last night, intended to increase social distancing and stop any gatherings of two or more (in scenes akin to Brighton beach or London parks) - if they now remain open, more and more golfers would descend upon one of the very few social activity venues open. This flies in the face of the new orders from last night. Yesterday I saw no-one. After last night, the place could actually have been busy.

Thanks for your input though. Most informative.

Edited by pozbaird

2 hours ago, Bairn Necessities said:

This is exactly it. Its not intended to be policed. We'd need another million officers to have any shot at that. Its encouraging people to go out less, which it will. Even just reducing the number of businesses open further will have a huge difference. And stopping those virus trains with packed people.

Its all just an odds thing. The news from Italy is really encouraging. I dont think this will last for a huge amount of time. Maybe 4-6 weeks tops.

This will only happen if people comply. It'srreally not what you want to see, but why can't the army be delpoyed to assist the police? Sans guns, obviously. 

Last night's message was clear but already you seem to have people wiggling out of it. Idiots like Andy Burnham are not helping, and I don't think Robert Jenrick has helped either with his "clarification". 

Edited by Michael W

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

"Advice" from a government who don't seem to know how to tie their shoelaces has changed in that they have now explicitly said "do not play golf". Previously if something hadn't been explicitly namechecked folk were using it as a loophole, ie "they haven't said I can't play golf".

The science hasn't changed so I don't understand why the "advice" has changed or why anyone would have a different viewpoint over certain activities today versus yesterday. Perhaps I am just being dense and don't understand the nuance. Mental to me that golf, as an example, was fine yesterday but is now an arrestable offence today. I'd have thought you take one view or the other, not changing your mind on that point over night.

Sturgeon said not to play golf yesterday morning.

Here to help :)

4 Bulgarians across the street decided they would all huddle together to change a wheel on a car. One of our neighbours who works twilight shifts in asda came home and got out her car and went mental at them, they all shuffled back inside rather quickly [emoji23].

I've touched on this before, however to reiterate, 

Currently those who are expected to continue to work are among the lowest paid in the country and are risking their life and the life's of their families for only the minimum wage in many cases. As such I don't see why these people should "pay" to keep the high earners lying idle in their homes ???

Personally I think that everyone who's being expected to work in a "critical" post should be earning at least the £35k figure that the chancellor is paying out to people laid off in their homes.

Ultimately this Government hand out is coming from the tax payer and as such it will end up being the people actually doing the work and seeing no benefit who will be the poor barstewards who end up paying for it.

Another option would be to amend the PAYE system to give those asked to work through the crisis a Tax and NI break which again could easily be implemented by HMRC.

Guest Moomintroll
I've touched on this before, however to reiterate, 
Currently those who are expected to continue to work are among the lowest paid in the country and are risking their life and the life's of their families for only the minimum wage in many cases. As such I don't see why these people should "pay" to keep the high earners lying idle in their homes ???
Personally I think that everyone who's being expected to work in a "critical" post should be earning at least the £35k figure that the chancellor is paying out to people laid off in their homes.
Ultimately this Government hand out is coming from the tax payer and as such it will end up being the people actually doing the work and seeing no benefit who will be the poor barstewards who end up paying for it.
Another option would be to amend the PAYE system to give those asked to work through the crisis a Tax and NI break which again could easily be implemented by HMRC.
That would then mean a Supermarket would probably have about 6 people working. I get what you are meaning but it's sadly not practical.

Stop seeing things in such concrete, black and white terms.

The government are following medical and scientific about gradually reducing interaction, hopefully halting the spread.

It's been done in stages, and has been entirely predictable, albeit the timing is the only thing they need to decide - when to do this, when to move to that.

They're handling it ok, despite the folk screaming from the rooftops. Yes mistakes are being made, but by in large they're being highlighted and addressed. That's what's meant to happen.

You can't expect detailed instructions about every single thing. Yesterday we were still able to go outside freely, encouraged to strongly stick to social distancing. Now we're being severely limited in that, and there are authorities in the street to advise us on this.

A clear increase in the seriousness dial.

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Thereby penalising again those who cannot work through this crisis - which should be the majority you'd imagine - who will lose 20% of their salary and then the loss of a tax/NI break in the future simply by following government's instructions.