Coronavirus (COVID-19)

12 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Best extend restrictions just to be sure then...

Just coming in here to post that, I’d imagine that extra 10% of people being susceptible to the virus is the reason why rates have risen more rapidly in Scotland compared to England. 

That's an outrageously high level of protection, on which to base knicker-wetting hysteria about variants.

This right now is in all likelihood as good as it gets for seasonality, community control and herd immunity put together: it's time to end these nonsense restrictions and just keep jabbing the remainder.

Edited by vikingTON

Just now, Donathan said:

Just coming in here to post that, I’d imagine that extra 10% of people being susceptible to the virus is the reason why rates have risen more rapidly in Scotland compared to England. 

Maybe. Though not having antibodies does not mean you are susceptible.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Maybe. Though not having antibodies does not mean you are susceptible.

Agreed, although I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that Scotland has a higher % of susceptible people than England (you’d think that t-cells will also be higher in England and pre-existing immunity will probably be six of one and half a dozen of the other)

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

Indeed. It does beg the question that 70-80% of the population should have some immunity to the virus...

Regardless of what they do come the 21st, I just don't see how this charade can be kept up much longer. Not least when younger people will have had at least their first dose, and as we see from Israel, Covid is simply reduced to the shannest of viruses once a large bulk of the population is fully vaxxed.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

That's an outrageously high level of protection, on which to base knicker-wetting hysteria about variants.

This right now is in all likelihood as good as it gets for seasonality, community control and herd immunity put together: it's time to end this nonsense and keep jabbing. 

Aye, but you're forgetting the MOADULLING!

Serious question: have the MOADELLURZ calibrated that the 'increase in hospital admissions' aren't actually meaning much other than a few fatties not feeling well or people going in with a broken wrist but testing positive?

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

Got a text last night with my appointment on the 17th, bang in the middle of the first two weeks of annual leave I've had since last March. Rescheduled for the morn! C'est parfait. I'm 27 and G1 postcode, so good to see there's progress being made. 

Subtle flex.

Another thing on hospital admissions is we're not actually clear on why someone is in hospital with covid.  As already discussed, there is the potential for someone to have an asymptomatic positive result and then trip in the shower.  But we don't hear too much about the severity of illness when someone is hospitalised. An anecdotal example: a pal of mine is PT and is probably the fittest person I know.  He had covid last summer and was admitted to hospital for observation because his fever was very high - he wasn't on ventilation or anything like it.  

I'd really hope that this is something that is discussed by the decision makers are thinking about when looking at the hospital numbers.  

Looking forward to the same overreaction to outdoor performances from Fred MacAuley, Susie McCabe, Celtic Connections musicians, drag queens and the rest that are doing shows at Glasgow Green on the days there's no football.

https://euro2020.scottishfa.co.uk/fan-zone/fanzone-festival/

Looking forward to the same overreaction to outdoor performances from Fred MacAuley, Susie McCabe, Celtic Connections musicians, drag queens and the rest that are doing shows at Glasgow Green on the days there's no football.
https://euro2020.scottishfa.co.uk/fan-zone/fanzone-festival/
The Alba Da's won't be happy about the drag queens.

No one will be happy about Fred Macauley.

3 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

No one will be happy about Fred Macauley.

I met him about 20 years ago at a council/charity do in Alloa town hall. I forget what the event was in aid of but he was the main draw. He came on stage and started doing a whole Rangers/Celtic routine and talking about Orange phones. It went down like a lead balloon - might have worked in Glasgow, but not in Alloa. There was a free bar afterwards and I met him then and he seemed nice enough to talk to. 

Drag Queens and Fred McCauley.... I can’t imagine two more opposite ends of the “entertainment/ cabaret culture” and I wonder why Nicola, Jason and Devi and the usual greeting’ Facebook Maws haven’t been up in arms about these gigs on the Green? Maybe COVID is fly and only comes out when there’s a football match on the big screen.

Having said that, I’d probably rather die a painful COVID death than have to sit listening to Fred McCauley for two hours. I thought he’d retired a decade ago tbh and I wasn’t sure he was even still alive.

Sunak is a known hawk so if he's been brought into line then that about as good as confirms it. Another win for the Lovejoys. 
I can tolerate an extension on only one basis - the criteria for exit is set out. How many hospitalisations is a problem? If we're going to keep focusing on case numbers we won't get out of it this year. Cases don't generally go down unless we put in more restrictions and that is simply not acceptable at this stage given the tools we have to fight covid. 
If its about getting more injections in, it should simply be time based. We want two weeks more injections. The way things are just now, uts being painted as precarious for opening up, more jags needed.

Fine, put a date on it. Set in stone, June 21st + x number of days. However many gives satisfaction that vaccine coverage has reached (it has already, lets not kid ourselves) the critical tipping point for your comfort

2 hours ago, Elixir said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57403216

Another absolute minter for 'Global Little Britain' and Scotland. We will be left behind if they don't get a grip come the end of this month.

Absolute nailed on cert we’ve not been included because of the stupid determination to test fully vaccinated travellers, the yanks wont entertain that. 

26 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Yes Pep will be insisting the fan zone is closed down unless everyone present would be willing to perform fellatio on them.