Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Sunak is willing to delay reopening by a month if need be.

Can see a 4 nations agreement on the 1st July at this rate.

That would be great if the Scottish government committed to it all being over at the same time. Otherwise we will f**k about up here with no clear plan.

28 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Sunak is willing to delay reopening by a month if need be.

Can see a 4 nations agreement on the 1st July at this rate.

I don't see what would change in three weeks  for them to change their minds. Delta variant has been around for weeks. It's just more jam tomorrow pish that will result in "do this to save Christmas: 2021 edition".

What was 21 June ever based on? Surely, even a cautious approach, could have been to estimate the minimum threshold for herd immunity through vaccination (sure the Kent variant had been estimated to be 60-70%) and peg your removal of all restrictions to that.

10 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

What was 21 June ever based on? Surely, even a cautious approach, could have been to estimate the minimum threshold for herd immunity through vaccination (sure the Kent variant had been estimated to be 60-70%) and peg your removal of all restrictions to that.

Probably the fact it's the Summer Solstice.

The fact it is Midsummer's Day and it gave headline writers an easy job.

Sad to say I was right.

Given it's Sunak this is clearly a lubbing operation now. All talk has been two weeks but it's now a month delay with talk of needing 80% double dosed due to the new Indian variant.

It could well be a delay to bring the 4 nations into line especially given the recent change in tone from the SG.

12 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Given it's Sunak this is clearly a lubbing operation now. All talk has been two weeks but it's now a month delay with talk of needing 80% double dosed due to the new Indian variant.

It could well be a delay to bring the 4 nations into line especially given the recent change in tone from the SG.

At least 80% is a benchmark though - if the governments come out and say that's the bare minimum needed for herd immunity, given the increased transmissibility, and this is the date we expect to achieve it, great.  Its the "data not dates" mantra we've been fed, when all that's been made public is dates with no information about the data underpinning it that's getting on my nips.

1 hour ago, Aladdin said:

They were expecting to give by all adults at least their first shot (which at the time was touted to give a lot of protection) by the end of May, then give the 3 weeks for the effects to take place gave them the date of June 21.

Edited by The Stig

Sunak is a known hawk so if he's been brought into line then that about as good as confirms it. Another win for the Lovejoys. 

I can tolerate an extension on only one basis - the criteria for exit is set out. How many hospitalisations is a problem? If we're going to keep focusing on case numbers we won't get out of it this year. Cases don't generally go down unless we put in more restrictions and that is simply not acceptable at this stage given the tools we have to fight covid. 

Got a text last night with my appointment on the 17th, bang in the middle of the first two weeks of annual leave I've had since last March. Rescheduled for the morn! C'est parfait. I'm 27 and G1 postcode, so good to see there's progress being made. 

9 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Got a text last night with my appointment on the 17th, bang in the middle of the first two weeks of annual leave I've had since last March. Rescheduled for the morn! C'est parfait. I'm 27 and G1 postcode, so good to see there's progress being made. 

^^^ doing it right.  don't waste any days of annual leave having potential side effects.  get a sick day.

6 minutes ago, Left Back said:

^^^ doing it right.  don't waste any days of annual leave having potential side effects.  get a sick day.

Indeed. 1pm tomorrow, I'm off from Friday, half day anyway so I'll pretend to be a bit ill in the morning then I've got the pub booked from 1730. Glorious!