Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 hours ago, Forest_Fifer said:
9 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:
Death/Recovery stats in different countries are all over the place.
Iceland 51 recovered 1 death
France 2,200 recovered 860 deaths
UK 135 recovered 335 deaths
Italy 7,432 recovered 6,077 deaths
Germany 422 recovered 118 deaths
Netherlands 2 recovered 213 deaths

We've tested so few people, there are probably a load who've had it and recovered who aren't part of the stats.

The government reckon infections  1000 per death and 400-500 infections per confirmed case of Covid-19.

31 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Sorry to repeat myself, but this is from the BBC website a few minutes ago.

64A6E960-54F6-44B0-BA60-B30A1D62C0A3.thumb.jpeg.8075b746f2a8c04b749735b6c4df4dd9.jpeg

I wonder who applied pressure on the government to come up with this nonsense.  Whoever thinks you can practice social distancing at all time and on all tasks on a building site is kidding themselves.

Which seems to contradict this...

Screenshot_20200324-071622_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.9d944d19330c03bb0dd312097384430b.jpg

Technically we should be remaining open, I think, but the boss has decided to take a three week break. Struans and Arnold Clark also completely shutting after today.

Guest Moomintroll
I know the one you are on about pretty much everyone had it, lasted weeks for anyone who got it. It was a bad cold that wouldn't shift, trust me. I've had the flu and believe me at that time i wanted to die.
I've still got a cough from when I had that, as you can imagine this is making me really popular at the moment.

My work's stance now is phone from the house first to check if its essential to come out, if it is then come out and do what's required with as minimal contact with other people as possible and get yourself back up the road as soon as possible.

Pretty much no change to my normal working routine then.

9 hours ago, Fullerene said:

It is like the one I posted earlier.  If you fold a piece of paper in two it will be twice as thick.  If you could do this again and again with the same piece of paper then after 103 times the thickness of the paper is greater than the size of the universe.

You can only fold a piece of paper a maximum of 7 times, no matter how big it starts.  This is true.

1 hour ago, resk said:

My guess is that it's not really about police going round enforcing these rules. The government knows that there will never be 100% compliance, nor enough police. But deep down most people are decent and understand the problem, and will attempt to comply as far as possible, so the number of people roaming around spreading the virus will reduce.

Someone going out on his own for a jog isn't going to be stopped to check that it is his first jog of the day, and someone carrying a shopping bag won't have his bag searched to check it contains essential food items. But a group of bams gathering in a park will get broken up, I would imagine.

This is exactly it. Its not intended to be policed. We'd need another million officers to have any shot at that. Its encouraging people to go out less, which it will. Even just reducing the number of businesses open further will have a huge difference. And stopping those virus trains with packed people.

Its all just an odds thing. The news from Italy is really encouraging. I dont think this will last for a huge amount of time. Maybe 4-6 weeks tops.

Edited by Bairn Necessities

7 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
6 hours ago, red23 said:
I know the one you are on about pretty much everyone had it, lasted weeks for anyone who got it. It was a bad cold that wouldn't shift, trust me. I've had the flu and believe me at that time i wanted to die.

I've still got a cough from when I had that, as you can imagine this is making me really popular at the moment.

Same here, had it since around Christmas time and the cough hasn't shifted. Handy for getting folk to move in supermarkets tho...

59 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think all delivery drivers are being diverted to delivering food though? 

I know DPD drivers are delivering food packages for Morrisons in Perth. 

For the love of God I hope they don't let yodel or Hermes do this.

1 minute ago, 1nickydevlin said:

I'm a plumber .one customer just text saying she's showing symptoms not too go .Are plumbers essential workers ?? 

I reckon there will be some emergency situations where plumbers would be classed as essential.

As Donald Trump pushed to re-open the US economy in weeks, rather than months, the lieutenant governor of Texas went on Fox News to argue that he would rather die than see public health measures damage the US economy, and that he believed “lots of grandparents” across the country would agree with him.

“You know, Tucker, no one reached out to me and said, ‘As a senior citizen, are you willing to take a chance on your survival in exchange for keeping the America that all America loves for your children and grandchildren?’” Patrick said. “And if that’s the exchange, I’m all in.”

I wanted to add a pithy comment but words failed me.

Edited by cyderspaceman

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Sorry to repeat myself, but this is from the BBC website a few minutes ago.

64A6E960-54F6-44B0-BA60-B30A1D62C0A3.thumb.jpeg.8075b746f2a8c04b749735b6c4df4dd9.jpeg

I wonder who applied pressure on the government to come up with this nonsense.  Whoever thinks you can practice social distancing at all time and on all tasks on a building site is kidding themselves.

Chasing the cash is going to look ridiculous after this is over and we shoot up the death league.