Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I worry about cases rising too tbh, albeit for different reasons. 

The more there are, the more pressure that there is going to be for the Government to delay/lockdown again. Though the vaccines are indeed keeping hospitalisations down from where they would otherwise be, the pressure will start ramping up at any rate. 

Trouble is that case numbers don't generally seem to come down on their own and that inevitably leads to calls for lockdowns again. Hopefully we can ride this out.

Edited by Michael W

8 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I worry about cases rising too tbh, albeit for different reasons. 

The more there are, the more pressure that there is going to be for the Government to delay/lockdown again. Though the vaccines are indeed keeping hospitalisations down from where they would otherwise be, the pressure will start ramping up at any rate. 

Trouble is that case numbers don't generally seem to come down on their own and that inevitably leads to calls for lockdowns again. Hopefully we can ride this out.

Pressure on what/whom? 

20 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Headline: ah shit, that's not good. 

Oh, wait, its not SAGE at all then; it's that Independent SAGE lot again. Why is a pressure group being given equal billing here by our national broadcaster? 

Screenshot_20210607_101806_com.android.chrome.jpg

4 % in other words, fuckin 4%

The Governments just got to hold there nerve and it will all be fine. 

The online media feeds the negativity because so many people clickbait the negative headlines and thats all the newspapers respond too nowadays. Then they plaster their front page of online news with more negativity

which is why the online newspapers are even worse than the paper versions

Edited by BigDoddyKane

56 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Round watching the Scotland game at my parents house last night, both in their late 60s, double dunted with Pfizer, and both as thin as rakes and active (gardening/walking the dog).

My mum - 'They need to lock down again soon, if me or your dad get it we'll probably die.'

I just change the subject now when it comes to Covid, i refuse to engage with her on the subject.

I can sympathise with you on this, my Dad has left the house maybe four or five times since March last year. My Mum is getting out and about, but will often come out with "cases are rising again, we need to go back to a full lockdown", at the same time she will say "your Dad isn't himself at the moment, I think he's a bit depressed". Of course he fucking is, he isn't getting out the house. He isn't the most social person as it is, but for the past year his only conversation in person is with my Mum or the postie. 

She is actually down tonight, the first time I have seen her since last September, and I know the whole conversation will be about Covid. She will be reluctant to go out for dinner, and will spend most of her time on the iPad reading the news. The other thing that doesn't help is that the pair of them are huge Nationalists, Sturgeon can do no wrong, whatever she says is gospel. Both of them have both jabs, but are completely petrified to return to the norm.

I don't see my parents that often, it's a horrible feeling dreading her coming to stay for a few days. I am just hoping that if I can get her out and about she will see that there is nothing to fear and she can crack on with life. 

22 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

To put that into context, about 40% of the UK population have been double vaccinated. So there is very clearly not a proportionate rise in cases regardless of vaccination status.

Small anecdotal sample, but I have been reading a thread on LSE about a stock I hold, and the conversation seems to be on covid (slightly relevant) and theres folk on there claiming that this is going to be the deadliest wave and will start taking the young.... Fucking hell man. I dont even have a login for the site which is just aswell. I really is best not to engage these freaks but equally, its hard to let folk spout this pish unchallenged. 

I really hope the UK gov hold to their 21st date and dont water it down. The only way to make people understand is to march on. Any delay is going to provole yet more hysteria

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Round watching the Scotland game at my parents house last night, both in their late 60s, double dunted with Pfizer, and both as thin as rakes and active (gardening/walking the dog).

My mum - 'They need to lock down again soon, if me or your dad get it we'll probably die.'

I just change the subject now when it comes to Covid, i refuse to engage with her on the subject.

I had a covid conversation with my also fully vaccinated mum last week about her apprehensions on getting back to things like outdoor events and sitting on a train or plane.

"But you've had both vaccines, you're completely safe from becoming unwell, and anyone you wouldn't want to pass it onto (in the family) have had both too. There's nothing to worry about."

"Yeah, but I just really don't want to get covid."

"You get the flu jag, do you carry about your business after that still worrying about becoming unwell if you catch it? Or any other virus?"

"No... but covid's different, I just really don't want to get it."

It makes me want to greet. 

Just now, Louis Litt said:

I had a covid conversation with my also fully vaccinated mum last week about her apprehensions on getting back to things like outdoor events and sitting on a train or plane.

"But you've had both vaccines, you're completely safe from becoming unwell, and anyone you wouldn't want to pass it onto (in the family) have had both too. There's nothing to worry about."

"Yeah, but I just really don't want to get covid."

"You get the flu jag, do you carry about your business after that still worrying about becoming unwell if you catch it? Or any other virus?"

"No... but covid's different, I just really don't want to get it."

It makes me want to greet. 

Isn't the flu vaccine only something like 55% effective?  Hence the need for boosters for folk every year?

31 minutes ago, virginton said:

Pressure on what/whom? 

Thankfully at the moment, only Independent SAGE and their associates/hangers on desperate for delays in easing the restrictions. 

The media will start soon enough, probably. But if hospitalisations don't rise fast (and at this stage they haven't) I think we can probably rebut the demands. 

32 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I know! Almost as if the vaccines are doing their job, isn't it? 

I haven't kept fully up to date with the numbers but we have passed a third of the adult population being fully vaccinated - perhaps we're now at c40%? A very large chunk of the population there accounting for a very small amount of infections. 

Edited by Michael W

Yeah, I was on the strict side of the debate until about March when the vaccine/third lockdown had obviously started to kick in, we knew there was gonna be some rise in cases et al as restrictions eased I think the government has to hold its nerve.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Yep, she religiously watches any briefings and appears to actually take delight in the case numbers rising.  I stopped short last night of saying 'I think you're actually enjoying this'.  I got up and went for a piss instead.

A lot of people do enjoy it. They love the drama.

33 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Small anecdotal sample, but I have been reading a thread on LSE about a stock I hold, and the conversation seems to be on covid (slightly relevant) and theres folk on there claiming that this is going to be the deadliest wave and will start taking the young.... Fucking hell man. I dont even have a login for the site which is just aswell. I really is best not to engage these freaks but equally, its hard to let folk spout this pish unchallenged. 

I really hope the UK gov hold to their 21st date and dont water it down. The only way to make people understand is to march on. Any delay is going to provole yet more hysteria

Your stock wouldn't by any chance be Sareum would it as that thread is full of worriers!

32 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I haven't kept fully up to date with the numbers but we have passed a third of the adult population being fully vaccinated - perhaps we're now at c40%? A very large chunk of the population there accounting for a very small amount of infections. 

over 41% of the UK population which is over 52% of adults.

40 minutes ago, Michael W said:

it also doesnt mention if those one in 25 cases are people at home with the sniffles or in icu, i thenk more will be the former

47 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Isn't the flu vaccine only something like 55% effective?  Hence the need for boosters for folk every year?

I think it's because every year the flu is a different strain, and the vaccination is given a mild adjustment. I can't remember how they predict I think it's something to do with historical annual data on the strain changes. @djchapsticks might know better

from sky news

Sir David King told Sky News: "[There are] 5,300 new cases of the disease per day in the United Kingdom and we're up about 2,000 on last week.

"Now we've been discussing whether or not we're going into a serious third wave and I don't think we can possibly wait any longer. This is the evidence of another wave appearing."

Live COVID updates from the UK and around the world

Around 400 infections a day are among people who have had both vaccines, said Sir David, who is the chair of the Independent Sage He said: "We know that anyone vaccinated twice is relatively safe against the virus.

"But let's not forget one in 25 new cases are people who have been vaccinated twice - that means 400 new cases a day are people who had the vaccine twice."

from my calculator  5300/25 =  212

IE almost half of what this dick is trying to suggest

5 minutes ago, Snafu said:

How do you reverse conditioning?

There has to be a government campaign to encourage people to go out and enjoy life again rather than leave them to fend for themselves. They have to take responsibility for this, it was their policies that put people in this position, it wasn't down to choice.

I'm not talking about these so called Lovejoys squeaky wheels who greet and wail for attention about lifting restrictions too soon on twitter while they were among the first to book holidays abroad, they can gtf.

You'll find that many people are so used to being indoors that they make up excuses not to go out, COVID variants is a well used one even if the person has been double jagged, its not the real reason. I struggle with going out myself not about the virus but reasons from before all that started. People like me need a purpose, something to focus on like going to the football or meeting friends in the pub, its about getting confidence back and getting used to being around lots of folks again.

Some will get out and about in their own time, encouragement from family and friends who are aware helps. I'm sure there are groups as well. Many will still get left behind and begin to suffer both physical and mental health problems. Fallout from the restrictions has already started and its a silent decline for many that doesn't show up in government statistics nor on social media.

i honestly think this will be similar to WW2 but obviously on a much smaller scale, there will be a number of previous normal - ish people who will never be "right" again after this