Coronavirus (COVID-19)

57 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Agree with a lot of what you say. That said if you are never off sick then you are an idiot. People who are genuinely unwell should not be at work, both with regard to their own health and with regard to the health of others.

Seen other comments on this, would re-word to "if you never go off sick when you are, then you're an idiot"

Too many people want to play the martyr card, or genuinely believe that the company cannot survive without their presence. In reality, going in to the office while unwell (cold/flu/norovirus etc) and spreading these things about, almost certainly cost more than you taking a couple of days off.

Reality, of course, is that employers need to recognise this, and not have "wellness policies" that penalise people for doing the responsible thing.

I won't hold my breath!

46 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Its tragic that people have had to endure this. Previously easy going folk now living in fear of being locked down again. What a horrible way to live. 

Personally I would dread another lockdown. The 1st one was a month after my Dad died and the isolation and being alone with dark thoughts really was too much to bare. Then the 2nd was during my first Christmas without him. I feel another lockdown would trigger memories of those things 😔

Sorry to hear this  was how you were feeling mate. I lost my mum a month before first lockdown but tbh I was grateful she lived to a good age and her cancer was swift enough that she missed this last year of shit- show. Christmas was hard but I was fortunate to have the support of family , however I found her anniversary of passing much harder, standing alone in the freezing cold and snow covered graveside. This isn’t possibly much help or use to you mate but hopefully you find comfort and strength as the seasons pass and life can look brighter.

Edited by deegee

Guardian columnists these days:

Complaining about filthy foreigners coming here to chore our joabs = bad

Complaining about filthy foreigners coming here to spread their diseases = good

13 minutes ago, deegee said:

Sorry to hear this  was how you were feeling mate. I lost my mum a month before first lockdown but tbh I was grateful she lived to a good age and her cancer was swift enough that she missed this last year of shit- show. Christmas was hard but I was fortunate to have the support of family , however I found her anniversary of passing much harder, standing alone in the freezing cold and snow covered graveside. This isn’t possibly much help or use to you mate but hopefully you find comfort and strength as the seasons pass and life can look brighter.

Cheers for that. Yeah that's how I feel as well, kinda relived Dad didnt have to see the shit show of a world we now live in. Just wish he got longer to live than 65. Sometimes I think he had the right idea getting out when he did. I hope you're doing alright. A loss of a parent is always hard, no matter when it occurs 

2 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

The NYT - i wonder what the next word is...

Iranian backed militias have used small, explosive-laden drones that divebomb and crash into their targets in late-night attacks on sensitive CIA and U.S. Special Operations targets in Iraq, according to American officials.

I'd prefer it if they said they'd divebombed into Devi, JL and Hamza tbh 

20 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Guardian columnists these days:

Complaining about filthy foreigners coming here to chore our joabs = bad

Complaining about filthy foreigners coming here to spread their diseases = good

I am sure if we had banned all non-British nationals from entering the UK that the likes of Marina would (rightly) be seething at what we are doing and calling it racist. Yet, here we are seeing someone who thinks that British residents shouldn't be allowed back in to the country. 

I'd also like to know how many people flew into the UK between January and April 2019 so we can compare it to that 1.59 million that the Lovejoys keep crying about. I'll bet its a massive deduction. 

You listen to these people and get the impression that the entire world is taking the piss out of us and coming here for a nice wee holiday. It isn't the case at all. The journey from open border liberalism to border fetishists has been quite the eye-opener. They are basically now the da types that shared memes about Australia's border policy towards asylum seekers and Tony Abbott quotes on Facebook a decade ago. 

Edited by Michael W

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

I'm never off sick because I'm never ill.  Quite an achievement working in primary care.  If I was ill I would go sick as opposed to spreading germs. Am I an idiot for not taking a couple of weeks sick every year when not ill, probably I am, yes.  

Unlike some colleagues I decide not to fake an illness to get some sick time fucking over people you work with and more importantly patients. 

Makes me a mug, totally.

This is the correct attitude. The amount of people who take a day off for no reason on a ward leaving their workmates in the shit is unforgivable. 

Empty pubs on a Friday evening in Edinburgh,what a farce
The fanfare of opening up hospitality is a bit of a ruse tbh. They are probably not far off being worse now. Anyone that cant get punters through the door is fucked. And to give an example, my daughter was to go to a party tomorrow which was cancelled late this afternoon thanks to self isolation bullshit.... are folk going to keep on booking hospitality venues for things in good faith when the rug can be pulled at any moment, with no sign of the charade ending?

So many people are lying on the road hoping a bus doesnt come at the minute. Nowhere near peak damage yet.

South Ayrshire shitting the bed as usual 
Screenshot_20210604-201657_Facebook.thumb.jpg.1688409814dc8f49f34b50e1350e0966.jpg
In what way is "South Ayrshire " shitting the bed. Pupils are self isolating in their thousands the length and breadth of the country. What do you expect the pupils of South Ayrshire to do when advised by the NHS to isolate ?

48 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

My great uncle didn’t take a single pill of any description until he was in his late 70s.

That’s late to start getting eccied 

56 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:
South Ayrshire shitting the bed as usual 
Screenshot_20210604-201657_Facebook.thumb.jpg.1688409814dc8f49f34b50e1350e0966.jpg

In what way is "South Ayrshire " shitting the bed. Pupils are self isolating in their thousands the length and breadth of the country. What do you expect the pupils of South Ayrshire to do when advised by the NHS to isolate ?

I'd be suprised if "hundreds" of kids in other LA's are isolating. I've not heard of big dirty Glasgow weans isolating in their hundreds right now but I may be wrong 

Edited by Thereisalight..