Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, GiGi said:

I'm hoping for the travel restrictions being completely lifted at some point this year. I haven't seen my dad in person for nearly 2 years now with him living in SEA and the quarantine rules right now mean it's not a feasible trip for either of us. It's been far too long.

I'm hoping the autumn might be OK for travelling. Missus hasn't seen her family since 2019. Wants to see them but not with quarantine at either end. 

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Talking to the wife and she is really worried. I started talking to her about how the vaccines are working and all that but she shut me down.

She isn't scared of the virus, or of getting ill. But she is terrified of another lockdown. She thinks that is another one is announced in the near future she might not be able to cope. I wonder how widespread this view is - totally understandable.

Totally understand where she's coming from. In the obsession with Covid, data, protect at all costs, those in charge seem to have forgotten that they're dealing with actual human beings, who have physical and mental health needs beyond Covid.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

...Covid turning up randomly right outside the lab where they do experiments making Corona viruses more dangerous is a bit of a stretch...

Bat soup was alleged to be a local culinary delicacy but that's subsequently been called into serious question.

26 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Bat soup was alleged to be a local culinary delicacy but that's subsequently been called into serious question.

The market theory is highly improbable. Me winning the Euromillions levels of unlikely.

A deadly virus getting out a lab where they create deadly viruses is highly likely unless they follow safety precautions stringently.

10 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I think the "variant" pish is the same as with the threat of vaccine passports.

It has to be about scaring people into having both vaccines.

This is kind of back firing though as younger folk aren't seeing any benifit from getting vaccinated as no one is getting to do anything different whether you have been jagged or not.

Hospital figures mean nothing unless we get a split of who is recieving treatment for symptoms of the virus and who isn't. 

The body that debunked Humza Youssef made it clear that the increase in children in hospital with Covid hasn't resulted in a rise in children being treated FOR Covid. We need the same information for other age groups. 

They won't try another lockdown the public have done their time they are now dosed up and the NHS has been saved. It will be ignored if they try it.
I totally agree with ignoring another lockdown but the problem remains for small businesses, hospitality trade and the like who would no doubt be the same easy targets for closing and short of going through the courts have little chance of changing the thought processes of Professor Doom and his pals.

I totally agree with ignoring another lockdown the problem remains for small businesses, hospitality trade and the like who would no doubt be the same easy targets for closing and short of going through the courts have little chance of changing the thought processes of Professor Doom and his pals.
The process should follow that which seen the English courts bin curfews.

Demonstrate, using evidence, what gain in terms of virus suppression there is from closing this business/sector, and the consequences in human terms, using evidence, of failure to do so.

Reacting by shutting shit down is a panic button move which was appropriate just over a year ago. It certainly isnt now. Targeting individual sectors is a total nonsense and the ones which remain in the crosshairs of Scotgov speak volumes about their attitude to certain social activities and the people who partake in them.

The process should follow that which seen the English courts bin curfews.

Demonstrate, using evidence, what gain in terms of virus suppression there is from closing this business/sector, and the consequences in human terms, using evidence, of failure to do so.

Reacting by shutting shit down is a panic button move which was appropriate just over a year ago. It certainly isnt now. Targeting individual sectors is a total nonsense and the ones which remain in the crosshairs of Scotgov speak volumes about their attitude to certain social activities and the people who partake in them.
I had some correspondence with my MSP at the back end of last year at a time when gyms were closed and fast foot outlets remained open. I suggested that given the known links between obesity and hospitalisations that the roles should be reversed but apparently some people have to access to fast food. I am quite partial to a take away myself but from a public health measure the restrictions imposed make little sense.

More 'Long Covid' fucking drivel. warnock.png

Posted at 10:15

One million report long Covid symptoms

image.gif.120ab15ffab60c71d8bfff28a6b6d944.gif
Copyright: Getty Images

An estimated one million people in private households in the UK reported experiencing "long Covid" in the four weeks to 2 May, according to new figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

Of these people, an estimated 869,000 first had Covid-19 - or suspected they had Covid-19 - at least 12 weeks previously while 376,000 first had the virus or suspected they had the virus at least one year ago.

Long Covid was estimated to be adversely affecting the day-to-day activities of 650,000 people, with 192,000 reporting that their ability to undertake day-to-day activities had been limited a lot.

Fatigue was the most common symptom reported as part of individuals' experience of long Covid (547,000 people), followed by shortness of breath (405,000), muscle ache (313,000), and difficulty concentrating (285,000).

We've got more on long Covid here.

9 minutes ago, Elixir said:

More 'Long Covid' fucking drivel. warnock.png

The issue with studies like this is 1. There’s no evidence many of these ‘long covid sufferers’ ever actually had covid and 2. Even if they did, there’s no evidence these symptoms are actually caused by covid as there was no control group.

4 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

The issue with studies like this is 1. There’s no evidence many of these ‘long covid sufferers’ ever actually had covid and 2. Even if they did, there’s no evidence these symptoms are actually caused by covid as there was no control group.

Self-reported symptoms including fatigue, muscle ache, and difficulty concentrating.

Absolutely hilarious.

13 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Self-reported symptoms including fatigue, muscle ache, and difficulty concentrating.

Absolutely hilarious.

You can quite literally get these symptoms from sitting on your hole in a bad home office setup each day, with no big bad virus required. 

The vast majority of these people of these people are without doubt malingerers, still fuming that their key worker gold stars were lost in the post last year. 

Edited by vikingTON

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I see today's ONS weekly report has new infections rising much more steeply in England and Wales than in Scotland which is a surprise given the rises here.

Why all the talk of new lockdowns all of a sudden ?

Knicker wetting I'd assume but in fairness I've not read right through the thread 

We're getting quite a few calls about long covid.   What can you do for me, er well nothing.  Awwhh ok.  
Irrespective of covid the last few years have seen an explosion in the im tired all the time dreadful consultation.  Usually folk that stay at home, are overweight and don't exercise.  The devastation when their bloods are  normal and told to maybe do something is tangible.  That's the vast majority incidentally.
Post viral fatigue is common as everyone knows but there is no way it is many as is being reported in the press.
Furthermore there are plenty of sicklines being issued for long covid.  Fancy a few weeks aff say you're tired with long covid symptoms.
Not everyone is at it but a lot are its a malingerers dream and I include lazy b*****d healthcare staff in that.
Had plenty of staff playing the covid card whilst been seen out and about having a grand time.
I'm an idiot, never off sick, maybe I should get myself a wee break with the long covid.  That's todays take take take society in a nutshell, lack of work ethic, f**k your colleagues, expect everything for f**k all.   

There will be a large number of people who are phoning you with long covid, specifically to place it on the record that they have consulted their GP over Long Covid, in the hope of some sort of claim/chisel coming along later.

We're getting quite a few calls about long covid.   What can you do for me, er well nothing.  Awwhh ok.  
Irrespective of covid the last few years have seen an explosion in the im tired all the time dreadful consultation.  Usually folk that stay at home, are overweight and don't exercise.  The devastation when their bloods are  normal and told to maybe do something is tangible.  That's the vast majority incidentally.
Post viral fatigue is common as everyone knows but there is no way it is many as is being reported in the press.
Furthermore there are plenty of sicklines being issued for long covid.  Fancy a few weeks aff say you're tired with long covid symptoms.
Not everyone is at it but a lot are its a malingerers dream and I include lazy b*****d healthcare staff in that.
Had plenty of staff playing the covid card whilst been seen out and about having a grand time.
I'm an idiot, never off sick, maybe I should get myself a wee break with the long covid.  That's todays take take take society in a nutshell, lack of work ethic, f**k your colleagues, expect everything for f**k all.   

I know of one person who was floored with it and genuinely took months to recover. They reckon they just had a bad dose of it but I remember him saying he went from doing 5ks to struggling to walk to the shop and back.

Apart from that, anyone else I know who had the virus hasn’t had any real issues. Only thing I can think is one person who’s tastebuds took a few days to return to normal after the isolation period ended.

15 hours ago, virginton said:

You can quite literally get these symptoms from sitting on your hole in a bad home office setup each day, with no big bad virus required. 

The vast majority of these people are without doubt malingerers, still fuming that their key worker gold stars were lost in the post last year. 

15 hours ago, Tynierose said:

And of course if you state this very grounded position, you'll likely be accused of being a 'Covid denier', especially by the 'public health experts' who should be advising the 'Long Covid sufferers' to cut the fags/takeaways, get out and exercise, and lose weight. warnock.png

Edited by Elixir