Coronavirus (COVID-19)

It would not be a problem if all construction work was stopped for a period of time, subject to things being made safe, watertight, etc.  However the tweet I posted earlier makes it clear that this is NOT policy.

5 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

If building houses that nobody lives in is considered to be essential then wtf isn't? 

Leaving an elderly couple or family without a back wall and kitchen might be a bit different. Imagine trying to draw up regulations that cover every feasible circumstance, there has to be room for personal responsibility and common sense. 

Edited by welshbairn

I agree but that’s not what the government is saying.  Given there could well be contractual issues involved clear, unequivocal direction is required.

I think the housing minister guy will have to change his advice soon.

It should be worded clearer -

"if work is deemed 'essential', then sites should follow guidelines...

If work is not essential, then we advise closing sites."

The pm was clear. That tweet you put up was in contradiction.

If they're building new hospitals then that's probably essential but surely most construction is not.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

I think the housing minister guy will have to change his advice soon.

It should be worded clearer -

"if work is deemed 'essential', then sites should follow guidelines...

If work is not essential, then we advise closing sites."

The pm was clear. That tweet you put up was in contradiction.

If they're building new hospitals then that's probably essential but surely most construction is not.

We agree about what SHOULD be happening.  You are wrong about the clarity of what has been announced.  There is no clarity.  The tweet by the Minister for the department in England makes his position very clear; construction work should continue.

Just now, The OP said:

The people who make dogs out of sand.

They inspire joy joy feelings and may be considered to be essential for the mental well-being on those who frequent the beach. 

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

They inspire joy joy feelings and may be considered to be essential for the mental well-being on those who frequent the beach. 

I mean the people who make dogs out of sand on Argyle Street and Sauchiehall Street. Definitely non-essential. 

I'd also say we could do without the mimes. 

We agree about what SHOULD be happening.  You are wrong about the clarity of what has been announced.  There is no clarity.  The tweet by the Minister for the department in England makes his position very clear; construction work should continue.

I hope that's rescinded. He needs to make it clearer.

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

For those interested the Falkland islands, the Solomon islands and Andaman & Nicobar islands are all still Covid-19 free.

This is totally irresponsible of you!

Do you have any idea how many foolish people will now be getting in their camper vans and heading off to the Falklands? 🙂

Just now, pandarilla said:
4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

At no point today did Johnson say that all non essential work should stop.  Neither is that being said in the written guidance that has been published subsequently.

The government position is that if you can work from home do so.  That is all.  That means existing government policy is that factories, construction sites, etc. should continue as normal and people who need to travel to work in them should do so.

I imagine any closing voluntarily and trying to claim the 80% wage subsidy for employees would find that difficult if not impossible.

This is a clusterfuck and somebody needs to take the blame. I’ve no idea who - one minute I feel like blaming the man in China that had a threesome with a bat and a pangolin then the next Jim Goodwin. I will not stay at the mother in laws any longer than originally planned.

Death/Recovery stats in different countries are all over the place.
Iceland 51 recovered 1 death
France 2,200 recovered 860 deaths
UK 135 recovered 335 deaths
Italy 7,432 recovered 6,077 deaths
Germany 422 recovered 118 deaths
Netherlands 2 recovered 213 deaths
We've tested so few people, there are probably a load who've had it and recovered who aren't part of the stats.

Here is the official guidance.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others

It matches what the PM said. One of the valid reasons for leaving home is "travelling for work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home".

As far as I can tell the "essential work only" thing is an erroneous addition by the Bbc. I think it might have stemmed from the "key workers" definition that was related to their children going to school.

I reckon people can still travel to and undertake non-essential / non-key work unless its in places that are specifically closed down - pubs, schools, some shops, etc.