Coronavirus (COVID-19)

So in other words 80%+, and likely some of those undecided, will take it despite being at next to no risk. A reminder also at this point that Israel have eviscerated this shan virus at ~80% of all adults fully vaccinated - a threshold the UK will eventually surpass given we have among the highest vaccine advocacy in the world.

This Hilary Jones creature needs jettisoned into the fiery depths of the Sun. Another one who is dreading this being over, papped off the tele, and back in his surgery having to prescribe acne creams to spotty teenagers. Into the bin you go.

The most American news story ever

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/556350-west-virginia-to-give-away-guns-as-vaccine-incentive

West Virginia will be giving away guns as an incentive to get residents of the state inoculated against COVID-19.

Gov. Jim Justice (R) announced a new incentive lottery program for residents to get vaccinated during a news conference on Tuesday

The drawings will run from Father’s Day on June 20 to Aug. 4, and will include a variety of prizes from cash to firearms and even trucks.

During the Father’s Day drawing, the state will give away five custom hunting rifles and five custom hunting shotguns.

Justice said the state will also give away two brand-new, custom outfitted trucks and five lifetime hunting and fishing licenses. In addition, residents could win one of 25 getaways to West Virginia’s state parks.

Also during the June 20 lottery, one person will win $1 million. There will also be giveaways for two full, four-year scholarships for any institution in the state to eligible students ages 12 to 25.

The state will further give away $1 million for five weeks in a row.

On Aug. 4, one person will win a grand prize of $1.58 million, and a runner-up will win $588,000.

Justice said that to be eligible, all residents need to do is get their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine. Anyone who has already been vaccinated is also eligible to win.

Last week, Justice encouraged residents to get vaccinated for his bulldog, Babydog.

“If you won't do it for your family, you've got to get vaccinated for Babydog,” he said.

Also last week, the governor announced that young adults aged 16-35 were eligible for a savings bond or $100 gift card through the state government when they are vaccinated. 

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Bit of a strange one this morning. I've had my text for 2nd Pfizer jag. 8 weeks to minute after 1st.

Now at the time, I was told it would be 12 weeks until 2nd, no more and no less. I know that England have pulled the 2nd jag strategy forward but there's nothing came out here that we were doing the same. 

Also a lot of people, including my partner, haven't even had word of their 2ns jag despite being older than me and getting their 1st jag 3 weeks before I did. It's all a bit bizarre. 

My mum got her second jag a few weeks ago and it was 8 weeks to the day and minute since her first one. 

Forgot to add, my GP surgery had queues round the corner of folk in their 30's waiting to go in.  Saw an old schoolmate I hadn't seen for about 15 years too.  Lovely stuff.

3 hours ago, Elric said:

Sturgeon has asked for furlough to be kept as long as necessary. Why?  We are never going to get back to normal as long as businesses do not reopen because they can claim furlough for the workers. Does this mean she is going to impose further restrictions on the hospitality and entertainment sectors?

I guarantee there would have been more demands for action and normality had furlough ended months ago. Folk dont really give a shit about an end of restrictions if they're still getting paid and they can watch Netflix and get takeaways every day. 

2 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I guarantee there would have been more demands for action and normality had furlough ended months ago. Folk dont really give a shit about an end of restrictions if they're still getting paid and they can watch Netflix and get takeaways every day. 

it actually makes me both sad and annoyed that there are folk like that.  i hope it's not as many as it sounds.  i've noticed less and less lovejoys on social media these days

7 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

it actually makes me both sad and annoyed that there are folk like that.  i hope it's not as many as it sounds.  i've noticed less and less lovejoys on social media these days

Probably because Devi and Sturgeon have pivoted.

29 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I've seen a lot of this in the last few days. Biden to give free beer away, places giving sports tickets, Krispy Kreme giving donuts for free if you're vaccinated. I hate it. Its coercion. If folk dont want the vaccine that should be their choice and their consequences. Bribing them with donuts and guns is fcking hideous 

10 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

It will be hard for some people to go back to pre March 2020 ways. Being paid to sit around all day and not be judged (like those on Universal Credit are) has been wonderful for a lot of people

41 minutes ago, Elixir said:

So in other words 80%+, and likely some of those undecided, will take it despite being at next to no risk. A reminder also at this point that Israel have eviscerated this shan virus at ~80% of all adults fully vaccinated - a threshold the UK will eventually surpass given we have among the highest vaccine advocacy in the world.

This Hilary Jones creature needs jettisoned into the fiery depths of the Sun. Another one who is dreading this being over, papped off the tele, and back in his surgery having to prescribe acne creams to spotty teenagers. Into the bin you go.

To be fair, Hilary Jones is hardly going to go back to irrelevance. He's been GMB's camera facing doctor since back in the days when Mr. Motivator booted Mad Lizzie into touch.

16 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

It will be hard for some people to go back to pre March 2020 ways. Being paid to sit around all day and not be judged (like those on Universal Credit are) has been wonderful for a lot of people

Fair enough, it's not a life i'd ever want. if i'm going to be off work i'd prefer to be able to have a wide range of things to do with my time rather than just sit around doing f**k all. in fact lockdown was one of the few times in life where i'd rather have been at work than off

That’s a couple of people in my team early 20’s now starting to receive their first vaccines in the next week or 2.

Must be flying through them here

27 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I've seen a lot of this in the last few days. Biden to give free beer away, places giving sports tickets, Krispy Kreme giving donuts for free if you're vaccinated. I hate it. Its coercion. If folk dont want the vaccine that should be their choice and their consequences. Bribing them with donuts and guns is fcking hideous 

Dont agree with giving away guns, but cmon, anyone who doesnt get vaccinated for anything other than medical reasons etc is an absolute bell end. 

Dont agree with giving away guns, but cmon, anyone who doesnt get vaccinated for anything other than medical reasons etc is an absolute bell end. 
I've had my first doze and support vaccination but if its ok for the politicians to say 'We JuSt DoNt KnOw!' regarding the VaRiAnTz then it's fair game for someone reluctant to get vaccinated for the same reason. All IMO of course.

29 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I suspect that there are more people who believe that everyone else wants to sit and watch Netflix for the rest of their days, than there are people who want to sit and watch Netflix for the rest of their days.  In much the same way as there are far more who believe anyone in reciept of benefits is a workshy cheat, than there are actual workshy benefit cheats.

Being stuck at home all the time will undoubtedly suit some, but many will be finding it very difficult, and even a quick look on this forum shows that a significant proportion of people do want to get back to the office to some extent, even if not on a full time basis.

The "getting paid to sit at home" argument also ignores that many people, who may have had finely balanced finances beforehand, will be paid often significantly less and will be struggling, as well as worrying about having a job to go back to.

TL:DR I think that it is more of a perception than reality, and as you do, hope that is less than it sounds.