Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Do variants of a virus not get weaker as they mutate?

Typically they seem to become better at spreading but less deadly.

Or so I remember someone saying when the Kent Variant appeared.

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Do variants of a virus not get weaker as they mutate?

There is no pattern. Some do some don't. 

It's worth bearing in mind that the virus is mutating all the time. Lots of these will be identified but will not have concerning features (specific spikes that indicate higher tranmissability or lethality amongst other stuff) so they are not reported.

The ones that are reported will tend to have features that could identify them as variants of concern (none of which as yet have proven to be concerning, but they do have these features that increase tranmissability, lethality, potential for vaccine escape etc - again tho, none have proven to be as concerning as first thought in the end up) 

Edited by madwullie

Guest TheJTS98
33 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

YES @Tight John McVeigh is a tit daily league tables were the boss, untill the UK took it serious. 

Some dafty said it was cringe, he got about 20 greens.  Shit was getting real🤣 

Some pretty good 'The boys will be home by Christmas' chat in the early days of this thread.

Weirdly, doesn't seem all that long ago. I remember Malaysia getting on the board with a proud fondness. WE WERE THERE AT THE START!

Got my second jag yesterday - in -oot in 15 mins.  It was supposed to be at TECA on Saturday afternoon but that would interfere with my golf so went online and booked a slot at Inverurie (which is closer)  Such an easy process changing it to a time and venue that suits.

Feel fine this morning, which is a relief as I felt dreadful for 2 or 3 days after my first jag

Sturgeon has asked for furlough to be kept as long as necessary. Why?  We are never going to get back to normal as long as businesses do not reopen because they can claim furlough for the workers. Does this mean she is going to impose further restrictions on the hospitality and entertainment sectors?

5 minutes ago, Elric said:

Sturgeon has asked for furlough to be kept as long as necessary. Why?  We are never going to get back to normal as long as businesses do not reopen because they can claim furlough for the workers. Does this mean she is going to impose further restrictions on the hospitality and entertainment sectors?

Any easy (and popular) demand when you aren't in charge of funding it. 

I agree it's ridiculous. Once restrictions on hospitality/retail etc are fully gone, furlough goes as well. 

Furlough stopped being necessary when any threat of the NHS being overwhelmed was stopped by vaccine rollout. It's long past time that this spending on the never-never was kicked away to leave Clownshoes Leitch's beloved restrictions twisting in the wind.

End furlough and the rest of the SG's 'near normality' pish falls apart. We can get normality instead then. 

:lol:

Government well and truly clamped with their invented ScArY VaRiAnT. 

Basically, it's the Indian variant they're still shitting themselves about. Which (surprise surprise) has managed to find its way to most of Europe. Called it on the last page. 

Edited by Michael W

I thought we were not to “label” the variants as it could be offensive and racist? Hence Nicola quickly jumped on the bandwagon and rebranded the Indian version as “April 02” which, for whatever reason is now “Delta”. To avoid upsetting some unknown Nepalese restaurant owner who happened to pick up the Daily Mail this morning , I presume today’s latest twist on Variants might be re-badged as “Echo”?

However won’t that upset the feelings of people suffering from tinnitus? Maybe we ought to follow Nicola’s lead and call this version “June 03” for consistency and that’ll give her 365 options for upcoming unnamed and unseen variants!

59 minutes ago, Elric said:

The problem is if we’re not fully open by August, we won’t be back to normal this year imo.

In September you’ve got schools going back, unis going back, more indoor mixing and seasonality coming back into play so cases will naturally rise. I can’t see Sturgeon opening up fully in those circumstances.

Our best hope is that furlough ends as planned in September and she is forced to open as otherwise it’ll be dragged on longer as ‘we just don’t know’.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

New variant just dropped 

W.H.O saying there is no such variant as the Nepal variant and that the daily mail are talking pish.edit. see Todd posted WHO response.

Will these scaremongering c***s be taken to task by the rest of the media or political parties.

Edited by dirty dingus