Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, oaksoft said:

I'm not even convinced this can be called science any more.

There's no science going on.

They are effectively statisticians.

Statistics is a science, a boring one for boring people, but a science nonetheless.

1 minute ago, mathematics said:

Statistics is a science, a boring one for boring people, but a science nonetheless.

Sadly you can't really be a scientist without doing some statistics. Being good at biology at school didn't help me when I started doing my PhD and had to learn about various statistical tools I needed to use. 

But even non-statisticians can see that infection levels are rising. As yet there is no up-swing in terms of deaths. ICU and hospitalisations are relatively flat. But I get the worry - pre-vaccine an increase in infections always led to an increase in deaths and hospitalisations. The questions now become more granular - we're no longer at infections = deaths.

Who is getting infected? Is it young, non-vaccintaed people who are unlikely to fall seriously ill? Are the people catching it symptomatic? 

If these are the kinds of questions we're asking now, then this is good news. Then we can target and plan responses beyond infections = deaths = lockdown. 

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I got fed up hearing the latest pants wetting pish on a nice taps aff day and started singing "Don't fear the reaper" to myself. Got to the chorus.. "Come on Devi, don't fear the reaper.."

Off topic, but I dream of a day when radio stations realise that BOC have actually recorded more than one song. Oh, all right, once in a while Godzilla gets an airing, but they're not the only band to be treated like this. Even the "niche" stations like Planet Rock are guilty. 

Anyway, as you were.

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

Shocked that they don't support measures that mean more time  at work for them.

Contrary to the image they like to portray 76% of teachers actually couldn't give a f**k about whether kids get a decent education or not.

If they don't give a fúck, why be teachers?

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

I can assure you that this isn't true in general, although a lot of scientists do use statistics as a tool.

As a scientist for the last 20 years, published over 40 journal articles, book chapters and conference papers, and working in a university department full of scientists...I thank you for your assurance. It must just be every scientist I know that uses statistics. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

'Wait for your blue envelope.'

'Get on the phone to them.'

These are phrases that have no place in an optimal public health rollout, in a developed country, in fucking 2021.

The Dundee phone line is outstanding you are on for about 5 minutes because the recorded message has to spell the email address they would prefer you use because it's so fucking ridiculous. Its like tay-localcov.19vax@nhs.scot  or something like that. 

Then they say lines are busy,please  phone back again and they cut you off.

I took advice in here and just pitched up in the evening on appointment day and was seen no bother at all. I'm now one of the immortals. 

Just now, oaksoft said:

It must be.

You're not the only scientist on here.

Fair enough. If other scientists want to come on and explain how they can gather any meaningful results without some sort of statistical analysis, I'm all ears. It would save me a shitload of time if I could do that, let me tell you.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I would agree with this in principle but teaching is no different from any other job.

There will be a very significant portion of people doing that job because they want to pay the bills and have no other interest in it. Just like in any other profession.

Looks like the "reasonableness" side effect you picked up from the vaccine (or somewhere) is wearing off. What a fucking stupid statement to make. 

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

Fair enough. If other scientists want to come on and explain how they can gather any meaningful results without some sort of statistical analysis, I'm all ears. It would save me a shitload of time if I could do that, let me tell you.

When I was in academia, I used chicken entrails.

3 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Wild holiday entitlement is a huge driver.

Yep, it's a great selling point having fixed holidays every year when, for some reason, the price of actually having a holiday goes through the roof and any resort you can afford to get to will be over-run with the wee people you've just spent months trying to control at work.

I'm surprised folk don't do it for fúck all.