Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Had to double check that Sky Sports had LIVE on the corner of the screen, massive crowd at the darts.
20% capacity 1100 in the Marshall Arena (part of stadium MK I believe) which holds 5500 in line with the current English restrictions. There was an interesting wee article on SSN how they adapted it to make it look more "normal". What I don't get is big reduction in capacity but then cramming those there into a part of the arena with the rest basically still mothballed.

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
52 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
Had to double check that Sky Sports had LIVE on the corner of the screen, massive crowd at the darts.

20% capacity 1100 in the Marshall Arena (part of stadium MK I believe) which holds 5500 in line with the current English restrictions. There was an interesting wee article on SSN how they adapted it to make it look more "normal". What I don't get is big reduction in capacity but then cramming those there into a part of the arena with the rest basically still mothballed.

What are they doing up here for indoor sports events?

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

Banning crowds.  You should keep up with the news mate.

Surely we're not getting more "whits the point in them daein that!" posts while the government they're simping over continue to allow zero crowds at anything?

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

I see a Thai variant (I assume NS will call this the May 27 variant...) has been identified in the UK.

I wonder how much more transmissible this one will be claimed to be, only to be shown up as pure bollocks a week or so later.

IMG_20210527_204537.jpg

Surely we're not getting more "whits the point in them daein that!" posts while the government they're simping over continue to allow zero crowds at anything?
My post was the opposite. It was clever how they actually made it look "normal" despite the 20% limit. I can't think of any big indoor sports events of that stature we host bar the darts but the PLD isn't going on a circuit hence it all being held in this one Covid secure venue. Think the current limit in L2 here indoors is 100 whereas it's 20% in England.

2 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I mean yes you are significantly more likely to get caught for breaking the covid rules, say two police officers get called to a house party in say Shawlands with 20 people, they warn the occupants and their guests to end the evening, thats one incident with 20 people warned. Say they get a call to re-attend and issue tickets to 15 people who refused to leave and started with the ‘im a law student stuff you c***s’ then that’s a further 15 separate counting towards those figures. So you can see that for one flat party you can generate stats that show 35 people involved in covid breaches as thats the way the data is transferred to the Scottish Government (i know this because a close friend of mine has the task of being one of the people who collate that information). 

Yeah, I take your point. You're probably more likely to get caught at a 20 person house party in Glasgow than Mull. But it's a good bet that, pound for pound, there are more 20-person house parties going on in Glasgow than Mull, which is the point. Proportionally more folk will be breaking the rules in all the cities I'd imagine. I'm sure Edinburgh would be seeing high proportions of rule breaking as well. I don't think you're 2-3 times more likely to get caught if you are breaking the rules in Glasgow than you are in Edinburgh, Kirkcaldy, Inverness or Aberdeen though.

Edited by Gordon EF

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

I see a Thai variant (I assume NS will call this the May 27 variant...) has been identified in the UK.

I wonder how much more transmissible this one will be claimed to be, only to be shown up as pure bollocks a week or so later.

It will be the end of the world until it gets Hancock and Johnson off the front pages.

BBC News - Covid: Boris Johnson says England may need to wait to end restrictions
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57269032

So he can see nothing to stop the 21 June lifting of restrictions but we may have to wait ! He was pressed in a Sky interview about that statement and he "clarified" by claiming a delay wouldn't be stopping...he said stopping meant scrapping but he could see no reason for that but thinks the Indian variant case rises might well prevent the lifting of restrictions as hoped on 21 June.

5 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

BBC News - Covid: Boris Johnson says England may need to wait to end restrictions
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57269032

So he can see nothing to stop the 21 June lifting of restrictions but we may have to wait ! He was pressed in a Sky interview about that statement and he "clarified" by claiming a delay wouldn't be stopping...he said stopping meant scrapping but he could see no reason for that but thinks the Indian variant case rises might well prevent the lifting of restrictions as hoped on 21 June.

Are you really surprised Boris responded in a bumbling bufoonery manner?

Are you really surprised Boris responded in a bumbling bufoonery manner?
I would be genuinely surprised if he doesn't lift restrictions on 21 June given the expectation. He's a populist plain and simple and I suspect things would need to be going badly in the wrong direction. That said I'm a tad surprised he is even contemplating delaying given the hype the media are whipping up over "freedom" day.

14 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That wasn't what I asked for at all.

You know, what I asked for was perfectly simple.

You were so confident when you linked rising cases to "people not following the rules" that I thought to myself, "Oaky? that Gordon boy has done his research. He knows what he's talking about. No way would he open his mouth and start ripping into Glaswegians without having any factual information AT ALL".

Until you can show a direct link between rising cases and people flaunting the rules I suggest you stop right now because you're coming out of this looking pretty daft. Any formal report which shows evidence linking the two would be fine.

You're getting so indignant about a point I wasn't even making. You know as well as I do there would never be a report like that.

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

I hope that events like these are being used to test the water for what impact they may have on cases, in which case limiting numbers but allowing them to function essentially normally makes sense. I've no idea if negative tests etc are required, but hopefully if there is no negative impact on hospitalisations and deaths that charade will end soon and we will have a period of limited numbers, but no distancing / mask / test requirements before getting up to 100%

I am not sure at all if the UK Gov are not sure there approach is the right one, or if these events are aimed more at reassuring the Lovejoys ahead of larger scale easing.

It is, however, a whopping contrast to the SG approach, however, where indoor crowds are banned entirely, and outdoor crowds are limited to a pathetic 500. The argument that they may as well let England do the test events and we can just react to the findings falls down when you consider that our venues etc are still missing out on much needed outcome.

1 hour ago, Wee Bully said:

Honestly the worst patter ever.

I would respond with a witty gif, but you are really not worth it.  A complete waste of skin. 

Blimey, he has you absolutely seething to come out with stuff like that. Relax.

Edited by Honest_Man#1

47 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I hope that events like these are being used to test the water for what impact they may have on cases, in which case limiting numbers but allowing them to function essentially normally makes sense. I've no idea if negative tests etc are required, but hopefully if there is no negative impact on hospitalisations and deaths that charade will end soon and we will have a period of limited numbers, but no distancing / mask / test requirements before getting up to 100%

I am not sure at all if the UK Gov are not sure there approach is the right one, or if these events are aimed more at reassuring the Lovejoys ahead of larger scale easing.

It is, however, a whopping contrast to the SG approach, however, where indoor crowds are banned entirely, and outdoor crowds are limited to a pathetic 500. The argument that they may as well let England do the test events and we can just react to the findings falls down when you consider that our venues etc are still missing out on much needed outcome.

If we’re quite happy to let  England do our testing why aren’t we accepting the outcomes from Israel and the USA?

31 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

10% of people in hospital with covid have had both jabs. 

This is good.

I'm absolutely stunned to find that the insights from Israeli data, highlighted by the P&Bers as far back as January, also apply here.

It's almost as if science is a thing that can be applied to a virus...

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'm absolutely stunned to find that the insights from Israeli data, highlighted by the P&Bs Main Players as far back as January, also apply here.

It's almost as if science is a thing that can be applied to a virus...

ftfy