Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Whit ! I meant grim for anyone hoping to get to see family anytime soon. They are stuck in a cycle of licking down at the drop of a hat with no real sign of a vaccination policy to get them out that just a pull up the drawbridges system so yes it's grim reading for anyone with family in Australia hoping to get home or us getting out there.

Of course, this is all true.

Politically though, they've been constantly flagged up as doing things the "right" way and an example of what can happen if we follow the likes of Devi's advice. As things have turned out, they have very little natural immunity through previous infection which means their already slow vaccine rollout becomes even more important than it is here.

People have shot their load far too early when discussing how amazing Australia have dealt with all this.

9 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

Politically though, they've been constantly flagged up as doing things the "right" way and an example of what can happen if we follow the likes of Devi's advice. As things have turned out, they have very little natural immunity through previous infection which means their already slow vaccine rollout becomes even more important than it is here.

People have shot their load far too early when discussing how amazing Australia have dealt with all this.

people i know i AUS/NZ  are absolutely terrified of the virus as if it meant certain death , whereas we all know about 10 folk whov had it and had nothing more than a week in their bed with some lemsip 

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd

36 minutes ago, Michael W said:

This will keep happening until they get a grip with their vaccination programme. 

Hard really to criticise them too much when they've kept the death count low, but their exit strategy is essentially to hide and they are going to be left behind. Their vaccination programme is very poor for an advanced economy. 

I really don't understand the reluctance to vax up either. They must see the data from Israel and us, and realise that getting as jaggy as possible as quickly as possible is in their interests. 

I've got a really sinking feeling that cumings' telling tales is going to have massive ramifications for all us rational minded people

A lot of stars came together to make covid the menace that it was, -china's dodgy data,  highly contagious,  Enough of a fatality rate that when combined with trasmission rates would kill a lot of people,  airborne, Asymptomatic transmission & long incubation perioid.  the kind of things that sort of made lockdown unavoidable at least in the early first wave. 

But now that all of this government incompetence has been blasted out in the open , i fear that the lovejoys of the world will start demanding lockdowns and the like every time any sort of new threat appears anywhere.  The government will not be able to give them satisfactory reassurance that lockdowns are unnecessary this time because it is now public knowledge how fucking clueless they were last year.  i worry that we're going to see far more snap cancellations, international travel restrictions ,  potential quarantine for international arrivals imposed on a whim and costly insurance to cover   you should you get caught up in such shite 

18 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I really don't understand the reluctance to vax up either. They must see the data from Israel and us, and realise that getting as jaggy as possible as quickly as possible is in their interests. 

I guess other than their border policies and the odd snap lockdown, they look around and things are pretty much normal. They probably don't see it as especially urgent.That's where the government comes in and they seem to be under a fair bit of pressure too. 

I think their main vaccine is AZ/Oxford as well, so whether that's caused hesitancy too, I'm not sure. 

Agreed 100%

Was there a COVID update before FMQs? Turned it on a few minutes late - just in time to see Douglas Ross acting like a cock - and heard a brief reference from Sturgeon to a small reduction in hospital/ICU numbers but nothing else.

2 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Was there a COVID update before FMQs? Turned it on a few minutes late - just in time to see Douglas Ross acting like a cock - and heard a brief reference from Sturgeon to a small reduction in hospital/ICU numbers but nothing else.

No update.  Straight into questions

Whilst making that reference she also confirmed 464 cases yesterday (1.8%).

Edit - Beaten to it!

There was no Scottish Government advisory group until April 2020, when the damage was done in the first wave. I’ve not seen Sridhar’s specific comments but I presume with the Cummings event they were probably tied to early 2020.

In fairness to Sridhar, and it won’t be popular here, she called most of the pandemic bang on until the vaccines arrived, which is why she gained such prominence early on.

50 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

What’s interesting in that is that the Scottish Covid outcomes are significantly different to the wider UK, particularly in death rates, so I’m not sure what point he is trying to make

1 minute ago, Wee Bully said:

What’s interesting in that is that the Scottish Covid outcomes are significantly different to the wider UK, particularly in death rates, so I’m not sure what point he is trying to make

is it? i think once you take population size into account we don't look too good either?

We're also not the thinnest or healthiest bunch around either 

2 hours ago, anotherchance said:

There is still an argument that it was the "right" way because they've been living a far more normal life than most of us for some time. It's the way out of the very tight borders they have as a consequence that is the problem for them. Vaccines are clearly giving everyone a possible exit, and while Australia don't have the same pressing need as some countries to vaccinate quickly, how can they not see them as the main solution?

4 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

is it? i think once you take population size into account we don't look too good either?

We're also not the thinnest or healthiest bunch around either 

Only Northern Ireland have better numbers for deaths per 100k population in the UK. I'm also not completely sure of any numbers to show it, but although to start with our numbers were terrible, since after the first lockdown, deaths have been far fewer, including in care homes. 

464 new cases of COVID-19 reported

28,699 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results

1.8% of these were positive

0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive

4 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (6 yesterday)

83 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19  (98 yesterday)

3,174,807 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 1,942,285 have received their second dose

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

There's some pretty significant fluctuations on those hospital numbers. A decrease of 15 in one day on those numbers is a lot - presume there's a reporting lag on discharges? 

Good news to see it fall in amongst the highest case numbers we've seen for some time.