Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just off the top of my head:
1. People having to queue to go into shops due to restricted numbers allowed inside.
2. People wearing masks in any indoor setting.
3. People inside cafes/restaurants/pubs not allowed to order at the bar, everything seated table service.
4. Any indoor activity between people severely limited in number of people and number of households mixing (luckily this one is easily ignored).
You have fallen into the Oaksoft trap. You would not notice those things driving through a town which was the context. Queue outside a shop you might but not seeing any of that now here even our Morrisons which seems to be run by a relative of an SS officer has stopped the queuing outside.

I never said for 1 second measures dont exist but you need to read Random Guys post I responded to for context here.

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

You have fallen into the Oaksoft trap. You would not notice those things driving through a town which was the context. Queue outside a shop you might but not seeing any of that now here even our Morrisons which seems to be run by a relative of an SS officer has stopped the queuing outside.

I never said for 1 second measures dont exist but you need to read Random Guys post I responded to for context here.

Walking or driving through a town was said. You would see all of those things whilst walking through a town, and 2 of the 4 if driving.

Ah but you need "the context".
Apparently "the context" is that if you drive or walk through a town centre at 3am on a Tuesday night with your eyes shut, wearing headphones, then really what restrictions can you honestly tell us about?
That would seem to be BJK's argument here. 
You dont half talk shite. How would you see any of those things whilst driving bar a queue which are few and far between (down here anyway now). Again twisting answers. For the avoidance
Of your doubt OF COURSE UMPTEEN RESTRICTIONS ARE STILL IN PLACE, I NEVER SAID THEY WERE NOT. Understand ???

Let me remind you of the initial response. It was to Random Guy who said he drove through Paisley this week and everything looked back to normal. He took that as a sign folk had chuckled restrictions but I asked what he expected to see that would suggest otherwise. Bar a queue outside an odd shop there isn't much you would actually notice, while driving. You have yet to provide anything to the contrary bar a total misrepresentation of what I said ie there are no restrictions which quite clearly is nonsense but you know that, your not stupid.

Walking or driving through a town was said. You would see all of those things whilst walking through a town, and 2 of the 4 if driving.
I must concentrate far more than most then when driving as I wouldn't be looking inside bars, shops, cafes etc while driving. Not sure where you live but hee haw people wearing masks walking in the street here (thankfully). Yes those restrictions you list exist I'm not denying that. Perhaps it's just my driving style.

31 minutes ago, Elixir said:

As I've said previously, reasons likely include but won't be limited to: lower levels of immunity through natural infection than England, lower vaccination rates than Wales, weather that has been unseasonably cold and wet for the time of year - even more so up here - therefore forcing greater indoor than outdoor mixing as society opens up. We know that's where transmission occurs.

if this current rate of cases doesnt transfer into significant increases in hospitalisations, serious illness & death in 2-3 weeks time then the vaccines have well and truly pumped this virus and are now just passing it about in their own half waiting for full time 

I work with a colleague who really enjoys lecturing about "those dirty weegies who can't follow rules" in the really annoying, condescending Morningside of Edinburgh way.  I've tried explaining that deprivation is undoubtedly the main factor with other demographics such as density and types of work probably helping to explain, in part, why Glasgow has suffered higher rates of infection than everywhere else.  

It still seems, anecdotally at least, there are a fair few folk who are more interested in being on the "correct" side of all of this than actively wanting to see us get through it and back to normal.  

52 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

How is it more difficult to prevent people from one postcode from travelling to another than preventing them travelling from one council area to another? I really can't understand this logic at all.

Someone should show Humza Army of the Dead and then we can crack on with surrounding the Southside with shipping containers and stopping the 75, 7 and all the other services from crossing the river.

27 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
37 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I must concentrate far more than most then when driving as I wouldn't be looking inside bars, shops, cafes etc while driving. Not sure where you live but hee haw people wearing masks walking in the street here (thankfully). Yes those restrictions you list exist I'm not denying that. Perhaps it's just my driving style.

I live in Edinburgh so walking around would experience all 4 of the things I posted, driving through it on a daily basis you see masks and queue for cafes/shops.

9 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
16 minutes ago, Elixir said:
Oh dear. titter.png&key=f4bb65a4520ad900182c88a712c8ec7bbb5207bcb27513251c28d5ccc47bc2df

No laughing matter for anyone with family in Australia unfortunately. Pretty grim reading for them in fact.

Are you on planet Earth? “Pretty grim reading” that there are a grand total of 34 (THIRTY FOUR) cases in the entire state?

12 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

You'll of course be able to prove that this is what is causing the issue in Glasgow?

There are obviously multiple causes. It's not just Glasgow, I generally feel we don't collectively take enough responsibility for stuff like this. I've seen/heard multiple people from Glasgow talk as if it's unfair or the government's fault that they're stuck in level 3. It's the equivalent to folk moaning about the post-Christmas lockdowns knowing full well that far too many people broke the rules over Christmas (including me).

I can't give you conclusive proof that folk ignoring the rules over Christmas led to the spike in cases in Januray either. It's a pretty safe bet though.

Edited by Gordon EF

18 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Oh dear. titter.png

This will keep happening until they get a grip with their vaccination programme. 

Hard really to criticise them too much when they've kept the death count low, but their exit strategy is essentially to hide and they are going to be left behind. Their vaccination programme is very poor for an advanced economy. 

17 minutes ago, super_carson said:

I work with a colleague who really enjoys lecturing about "those dirty weegies who can't follow rules" in the really annoying, condescending Morningside of Edinburgh way.  I've tried explaining that deprivation is undoubtedly the main factor with other demographics such as density and types of work probably helping to explain, in part, why Glasgow has suffered higher rates of infection than everywhere else.  

It still seems, anecdotally at least, there are a fair few folk who are more interested in being on the "correct" side of all of this than actively wanting to see us get through it and back to normal.  

Some people dont really get the issues like this. 
Factor in the poverty/closely compacted homes etc with the significant number of multi-generational families etc and you’ve got ideal conditions for there to be more cases than in morningside etc. Out and about in gorbals today, folks doing their best with masks and distancing, they are trying to get cases down.

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

This will keep happening until they get a grip with their vaccination programme. 

Hard really to criticise them too much when they've kept the death count low, but their exit strategy is essentially to hide and they are going to be left behind. Their vaccination programme is very poor for an advanced economy. 

Exactly this. Think, say, two years ahead. Countries in Europe and the US have had a mix of covid infecting plenty of people and a successful vaccine programme. The virus will be well in hand at that stage. In Australia, with almost no natural immunity and vaccine hesitancy, how will/can they reopen? Will they accept cases and deaths as a result?

42 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

If people in Glasgow don't like being in level 3, they should probably point the finger a bit more at the folk in Glasgow who clearly haven't been following the guidelines.

People haven't been following the guidelines anywhere for about 2 months. Yet places like Inverclyde are essentially on level 0 numbers with parties going on every weekend. Just your luck. 

Are you on planet Earth? “Pretty grim reading” that there are a grand total of 34 (THIRTY FOUR) cases in the entire state?
Whit ! I meant grim for anyone hoping to get to see family anytime soon. They are stuck in a cycle of licking down at the drop of a hat with no real sign of a vaccination policy to get them out that just a pull up the drawbridges system so yes it's grim reading for anyone with family in Australia hoping to get home or us getting out there.

You seem to be back to reading stuff into every post I make that simply isn't there. Not sure why or what angle you are actually looking for but for anyone with family in Australia any talk of lockdowns at the first sign of cases is not good news.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
20 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

They are stuck in a cycle of licking down at the drop of a hat 

It's been a long year mate. 

12 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Exactly this. Think, say, two years ahead. Countries in Europe and the US have had a mix of covid infecting plenty of people and a successful vaccine programme. The virus will be well in hand at that stage. In Australia, with almost no natural immunity and vaccine hesitancy, how will/can they reopen? Will they accept cases and deaths as a result?

I don't see how they can realistically change track now - the vaccines are their exit as they are for most, but the other measures can't be relaxed. They're used to low case rates and running even a modest rate of 300/400 per day would probably lead to a lot of anger. 

I don't think they'll accept it. The Government would be crucified.