Coronavirus (COVID-19)

36 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I think they are still the same place. Well the letter said it was at the Louisa Jordan and the signs in the Hydro had Louisa Jordon on the walls etc. The cubicles were still there but repurposed for giving injections - no beds or anything now.

When I got mine it was in the SEC, not the Hydro. I think they moved the whole operation across the road.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/science/article/we-now-know-how-much-children-spread-coronavirus
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03284-3
Study in Iceland involving 40,000 people showed kids under 15 were 50% as susceptible and only 50% as likely to transmit the disease. Most kids infected by adults and not other kids.
That would mean that community R would need to be greater than 2 for schools to maintain an R greater than 1 within that system. So that'd mean that infections within schools would be likely to burn out quickly, and then most infections would have to travel adult to child to see the increases in https://journals.plos.org/ploscompbiol/article?id=10.1371/journal.pcbi.1008559
This from Israel suggests kids were only 43% as susceptible to Covid as adults and only 63% of the transmissiblity of adults.
I don't think kids don't transmit and I don't think schools are a sterile environment, and at this point I think it's largely an irrelevant argument. Vaccinations have this beat. However, my definition of 'driving' infections would be something that was an engine of disease growth - schools may reflect wider community transmission and I certainly would agree with the notion that they amplify underlying case loads, but I don't think they generate exponential growth in of themselves. 
The real issues with schools is that if there is high community infection and infection gets into a school then it has the potential to spread.

I get the anger from some here regards schools because Swinney was saying schools were not a risk - that clearly was nonsense.

As you say though, it's irrelevant now.

When I got mine it was in the SEC, not the Hydro. I think they moved the whole operation across the road.
Yep.
I got mine in the Hydro, but it was still branded as The Louisa Jordan.
Probably splitting hairs on my part, but the hospital part is gone.
The most important part is that a jag was administered in all instances. [emoji382]

What restrictions?
Are you seriously asking this?
You are at it with this. You have to be.
You're misreading that (probably intentionally). Of course there are restrictions but not ones you would notice driving or walking through a town specifically but you know that.

Read the original post I was responding to for context !

I understand what you're saying but the current context is that we're comparing 2 very small sets of numbers here and trying to come to conclusions about why one is marginally higher than the other (yes I know we're double England but double f**k all and you're still looking at f**k all).
Also, the rises are happening in only a handful of areas and really only about 2 of them are driving everything. The vast majority of council areas are either going down or are essentially static.
Finally, those rising case numbers are NOT reflected in increases in hospitalisations and deaths.
So as I said, for me these numbers look very good and continue to be very good despite all the opening up which happened weeks ago. Until evidence proves otherwise of course.
Cases are rising and have been for some time in more than a couple of LA's. Read Superbigal's daily updates. Yes no real uptick in hospitalizations or deaths but numbers can't continue to rise unchecked or there will be eventually. My main gripe is why our numbers are so much higher than the rest of the UK. There has to be a social / behavioral element to that, it's too constant and sustained not to be now. Of course relaxation of measures means uptick but ours is way out of line per head of population. Why ?

12 hours ago, renton said:

However, my definition of 'driving' infections would be something that was an engine of disease growth - schools may reflect wider community transmission and I certainly would agree with the notion that they amplify underlying case loads, but I don't think they generate exponential growth in of themselves. 

Under your definition there is no driver of infections at all then: no single sector or activity is responsible for 'generating exponential growth' all by itself. So you either accept that schools play a significant role in community outbreaks (0.4 of an R number slightly above 1 in hotspot areas) or you say that nothing is responsible for case rate rises. In which case there are no grounds for any continued restrictions on other sectors and everyday life. 

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
8 hours ago, oaksoft said:
I understand what you're saying but the current context is that we're comparing 2 very small sets of numbers here and trying to come to conclusions about why one is marginally higher than the other (yes I know we're double England but double f**k all and you're still looking at f**k all).
Also, the rises are happening in only a handful of areas and really only about 2 of them are driving everything. The vast majority of council areas are either going down or are essentially static.
Finally, those rising case numbers are NOT reflected in increases in hospitalisations and deaths.
So as I said, for me these numbers look very good and continue to be very good despite all the opening up which happened weeks ago. Until evidence proves otherwise of course.

Cases are rising and have been for some time in more than a couple of LA's. Read Superbigal's daily updates. Yes no real uptick in hospitalizations or deaths but numbers can't continue to rise unchecked or there will be eventually. My main gripe is why our numbers are so much higher than the rest of the UK. There has to be a social / behavioral element to that, it's too constant and sustained not to be now. Of course relaxation of measures means uptick but ours is way out of line per head of population. Why ?

Why?  The vulnerable are protected.  The link has been broken.  Even Sturgeon almost admitted that this week.

You're misreading that (probably intentionally). Of course there are restrictions but not ones you would notice driving or walking through a town specifically but you know that.

Read the original post I was responding to for context !

Just off the top of my head:

1. People having to queue to go into shops due to restricted numbers allowed inside.

2. People wearing masks in any indoor setting.

3. People inside cafes/restaurants/pubs not allowed to order at the bar, everything seated table service.

4. Any indoor activity between people severely limited in number of people and number of households mixing (luckily this one is easily ignored).

How is it more difficult to prevent people from one postcode from travelling to another than preventing them travelling from one council area to another? I really can't understand this logic at all.

Lack of signage?

6 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

How is it more difficult to prevent people from one postcode from travelling to another than preventing them travelling from one council area to another? I really can't understand this logic at all.

If he thinks people aren't meeting up indoors in Glasgow regardless of postcode just now anyway then he's even more stupid than Freeman.

3 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Broadly speaking, folk know when they are in Glasgow or not. It’s a bit more ambiguous to tell you were in an area of the city and cross over into another most of the time.

It’s nonsense, don’t get me wrong, but I can just about see the logic.

8 hours ago, oaksoft said:

As I've said previously, reasons likely include but won't be limited to: lower levels of immunity through natural infection than England, lower vaccination rates than Wales, weather that has been unseasonably cold and wet for the time of year - even more so up here - therefore forcing greater indoor than outdoor mixing as society opens up. We know that's where transmission occurs.

Why?  The vulnerable are protected.  The link has been broken.  Even Sturgeon almost admitted that this week.
It looks that way but it would be tested far harder if the number of new cases keep growing as they currently are. I'm really not saying we need to worry about it just intrigued why we have such a large number compared to elsewhere. What is driving uptick here compared to elsewhere.

ETA all valid points in Elixirs response.