Coronavirus (COVID-19)

22 minutes ago, renton said:

The small scale studies done previously showed predominantly adult to child infection.

The "infection factories" were open for a good two months without driving case loads up, indeed they continued to fall. What changed?

Now with non essential retail, hospitality and indoor mixing allowed cases in non vaccinated groups are rising. Kids are getting it but it seems like adults in unvaccinated groups are likely, but not always passing it into kids. Obviously there is still some kid to kid and kid to adult infections but we had two months of thousands of kids in urban and rural areas, locked in classrooms 8 hours a day and no consumerate rise in infections, yet society opens up and then there is a rise in all unvaccinated groups.

I'm really not sure which part of 'schools amplify existing community transmission' you are still not getting. Where there is community transmission, having schools and other sectors open effectively guarantees that cases will be 'stubbornly' because schools alone add up to 0.4 to the R number. I'm sure that a gold star is in the post for them not sustaining outbreaks while the 'non-essential' economy was shut down for months on end though. 

The idea that the majority of cases in children are being caused by adult-child transmission is just laughable. One child may get it that way but then several others in their class get it from them. That is how respiratory diseases spread in a school setting every fucking year. 

Edited by vikingTON

16 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

In general no one is forcing people to be tested, the vast majority are voluntary. The queues at the asymptomatic test sites are testament to demand. I'm not sure I've seen any experts saying we should be stopping testing, that's a bit of a Trump stance !

No testing, no cases, no Covid is basically sticking your head in the sand. We are learning to live with it as an endemic virus, not just declaring it no longer exists !

Yip and most are the hypochondriac brigade. I worked at the test centre for a few months and I saw the same old faces week in week out. Who clearly werent there because their work needed them to be tested. 

14 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

In general no one is forcing people to be tested, the vast majority are voluntary. The queues at the asymptomatic test sites are testament to demand. I'm not sure I've seen any experts saying we should be stopping testing, that's a bit of a Trump stance !

No testing, no cases, no Covid is basically sticking your head in the sand. We are learning to live with it as an endemic virus, not just declaring it no longer exists !

If very few people are going into hospital who cares about knowing how many people have the virus?  It’s utterly irrelevant other than allowing the government to bang on about their “world beating” test and trace system.

it’s achieving nothing at this point in time.

If very few people are going into hospital who cares about knowing how many people have the virus?  It’s utterly irrelevant other than allowing the government to bang on about their “world beating” test and trace system.
it’s achieving nothing at this point in time.
I'm sure that's where we are headed once everyone has had both doses. Pretty sure asymptomatic testing will stop then likewise testing to prove negativity. If you go to the doctors after that with a new persistent cough (for example) you will still need to be tested to eliminate Covid if only as part of the process of elimination to reach a diagnosis but these will surely not need to be recorded and reported on.

It's all part of a process to move from a pandemic to it becoming endemic in every day life.

27 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I'm sure that's where we are headed once everyone has had both doses. Pretty sure asymptomatic testing will stop then likewise testing to prove negativity. If you go to the doctors after that with a new persistent cough (for example) you will still need to be tested to eliminate Covid if only as part of the process of elimination to reach a diagnosis but these will surely not need to be recorded and reported on.

It's all part of a process to move from a pandemic to it becoming endemic in every day life.

Aye, we really need to stop obsessing over whether or not the individual has covid, and instead focus on, have we enough herd protection that it doesnt matter whether any particular individual has covid, in terms of burden on the health service. If we are not there now, we certainly will be soon.

4 hours ago, Abdul_Latif said:

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/nicola-sturgeon-announce-level-0-20683208

The First Minister will set out in June how the country will look when the lockdown levels system is scrapped.”

FML - What is even to consider?  Once emergency legislation is binned everything goes back as was. Sneaking in any changes long term to everyday life in the guise of safety and compassion is a piss take.

It will be interesting to hear the plans. Any restrictions past level 0 and they will rightfully 100% ignored by the majority of the country except for the Helen Lovejoy types. 

Edited by Lyle Lanley

Just had my first vaccination at the NHS Louisa Jordan. It was really quite impressive to see how they built it up so well, I’m glad it was never needed for people sick with Covid but it’s huge, even for a mass vaccination centre.  

Starting to feel a bit shit now mind. 

Edited by Jambomo

46 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

It will be interesting to hear the plans. Any restrictions past level 0 and they will rightfully 100% ignored by the majority of the country except for the Helen Lovejoy types. 

Most restrictions already are being ignored.

I was in Paisley today and driving through it + my end destination was almost identical to last time I was there a couple of years ago.

The Government restrictions are simply harming businesses now, nothing more.

The thing I’m interested in is plans for vaccines. The U.K. government has plans in place to construct facilities for mRNA vaccine production in the U.K. This will allow rapid production of any vaccine required for top up boosters or any vaccine escape variants. I’m obviously no expert but I also understand that mRNA vaccines have potential for use on other viruses.

11 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The thing I’m interested in is plans for vaccines. The U.K. government has plans in place to construct facilities for mRNA vaccine production in the U.K. This will allow rapid production of any vaccine required for top up boosters or any vaccine escape variants. I’m obviously no expert but I also understand that mRNA vaccines have potential for use on other viruses.

I think I remember reading that they think they’ll be able to produce an HIV vaccine from mRna?

1 hour ago, virginton said:

I'm really not sure which part of 'schools amplify existing community transmission' you are still not getting. Where there is community transmission, having schools and other sectors open effectively guarantees that cases will be 'stubbornly' because schools alone add up to 0.4 to the R number. I'm sure that a gold star is in the post for them not sustaining outbreaks while the 'non-essential' economy was shut down for months on end though. 

The idea that the majority of cases in children are being caused by adult-child transmission is just laughable. One child may get it that way but then several others in their class get it from them. That is how respiratory diseases spread in a school setting every fucking 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/science/article/we-now-know-how-much-children-spread-coronavirus

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03284-3

Study in Iceland involving 40,000 people showed kids under 15 were 50% as susceptible and only 50% as likely to transmit the disease. Most kids infected by adults and not other kids.

That would mean that community R would need to be greater than 2 for schools to maintain an R greater than 1 within that system. So that'd mean that infections within schools would be likely to burn out quickly, and then most infections would have to travel adult to child to see the increases in <15 year olds that we are.

https://journals.plos.org/ploscompbiol/article?id=10.1371/journal.pcbi.1008559

This from Israel suggests kids were only 43% as susceptible to Covid as adults and only 63% of the transmissiblity of adults.

I don't think kids don't transmit and I don't think schools are a sterile environment, and at this point I think it's largely an irrelevant argument. Vaccinations have this beat. However, my definition of 'driving' infections would be something that was an engine of disease growth - schools may reflect wider community transmission and I certainly would agree with the notion that they amplify underlying case loads, but I don't think they generate exponential growth in of themselves. 

Edited by renton

Just had my first vaccination at the NHS Louisa Jordan. It was really quite impressive to see how they built it up so well, I’m glad it was never needed for people sick with Covid but it’s huge, even for a mass vaccination centre.  
Starting to feel a bit shit now mind. 
Are you sure you weren't in the Hydro?

Did the actual Louisa Jordan Hospital in the SEC not close weeks ago?

1 minute ago, H Wragg said:

Are you sure you weren't in the Hydro?

Did the actual Louisa Jordan Hospital in the SEC not close weeks ago?

I think they are still the same place. Well the letter said it was at the Louisa Jordan and the signs in the Hydro had Louisa Jordon on the walls etc. The cubicles were still there but repurposed for giving injections - no beds or anything now.

Most restrictions already are being ignored.
I was in Paisley today and driving through it + my end destination was almost identical to last time I was there a couple of years ago.
The Government restrictions are simply harming businesses now, nothing more.
What restrictions are still in place in Paisley (or any other L2 town) that you would have noticed driving through ?

Keep reading these sort of posts on SM but there are no restrictions you would notice walking or driving through a town in L2 so it's not exactly proof positive that everyone has chucked it, it's just there are no restrictions that are likely to be visible passing through the place. Shops, pubs, cafes all open, likewise bingo and the likes, people allowed in other folk houses, no travel restrictions, not sure what you were expecting to see people doing that is not permitted ?

I walked through Ayr yesterday and it seemed totally normal, busy with folk going about normal day to day business. Market stall selling Ayrshire tatties queued down the street which was good to see.

5 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

Would you rather he just kept quiet and didn't give us an insight into this shambles of a government?

Cummings is doing a Red Wedding on Boris so that him and Gove can f**k us all in completely new and painful ways. 

There is no element of public duty involved here. 

11 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

What restrictions are still in place in Paisley (or any other L2 town) that you would have noticed driving through ?

Keep reading these sort of posts on SM but there are no restrictions you would notice walking or driving through a town in L2 so it's not exactly proof positive that everyone has chucked it, it's just there are no restrictions that are likely to be visible passing through the place. Shops, pubs, cafes all open, likewise bingo and the likes, people allowed in other folk houses, no travel restrictions, not sure what you were expecting to see people doing that is not permitted ?

I walked through Ayr yesterday and it seemed totally normal, busy with folk going about normal day to day business. Market stall selling Ayrshire tatties queued down the street which was good to see.

Ayr high street busy? Holy hell that's a first. The place was a ghost town even before covid. Full of junkies and empty shops. Glad to hear it was busy tbh

Why is this.
If no alternative is available then AZ was to be administered to all age groups.
That was JVCI advice.
Are the Vaccinators following protocol ?
Initially they were giving people the option to have AZ or reschedule for an appointment for Pfizer, then they changed and all under 40s were getting their details taken and appointments rescheduled so I can only assume that this was a decision made by the powers that be rather than the lead vaccinators in the centre deciding that's what they were gonna do.