Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Would you rather he just kept quiet and didn't give us an insight into this shambles of a government?
I'd rather he wasnt such a shitebag hiding it all and actively participating whilst he was in the government

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

If eradication is the PERMANENT reduction of the virus, and elimination is the reduction of the virus, what exactly are the differences here? One means permanently removed and the other means you get rid of it as much as possible.

Think it might be time to improve my forum experience tbh, this VT-lite act doesn't cut it for me. 

Words have different meanings in different contexts and industries. There is a clear distinction in epidemiology between elimination and eradication, yet folk on here keep calling them the same thing because the Oxford dictionary said so. "Common sense use" lol. 

Err, it's really quite simple.

For eradication, see smallpox: there are no cases of this virus anywhere worldwide, save for in laboratories.

For elimination, see polio and measles: effectively gone from the developed world thanks to vaccines which provide sterilising immunity, but pockets still crop up in third world countries.

Not 'eliminated' or 'eradicated': Covid-19 and influenza. These are endemic, i.e. they will continue to circulate around the globe in perpetuity.

Happy to help.

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

That can't be right. We've been told multiple times that the schools are safe! 

In all seriousness, the kids getting covid is the acid test for the vaccines. They take their covid home and if their parents (most won't be double jabbed) and grandparents don't end up getting it, hopefully we can all start worrying less. The evidence so far says that the vaccines work and if it's not being passed around households in great numbers I don't see how you can deny how effective the vaccines are. 

Worth noting that the Schools went back in February, there was a small hump in cases in those age groups before falling off through April and into May. If schools alone were enough to significantly drive infection rates, we would have seen it then.

However, not much else was open back then, now that much more is operating the increased mixing is driving case loads up more dramatically in unvaccinated groups. Had to be expected, and shouldn't be a concern as kids are less susceptible by some margin (about 50% in some of the literature) and less prone to serious illness. 

So long as the link to hospitalisation is broken, case loads shouldn't matter.

59 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/nicola-sturgeon-announce-level-0-20683208

The First Minister will set out in June how the country will look when the lockdown levels system is scrapped.”

FML - What is even to consider?  Once emergency legislation is binned everything goes back as was. Sneaking in any changes long term to everyday life in the guise of safety and compassion is a piss take.

We'll probably fanny about with certificates for mass gatherings before, like Israel and Denmark, realising they're fucking pointless anyway before quietly bining them. It will maybe settle the nerves of the Lovejoy's at first to get them integrated back into social settings.

Worth noting that the Schools went back in February, there was a small hump in cases in those age groups before falling off through April and into May. If schools alone were enough to significantly drive infection rates, we would have seen it then.
However, not much else was open back then, now that much more is operating the increased mixing is driving case loads up more dramatically in unvaccinated groups. Had to be expected, and shouldn't be a concern as kids are less susceptible by some margin (about 50% in some of the literature) and less prone to serious illness. 
So long as the link to hospitalisation is broken, case loads shouldn't matter.
Going forward there's going to need to be something done about the rules on who gets tested and self isolation, otherwise we'll end up with half the country being told to sit in the house when there's nothing much wrong with them.

That can't be right. We've been told multiple times that the schools are safe! 
In all seriousness, the kids getting covid is the acid test for the vaccines. They take their covid home and if their parents (most won't be double jabbed) and grandparents don't end up getting it, hopefully we can all start worrying less. The evidence so far says that the vaccines work and if it's not being passed around households in great numbers I don't see how you can deny how effective the vaccines are. 
And in that scenario schools are "safe" despite them having Covid outbreaks locally.

3 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

going by some of what he's said, you wouldn't fancy this government to competently order or manage his assassination anyway. he'l be fine, sadly

If I was former NZ rugby player Sid Going, I'd be pretty worried tbh

1 hour ago, renton said:

What things have been reopened that explain why children are now playing the driving role in driving up case rates? They're not in the fucking pub for a start. 

This is almost as ludicrous as your previous claim that because schools were open on the Western Isles they couldn't possibly be contributing to cases in Glasgow. 

Again, I have to ask. Why are these numbers "poor"?
I think they look fine. There are only a few areas going up and there appears to be no cause for alarm anywhere.
There are no meaningful rises in either hospitalisations or deaths as a result of any of it.
This all looks good and a very long way from being "poor".
They are poor in the context that they are proportionately massive compared to the rest of the UK. Why that is the case needs at least asked. Yes cases are irrelevant if hospitalization and death dont rise but sustained increases in cases will eventually lead to increases in those measures if they continue to rise day on day over a prolonged time.

10 minutes ago, virginton said:

What things have been reopened that explain why children are now playing the driving role in driving up case rates? They're not in the fucking pub for a start. 

This is almost as ludicrous as your previous claim that because schools were open on the Western Isles they couldn't possibly be contributing to cases in Glasgow. 

The small scale studies done previously showed predominantly adult to child infection. The "infection factories" were open for a good two months without driving case loads up, indeed they continued to fall. What changed?

Now with non essential retail, hospitality and indoor mixing allowed cases in non vaccinated groups are rising. Kids are getting it but it seems like adults in unvaccinated groups are likely, but not always passing it into kids. Obviously there is still some kid to kid and kid to adult infections but we had two months of thousands of kids in urban and rural areas, locked in classrooms 8 hours a day and no consumerate rise in infections, yet society opens up and then there is a rise in all unvaccinated groups.

Not even sure what the second paragraph is about.

2 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

That's me Pfizered oot my wee tits. Got a call about half an hour ago asking if I fancied it. The quine said "oh, you came really quickly" when I went down. I had to hold my tongue not to tell her I'd heard that many a time.

Hopefully this was done in a private room at the Palace.

4 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

546 new cases of COVID-19 reported

28,674 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results

2.1% of these were positive

0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive

6 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (unchanged)

98 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (97 yesterday)

3,155,733 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 1,913,809 have received their second dose

28,000 tests? Holy fck when do we stop with this madness of testing people? Covid has clearly had its day. How long do we spunk money on telling people with no symptoms that they're "negative" and telling people with a wee cough that they need to rest for a week or so. It needs binned 

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
45 minutes ago, oaksoft said:
Again, I have to ask. Why are these numbers "poor"?
I think they look fine. There are only a few areas going up and there appears to be no cause for alarm anywhere.
There are no meaningful rises in either hospitalisations or deaths as a result of any of it.
This all looks good and a very long way from being "poor".

They are poor in the context that they are proportionately massive compared to the rest of the UK. Why that is the case needs at least asked. Yes cases are irrelevant if hospitalization and death dont rise but sustained increases in cases will eventually lead to increases in those measures if they continue to rise day on day over a prolonged time.

When you compare it to the Taff data, it is clear just how much their vaccine strategy is paying dividends. It looks like they're approaching Israeli levels of crushing the virus. Note: both these places have the 'Indian variant'.

That said, I don't really think there needs to be a mass pissing of beds over an expected rise in case numbers as society opens, particularly given there will be more indoor mixing than average for the time of year given we have had the most tragic May weather on record. Again, the link between cases, hospitalisations, and deaths, is being broken.

4 hours ago, ahemps said:

I wouldn't be that against this and question why so many are absolutely against it. I heard in Denmark if you can show a negative test within 3 days of an event then you can go and they have absolutely no issue with that. If that started the ball rolling to get people to attend events I would be fine with that rather than the alternative being no spectators anywhere. If I had an option today to take a test 3 days before the Hampden Euros game and get to go or have limited or no fans attend then it's an easy decision for me.

If you go to something weekly then get the home kits, it takes minutes to do. And I am sure as time rolls on and these events are proven not to be the sources of outbreak the procedures will start to be relaxed.

When have we ever needed to prove our health to go to the fitba before? Covid passports would maybe have needed to be a thing if they were allowing fans in from Apr last year until about Feb this year. Anyone at any risk from covid has long been vaccinated. 

Testing 3 days before an event is absolute bat shit crazy. You could pop into Asda after your test and get covid straight after it. Yet according to a test you're fine. 

Cant believe folk have bought into this dystopian nonsense

28,000 tests? Holy fck when do we stop with this madness of testing people? Covid has clearly had its day. How long do we spunk money on telling people with no symptoms that they're "negative" and telling people with a wee cough that they need to rest for a week or so. It needs binned 
In general no one is forcing people to be tested, the vast majority are voluntary. The queues at the asymptomatic test sites are testament to demand. I'm not sure I've seen any experts saying we should be stopping testing, that's a bit of a Trump stance !

No testing, no cases, no Covid is basically sticking your head in the sand. We are learning to live with it as an endemic virus, not just declaring it no longer exists !

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/nicola-sturgeon-announce-level-0-20683208
“The First Minister will set out in June how the country will look when the lockdown levels system is scrapped.”

FML - What is even to consider?  Once emergency legislation is binned everything goes back as was. Sneaking in any changes long term to everyday life in the guise of safety and compassion is a piss take.

It’s shite like this that gives me the fear