Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

Are we just pretending this wasn't something she was regularly trumpeting from summer last year until early spring this year? Or are we redefining what 'elimination' and/or 'Zero Covid' actually means again - a bit like Devi Sridhar?

It summarises what she was pressed about in yesterday's briefing - where she quite clearly climbed down from this position, short of actually admitting 'yes, we have abandoned elimination as our strategy'.

So have we 'eliminated' Covid-19 now, have we? Since cases are at 'very low levels'... as we conveniently head into northern hemisphere summer? This is revisionist nonsense. You can 'eliminate' viruses like polio and measles for which there are sterilising vaccines - you quite clearly cannot 'eliminate' Covid-19 in the same way you cannot 'eliminate' influenza, short of massive worldwide NPI's and restrictions on movement. Case numbers will rise when these are released, more so in winter months, but be inconsequential. The hospitalisations and deaths that follow will now be within healthcare capacity thanks to the (non-sterilising) vaccines breaking this link.

It's not my fault that you're a complete moron that doesn't understand these terms. As has been pointed out numerous times, "Zero Covid" doesn't mean absolutely no covid. If you think that calling it Zero Covid is stupid that's fair enough, but "Elimination" means getting cases down as low as possible in epidemiology, "Eradication" means the permanent removal of the virus, which is what you keep suggesting was the strategy.

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

Amusing though it is that everyone that maligned Cummings is now hanging onto his every word, I suspect that much of what he's saying is entirely correct. There's been no discernable change in approach from No.10 since Cummings left and it appears that much of the ire aimed at him was misplaced. 

Oh, Cummings is a cúnt, no doubt about it, The rest of them are, as well. The thing here is that Cummings has kept the receipts, so he could finish multiple careers here.*

*in a normal country, he could bring down the Government. Unfortunately,  flags, statues, immigrants....

Just now, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Oh, Cummings is a cúnt, no doubt about it, The rest of them are, as well. The thing here is that Cummings has kept the receipts, so he could finish multiple careers here.*

*in a normal country, he could bring down the Government. Unfortunately,  flags, statues, immigrants....

He's lobbed multiple hand grenades in and exposed the jolly boys club probably in a way that's never been done before.

When you employ a w****r like Cummings you have to expect that when it goes south he'll turn on you as he has nothing politically to lose.

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

Are we just forgetting that Cummings is a snake, and also the fact the Scottish Government were going along hand in glove with the UK Government at this point?

Absolutely not. What he is, though, is a snake with records. 

Under 40s were turned away from a vaccination centre down here at the weekend due to failure in supply of alternative vaccines to AZ.
Same in Dundee. Details were taken to reschedule appointments for them to get Pfizer so I'm assuming that will slow things down a bit.

47 minutes ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

I don't know what to make of this. Is Cummings: a disgruntled ex-employee; a heroic maverick speaking truth to power; a Kremlin asset; or a reincarnation of Loki? Maybe he's all of the above.

I'm going with a bit of 1 and a lot of 3. Served his purpose in terms of getting Brexit over the line, now onto whatever the next part of his brief from Russia is.

30 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Only possible if you have the numbers in Parliament (no) or that those involved have some sense of shame. 

Also no, sadly. 

Just now, Michael W said:

Only possible if you have the numbers in Parliament (no) or that those involved have some sense of shame. 

Also no, sadly. 

Part of the problem with modern politics.  Hancock should be a dead man walking and it seems like no-one can understand how he's still in post.  When asked explicitly why the PM didn't fire him Cummings didn't have an answer.  Hancock/Johnson et al resigning was never on the cards because as you say there is no sense of shame these days.

I've seen people keep idiots in post in my working environment and the only reason I can ever see is those in charge want yes men who will be no threat to their position.

43 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's not my fault that you're a complete moron that doesn't understand these terms. As has been pointed out numerous times, "Zero Covid" doesn't mean absolutely no covid. If you think that calling it Zero Covid is stupid that's fair enough, but "Elimination" means getting cases down as low as possible in epidemiology, "Eradication" means the permanent removal of the virus, which is what you keep suggesting was the strategy.

Only a couple of months ago, she was saying we need to attempt to eliminate Covid from Scotland and the vaccines would do more of the heavy lifting as time goes on. Yesterday she suggested such a policy might be binned and Covid would be allowed to circulate as long as ICU admissions remain low. Quite a difference imo.

This idea needs to GTF. Full stadiums should be allowed without the caveat of being tested beforehand or a vaccine passport. There is literally no need to jump through hoops to attend an event that it OUTDOORS when the elderly/vulnerable have been vaccinated. When even Israel are ditching the vaccine passport yet the UK is wanting them introduced you know you’re fcked. 

05281CF7-2B8E-4CB1-B60E-146D860931F8.jpeg

4 minutes ago, KingswellsRed said:

Only a couple of months ago, she was saying we need to attempt to eliminate Covid from Scotland and the vaccines would do more of the heavy lifting as time goes on. Yesterday she suggested such a policy might be binned and Covid would be allowed to circulate as long as ICU admissions remain low. Quite a difference imo.

Elimination means getting the cases as low as possible, which we've done, and now that the vaccines are keeping hospital admissions down there is no need for large scale restrictions. I haven't seen her full speech so if she specifically said she's changing strategy then fair enough, but none of the quotes I've seen so far suggest a change in strategy to me, simply we are progressing through the elimination strategy. 

1 hour ago, Aidan said:
1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
Under 40s were turned away from a vaccination centre down here at the weekend due to failure in supply of alternative vaccines to AZ.

Same in Dundee. Details were taken to reschedule appointments for them to get Pfizer so I'm assuming that will slow things down a bit.

Why is this.

If no alternative is available then AZ was to be administered to all age groups.

That was JVCI advice.

Are the Vaccinators following protocol ?

546 new cases of COVID-19 reported

28,674 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results

2.1% of these were positive

0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive

6 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (unchanged)

98 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (97 yesterday)

3,155,733 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 1,913,809 have received their second dose

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

546 new cases of COVID-19 reported
28,674 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results
2.1% of these were positive
0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive
6 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (unchanged)
98 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (97 yesterday)
3,155,733 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 1,913,809 have received their second dose
WTF is going on up here with gigs like this. That's equivalent to a UK figure of about 6000+ and we are seeing nothing near that outwith Scotland ???