Coronavirus (COVID-19)

27 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

By "full crowds" I obviously mean no limits to the attendance number, I'm not expecting Dumbarton vs Kilmarnock to be a sell out capacity crowd in the League Cup but I'm sure you were aware that's what was meant. Tone changes quickly with this stuff, they might be saying crowds are unlikely right now but when everyone is vaccinated and folk realise normal life can return the tone will quickly change to allow crowds back in full. Leitch has been wrong on a number of things, you of all people are aware of this. You can agree or disagree with the messaging from the SG and that's fair enough but you're at the stage now of sticking the boot into them based on a misleading headline from a Tory twitter account, which is talking about a potential scenario that has not happened yet. 

i would quite like to be able to decide that IF, falkirk are at home & IF the mrs is busy doing something else & therefor won't give me grief  and IF i can be arsed and IF any of my mates are going, i might be able just to make my mind up on the day or night before to go or not,  

I notice NS saying that going forward, we hope to be able to rely on the vaccines, and good health practices from the public gping forward.

I suspect the most critical one of them all would be creating a culture where you dont go to work when you are symptomatic with illness. So perhaps bow is the time to direct this chat squarely at employers. Specifically ones who dont pay their employees if sick, or encourage them to use annual leave when sick...

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I notice NS saying that going forward, we hope to be able to rely on the vaccines, and good health practices from the public gping forward.

I suspect the most critical one of them all would be creating a culture where you dont go to work when you are symptomatic with illness. So perhaps bow is the time to direct this chat squarely at employers. Specifically ones who dont pay their employees if sick, or encourage them to use annual leave when sick...

This would be teckle. Sadly I will carry on and spread whatever I'd have like most supermarket workers. 😞

That's Austria followed Germany and stopped UK citizens entering forecast least 3 weeks. They have gone further and actually banned direct flights arriving from the UK. Talk of Switzerland and Poland possibly doing likewise according to BBC. All down to the Indian variant. I'd be extremely surprised if that variant wasn't already infecting folk in those countries.

Good to see Sturgeon being more positive and starting to actually realise the vaccines mean a swift return to pre-pandemic normality in the months ahead. It reads as if she was also pretty much forced to concede the 'elimination' fantasy has been consigned to the dustbin of history. The only people still believing in it are genuine fringe lunatics, so it will be interesting to see the climbdown of the most fanatical of Lovejoy's and Devi worshippers. To be fair to STV News, their journalists have been pushing to emphasise over the past week or so that the link between case numbers, hospitalisations, and deaths, is now broken.

Francois Balloux really has called this whole thing near bang on ever since March 2020.

10 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

i would quite like to be able to decide that IF, falkirk are at home & IF the mrs is busy doing something else & therefor won't give me grief  and IF i can be arsed and IF any of my mates are going, i might be able just to make my mind up on the day or night before to go or not,  

I agree. If no limits to crowds then there should be no reason for staggered entry/distancing/masks or giving your mothers maiden name to enter the ground. Turn up on the day and pay at the gate.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

This exactly. I still remember about 15 years ago with the flu, heading in to work. The wife had to drive me as I was so ill, sat shivering, did absolutely no work. None. My boss at the time was a monumental bellend and never accepted anything short of hospitalisation as a reason for being off. Just sat at my desk waiting to be picked up, and within a few days everyone else had it too.

Even then, my step-daughter (on another occasion) was  hospitalised. She caught a bacterial infection and ended up in the kids ward. My wife stayed the night with her whilst I was at home with the wee man who was just a couple of months old at the time. Next morning the wife and I had a plan. I would drop the wee man off at nursery and then go to hospital and sit for the day while my wife got some sleep, then at tea time I would pick the wee man up and head home, whilst she took over hospital duties. Good plan with just one snag - the bellend boss. When I phoned him to say what was happening he told me I could either come in to wok or consider resigning. To this day I am ashamed of myself for going into work. I couldn't afford to lose my job and, being young and foolish, didn't even consider HR. The wife stayed at hospital all day.

He now runs a university in Australia and has written articles and received prizes for his commitment to....[drum roll]....work life balance!

I know, I know. Evil bosses thread for this pish. Sorry for the detour.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

That's Austria followed Germany and stopped UK citizens entering forecast least 3 weeks. They have gone further and actually banned direct flights arriving from the UK. Talk of Switzerland and Poland possibly doing likewise according to BBC. All down to the Indian variant. I'd be extremely surprised if that variant wasn't already infecting folk in those countries.

It will be of course, but these populist measures will buy some time for countries on the continent to continue catching up while losing less face. By July it won't matter anymore.

2 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

This would be teckle. Sadly I will carry on and spread whatever I'd have like most supermarket workers. 😞

If anything this shows that there is a need to drastically change things like stat sick pay etc. Im fortunate to be in a job where I can get up to a year off on full sickness pay and a further 6 mths half pay plus ssp, i cant imagine how stressful illness must be on top of the actual sickness must be for people in your position. Surely the best investment we can make in Scotland is to ensure that as well as improving health care we stop punishing people for having the audacity to be ill and stop incentivising people soldiering on when they should be off. 

Just now, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

If anything this shows that there is a need to drastically change things like stat sick pay etc. Im fortunate to be in a job where I can get up to a year off on full sickness pay and a further 6 mths half pay plus ssp, i cant imagine how stressful illness must be on top of the actual sickness must be for people in your position. Surely the best investment we can make in Scotland is to ensure that as well as improving health care we stop punishing people for having the audacity to be ill and stop incentivising people soldiering on when they should be off. 

My company is an English company. They don't give a f**k. 

This has been like this for 16 years ( 16 years fucking hell ) since I've worked there and that won't change anytime soon. So as shopper's you will just come into what illness/ sickness we have, which has happened throughout the pandemic anyway so makes no difference.

We carry on like normal 

Where i work, if you're off, someone on their rest  day off has to come out and cover you. They get paid for it obviously but to call in sick especially at short notice, on nights, at  the weekends or on public holidays is always treated as suspicious until proven otherwise 

Yes to all of the above. I have at least once already given the story of an old boss of mine who wouldn't even let me work from home while sick a couple of years ago. Sick days limited unless you want disciplinary action so off to work you go to spread it to the whole floor. 

A reminder of how important international travel and tourism is to the UK and Scottish economies: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57230018

UK tourism is set for a slow recovery from the pandemic, with spending by holidaymakers this year expected to be just half the level of 2019.

Forecasts by the VisitBritain agency indicate that domestic tourism will be worth £51.4bn in 2021, down from £91.6bn two years ago.

Its forecast for spending by foreign tourists in the UK is £6.2bn, less than a quarter of the £28.4bn in 2019.

Text/email from the vaccine appointments scheme finds nothing on the system, says they'll investigate and then arrange a new appointment. How will this appointment be communicated efficiently? 'By post' of course. 

Enough with this blue envelope pish FFS.