Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The thing with hospital numbers is no one has ever actually come out and said what an "acceptable" number of covid patients would be.

It's easy to see the increases in the last couple of weeks and panic a wee. I would like to think that the government / NHS have a ballpark figure that they think is manageable but without anyone knowing what that is its difficult to tell what the current numbers actually mean.

Basically I'm not worrying too much at the moment. Batter on with getting as many folk jagged as possible as that's the best thing we can do.

17 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Anyone else struggling to reschedule an appointment? I can't make mine but nowhere in Tayside has appointments despite me checking all of May, June and July.

Wife is in same boat and has been checking every day for 2 weeks for slots to open up.

Thinking about just heading down at 5pm one day and begging for leftovers 

I had no problem rescheduling appointment although I'm iGrampian region. My 2nd vaccine appointment was going to be in Peterhead which wasn't ideal with work so changed it back to Aberdeen TEQA although 13 days later. 

Edited by betting competition

Hospital cases rising obviously isn't what we want, but I'm struggling to see how it's going to knock us well off track when the vaccination numbers are 3,121,945 for first doses and 1,852,179 for second doses. We can't be far off every adult having their first dose, which should offer adequate protection for most people against serious illness or death. The cases may rise but I doubt they'll rise to a level that requires more restrictions. 

Suspect if there was a beer voucher free with every vaccine the percentage turning up in Glasgow would be a tad higher than 50%.

Either that or get the Bears Group to organise Vaccine appointments.  

9 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

We’re in Fife and likewise my wife struggled to find an alternative appointment. Sorted by a 2 minute phone call to health board contact number.

Phoned them every hour for 2 days (I get a bit agitated when I have a task to complete and cant) and you can't even get through to anyone. Says they are busy and cuts you off.

Next step is phoning MSP.

I wouldn't mind if it was genuinely stowed out and we just had to wait our turn but I know for a fact they aren't.

I believe they are away to move towards walk ins for at least part of the week which is a step forward. Apparently less than 50% of the under 40 cohort have up to date GP details and at the moment there is a team manually checking returned envelopes and texting/phoning people.

For the younger age group they need to just allow walk ins.

I know it sounds ridiculous but they should have thought about incentivising it too. In the same way you get your freshers pack at uni some sort of free pizza, money off drinks etc 

Too late now but this should surely have been anticipated. 

Edited by invergowrie arab

Just now, invergowrie arab said:

Phoned them every hour for 2 days (I get a bit agitated when I have a task to complete and cant) and you can't even get through to anyone. Says they are busy and cuts you off.

Next step is phoning MSP.

I wouldn't mind if it was genuinely stowed out and we just had to wait our turn but I know for a fact they aren't.

I believe they are away to move towards walk ins for at least part of the week which is a step forward. Apparently less than 50% of the under 40 cohort have up to date GP details and at the moment there is a team manually checking returned envelopes and texting/phoning people.

For the younger age group they need to just allow walk ins.

Not trying to be awkward but why cant you make your appointment ?    I have heard if you cannot make your time say 10am, and you at least rock up the same day then all is forgiven.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Hospital cases rising obviously isn't what we want, but I'm struggling to see how it's going to knock us well off track when the vaccination numbers are 3,121,945 for first doses and 1,852,179 for second doses. We can't be far off every adult having their first dose, which should offer adequate protection for most people against serious illness or death. The cases may rise but I doubt they'll rise to a level that requires more restrictions. 

Still a fair way off.  About 4.5m adults in Scotland.  The vulnerable are done though.

The hospital numbers thing, for now at least shouldn't be read too deeply into.

There have been a couple of jumps of 8-13 folk in the last few weeks which have corrected themselves within a day or two. This might be the same thing again.

5 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Not trying to be awkward but why cant you make your appointment ?    I have heard if you cannot make your time say 10am, and you at least rock up the same day then all is forgiven.

My wife's she was told on the Friday her appointment was on the Tuesday and we left for a week away in Plockton the Saturday.

For me I'm interviewing for new staff members and for me to make my appointment means rescheduling interviews for 3 people.

If it comes down to it I'll get someone else to do the interviews but I'm just annoyed the system is shit. Or, if you think it's doable. I'll just go down in the afternoon... ill say you said it was fine.

Edited by invergowrie arab

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Still a fair way off.  About 4.5m adults in Scotland.  The vulnerable are done though.

If we vaccinate 40K a day then we'll have the remaining 1.4m adults first jabbed in the next 35 days. No idea what numbers we're vaccinating just now but it shouldn't be too much longer than 4-6 weeks before every adult has some form of protection. 

Good point. My mate is a St Johnstone fan and his appointment was scheduled for during the cup final on Saturday. Pitched up a couple of hours early and taken straight away.

Regarding getting a vaccination, did anyone use that website to check for the appointment, not be found on the system and then subsequently get an appointment made?

I'm 37, and have no appointment- my wife gets her's on Thursday and a number of my friends are getting theirs in the next few days. I used the site to check for an appointment and got a text saying it couldn't find one and a team would investigate, and the outcome of that would be a letter. Not heard anything as yet.

I guess it's probably to do with not having an up to date GP. Last time I used one was in 2003 which was still in Kirkcaldy just after I moved out to Edinburgh for Uni.

Regarding getting a vaccination, did anyone use that website to check for the appointment, not be found on the system and then subsequently get an appointment made?
I'm 37, and have no appointment- my wife gets her's on Thursday and a number of my friends are getting theirs in the next few days. I used the site to check for an appointment and got a text saying it couldn't find one and a team would investigate, and the outcome of that would be a letter. Not heard anything as yet.
I guess it's probably to do with not having an up to date GP. Last time I used one was in 2003 which was still in Kirkcaldy just after I moved out to Edinburgh for Uni.
I did it last week and it told me to wait my turn. Did it again yesterday and got an appointment

10 minutes ago, renton said:

Guy in my work hadn't registered with a GP since 1998. It amazes me that folk can go 20 odd years without the need for seeing a doctor. 

Am I right in thinking that ~half the folk in hospital are in the Glasgow area? If so then there should be no need to much about with the other council areas. They will, of course, as they can't help themselves. But they shouldn't.