Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Surely the per 100,000 rate removes the size of the population from the equation?

I had the radio on my way back from work and she said the East Ren cases are more concentrated in clusters which is less of a worry than Glasgow where it's more spread out. That may be true or she might have a jacuzzi party in Whitecraigs to go to later on.....

Having been waiting since the weekend for a text to tell me to rebook my 2nd jab, I finally rang 119 to see what was going on to be told "yeah, just do it online".
Will now be fully AZed on Monday 24th rather than waiting till 3rd June. [emoji106]

2 minutes ago, Elixir said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-57181038

Some places sure are going to have quite some difficulty opening up...

On Off the Ball today, Jason Leitch explains why Australian vaccine hesitancy unfortunately means fans of Montrose FC will have to wait a little bit longer to get back on the terraces but with a fair wind, we could see up to 100 spectators at a socially distanced Up Helly Aa.

3 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

This screams "woke pish" to me 🤣

Im not bothered about what we call variants, im just slightly more concerned that this is what the scottish government are spending time on. Using place names for viruses seems to be the naming convention but if people want to change it then fair enough. 
The term indian variant doesnt make me think any less of indian people (theyre as much victims of their far right government being terrible as we are in the UK) and anyone who does blame a particular sub set or ethnicity or whatever for a genetic variance in a virus that’s not anyone’s fault should probably re-evaluate their lives. 
It kind of reminds me though of the thick of it, especially the latter series with the lib dems in coalition etc and all the little things that bogges them down. I genuinely fail to see how changing the name will either catch on or improve anything for anyone and I’d rather they focused their time on explaining why we are in the level of restrictions that we are with no clear exit plan or justification given the lack of strain on the NHS. 

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I get that, I was just explaining why the metric of "cases per 100,000" is susceptible to fluctuations.

What I reckon has happened her is that Moray were going to be used as sacrificial lambs to be chucked in Level 3 for a week purely to make the point of "you can still go up the levels", then the rates in Glasgow surged and they were somewhat stuck between a rock and a hard place given that they couldn't possibly justify moving Moray to Level 3 while keeping Glasgow in Level 2. Now they're trying to backslide out of it by avoiding bumping anyone else up even if they should in theory be in Level 3 based on the daft criteria they have in place.

My prediction is that the only way another area moves up to Level 3 is if their numbers are absolutely through the roof for a long period.

Yep, the real explanation I think is close to that: the SG is much more resistant to putting LA areas back up tiers, whereas telling places to hold off opening up for now was an easier sell. Unfortunately for them - but fortunately for the sane majority - this has driven a steamroller through their months of data not dates!!!!111!!! posturing. You hate to see it happen.

It's completely ridiculous to be using Glasgow City and Clackmannanshire as equal units in terms of restrictions in the first place, as indeed is their per 100,000 people metric which was chosen to try and frighten as many people as possible into following the rules. 

Getting the sense that their messaging is going to be largely autofiled in the bin where it belongs from here. 

Edited by vikingTON

Spain will allow British holidaymakers into the country without the need to provide a negative Covid test from 24 May.

In a move aimed at restarting the country’s battered tourist industry, the Spanish government has announced that visitors from the UK will be free to enter Spain “without restrictions and without health requirements”. The same applies to visitors from Japan. All arrivals are still required to fill out a health form.

As predicted by those who kenned the score all along, and another devastating blow to the lockdown fanatics with their self-righteous cottage break already booked for pishing Llandudno in August. 

5b6d5410-c8cd-4376-80d3-465b75fe7a95.jpg.ef241739512ae2c690b2e062ac7727c5.jpg

Genuinely don't think my liver is going to be able to handle the disgusting quantities of bev that will be consumed on foreign shores later this summer. 

Is there an alcohol-related liver disease vaccine?

heh.png

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

This is one of the promotions from the Sacramento Rivercats. Come to a ball game, get vaccinated for f**k all and then get a free beer and hot dog. Meanwhile in Scotland its ‘the sky is falling, close everything’. 

All for that - I just want to know what the hell a rivercat is.