Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Hahha b*****d i had that coming.

In other news, James Harden improving vaccine uptake by providing 50% off NBA playoff tickets for vaccinated fans. In a similar move the Scottish Government is paying the full price ticket of every single fan attending the Scottish Cup Final this weekend. 

This shouldn’t be funny but had me chuckling.

Watching Reporting Scotland, it’s almost as if the BBC have been briefed off the record that East Renfrewshire is off to level 3 tomorrow.

The report kept emphasising how it was higher than Glasgow and how Glasgow people would see it as unfair. 

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

'I make no apologies for wanting to keep people safe'

Yes that fine Nicola, but what about the lives being ruined/business going under caused by what seems like never ending restrictions?  Can you and your government apologise for that?

Correct. The only tool that should be used to 'keep people safe' is to stick a highly effective vaccine in them at the earliest possible date. They've got one fucking job to do here and can't get on with it. 

Keeping people safe is a rhetoric I am beginning to have a bit of an issue with.

Who is currently being kept safe by measures? The vulnerable are vaccinated. The young by and large are not but will be, which is because they are at minimal risk from the virus in the first place.

Older and vulnerable people who choose not be vaccinated are no ones responsibility except themselves.

I mean really.... Who is a threat to who now? Am I more of a threat to vaccinated person than they are to me?

When you really think about it, who are we doing this for?

Its not about keeping anyone safe anymore as the effect of vaccine leaves masks and arbitrary distances in its wake, so one can only assume retention of these measures is on a "lets just wait and see" basis. Which clearly, is shit.

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

'I make no apologies for wanting to keep people safe'

Yes that fine Nicola, but what about the lives being ruined/business going under caused by what seems like never ending restrictions?  Can you and your government apologise for that?

She has and still is doing more damage than the virus. 

They're doing considerably more harm than good, a hospitality sector in its knees, aviation sector gubbed, peoples mental health fucked - not surprising when they cannot actually do anything to enjoy themselves, NHS servives miles behind where they should be.
The most vulnerable in society jagged, I'm sorry but those who don't wish to be jagged then that's their right but also their lookout.  We shouldn't all be held back because ex amount don't want to be vaccinated.
The I won't apoloigise for keeping everyone safe is patronising bullshit because she is shit scared to actually lead and open things up,  hiding behind rising rates despite increased testing is false.  Utter drivel yet again from the keeping us all safe we just dont know brigage. 

Which comes nicely back to.... These are EMERGENCY laws being used here.

Is there any metric whatsoever, that could be described as an emergency at this moment?

26 minutes ago, The Master said:

Watching Reporting Scotland, it’s almost as if the BBC have been briefed off the record that East Renfrewshire is off to level 3 tomorrow.

The report kept emphasising how it was higher than Glasgow and how Glasgow people would see it as unfair. 

Even if they haven't been briefed, given what's happened in Glasgow and Moray when they got over the levels threshold I can't see the government having a change of heart. 

I guess the given answer to "who are we keeping safe?" would be those who are still going in to hospital. It would be a wasted question to ask as it would be easily swatted away.

The question is not "who are we keeping safe?" but more "to what extent is it the job of the government to keep the population safe?"

The Government have overseen a vaccination roll out which (so far) has seen 69.0% of the Scottish adult population vaccinated with at least 1 dose, and 31.9% (including practically the entirity of JCVI groups 1-9) with 2 doses.

They have done all that can reasonably be expected of them. It's time for the bedwetters and Lovejoys of the world to stop expecting the SG to wrap them in cotton wool forever, and for the SG to get on with the recovery phase, starting with letting people get on with their lives as they choose.

Edited by Todd_is_God

I guess the given answer to "who are we keeping safe?" would be those who are still going in to hospital. It would be a wasted question to ask as it would be easily swatted away.
The question is not "who are we keeping safe?" but more "to what extent is it the job of the government to keep the population safe?"
The Government have overseen a vaccination roll out which (so far) has seen 69.0% of the Scottish adult population vaccinated with at least 1 dose, and 31.9% (including practically the entirity of JCVI groups 1-9) with 2 doses.
They have done all that can reasonably be expected of them. It's time for the bedwetters and Lovejoys of the world to stop expecting the SG to wrap them in cotton wool forever, and for the SG to get on with the recovery phase, starting with letting people get on with their lives as they choose.
People will never stop going into hospital with covid. Its here to stay, so I dont think that would be an acceptable answer.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
12 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

People will never stop going into hospital with covid. Its here to stay, so I dont think that would be an acceptable answer.

It’s one that will be lapped up by the apologists though.

22 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
27 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I wasn't saying it was. But it's an open goal for the "any is too many" brigade to point at and say "look! 😭😭😭"

And one which, as @Left Back said, would go completely unchallenged by the media etc.

Edited by Todd_is_God

15 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I suppose they needed something after their Indian variant amounted to f**k all.

Good job we are preventing travel to keep new variants out. We can ditch that nonsense then...

However

This “Yorkshire variant” carries three mutations associated with other variants of concern: E484K, which is also found in the South African variant and can in theory lessen the effect of vaccines; N439K which is also associated with immune escape; and P681H, which is in the Kent variant and linked to greater transmissibility.

Why should we be concerned by a strain which contains mutations that the vaccines handle in their sleep? Enough of this bullshit.

Edited by Todd_is_God