Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

I see the Lorne Hotel on Sauchiehall Street has gone into administration with the loss of 30 jobs.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/19314568.renowned-glasgow-hotel-collapses-administration/

Never stayed there myself, but passed it a lot on the way to and from the west end into the city center on my weekends in Glasgow a few years ago.

If restrictions last any longer I cant see how any of the hospitality businesses can really survive, it would just seem too long and the build up of too much debt for all but a handful

After my jag yesterday, I spent an enjoyable hour on the bog last night losing about 2 yards of small intestine. I felt like I'd spent the night in jail with Big Bubba and his five mates.

This morning, arm a wee bit sore. 

Not too bad overall.

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Was due to have my 1st jag on Sunday. Now self isolating due to being a close contact.

I’m not suggesting the mad 55yo antivaxxer in the office has fucked it for the rest of us, but he does live in Pollokshields and the 4 other people in the meeting with him on Monday also have to isolate...

Our place floated an idea that, if someone tested positive through not following rules on SD and sanitising, then they would not only be unpaid for their absence, but would be liable for the time lost by any T&T contacts forced to isolate. Unions obviously kicked that one straight out, but I would suggest it's an appropriate sanction for this fella. By all means refuse the vaccine - just keep yourself away from any possible collateral victims of your moral/scientific/tinfoil reasoning. 

8 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Many of the small family run businesses have already gone and others are sinking unlikely to be around when our vistors/tourists return. Only the chains will recover with speed as with less local competition they will take all the business.

In the Lorne's case the lockdown was the inevitable tipping point, they would have gone bust anyway.

deosnt bare thinking about, its been bad enough as it is over last few years with the big chains making cities throughout europe and uk more and more similar

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Furlough payments appear to be keeping the deluge at bay for now.

No idea what the fallout from all of this is going to be but wouldn't be surprised if it is substantial because I just can't see how these businesses can possibly survive.

I'm not sure how all of our football clubs have survived without crowds for example when we know that even with crowds many were breaking even or making a loss. It's baffling to be honest. Maybe someone else has a better idea about what's going on than me.

yeah for football too it feels same, hard to see how so many who were struggling can survive in long term when the debts are amounting faster than ever with no sign of crowds coming back in any numbers or consistently yet

Edited by BigDoddyKane

I see the Lorne Hotel on Sauchiehall Street has gone into administration with the loss of 30 jobs.
https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/19314568.renowned-glasgow-hotel-collapses-administration/
Never stayed there myself, but passed it a lot on the way to and from the west end into the city center on my weekends in Glasgow a few years ago.
That's a slice of bad luck.

The testing requirements for entry are available on the following news story, since Emily Thornbury thinks our borders are like a sieve and I'm sure P&B favourite Devi will say exactly the same tonight on national TV. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57183259

Even on the green list you need a predeparture test and a follow up PCR no later than 2 days after arrival in the UK. And you'll need a negative PCR to leave. 

If you're vaccinated, which is what EU countries are starting to ask for, why are we demanding two tests for green list countries? And you'll need a negative PCR to leave the UK initially as well. 

Oh yes, I forgot:

53f9i8.jpg.f32b262bba106a642866b08edc09d44b.jpg

The same variants that are as much a threat to the UK as any other country, except those other countries trust the vaccines to deal with them. Remember following the science? Let's just subject people to unnecessary testing and costs because not doing so will lead people to see straight through the  favoured variants line that's being used to justify ongoing restrictions and will be front and centre of any delays. Never mind, then, that we don't have the Icelandic and Albufiera variants in green list countries to worry about. 

Edited by Michael W

Guest Bob Mahelp
39 minutes ago, supermik said:

Brother in law was told he needed triple bypass surgery just before the pandemic started. Operation kept being cancelled. He died on Monday. 😢

That's terrible, and I guarantee that story and thousands like it will be being replicated all over the UK. There are an estimated 50.000 undiagnosed cancer cases out there, and the repercussions from that alone will go on for years. 

It's horrendous how people have been sacrificed on the altar of Covid. Individual NHS staff have been wonderful, but I think the decision making from the top has often been shambolic and misguided.

I hope that when an enquiry does come along, it examines the bigger picture and doesn't just allow the NHS as a whole to be elevated to Sainthood. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Jeez, that's a username from the past. What happened to him? 

He got really into indy posting and became half-radicalised by Wings the last time I interacted with him.

Rico left P&B after spending about ten pages in a Sportscene thread defending Celtic fans booing a minute's silence at a Ross County game, then making a thread in the Platinum forum complaining about trolls, only for Rugster to then share that with the rest of the forum.

It's a shame if we lost another Yes Da though, they're always good fun.