Coronavirus (COVID-19)

11 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I got my jag via the local authority as a carer, so didnt get a letter with a username on it, can you confirm if the username is some kind of combination of your name or an nhs chi number or whatever? Just tried to log in and nothing was working.

This

3 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

This

14 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I got my jag via the local authority as a carer, so didnt get a letter with a username on it, can you confirm if the username is some kind of combination of your name or an nhs chi number or whatever? Just tried to log in and nothing was working.

Concatenation of first name, surname and  a number. Number is not part of your chi.

Edited by mathematics

47 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

This

56 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Try the missing appointment site - https://invitations.vacs.nhs.scot/

The responses I got back had my username in them.

48 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Used that site yesterday to get my appointment for the end of the month. Had to re-arrange as it was for a drive through and luckily managed to get a cancellation appointment only a couple of days later.

Not had my letter yet obviously, how far in advance are they normally sent out? Is it about a week or so?

47 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

This

45 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Concatenation of first name, surname and  a number. Number is not part of your chi.

Appreciate that folks, il try the link above and see what comes back! 

-eta apparently my details cannot be found in the system. Brilliant! Haha. 

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

Increased hospital numbers aren't necessarily a bad thing (so long as the people recover of course) if it transpires that the majority are unvaccinated and of the younger population then that would confirm that the vaccinations worked and that the risk to the general population and indeed the NHS is manageable.

At that point we would have the required evidence that Covid could be managed and that we could learn to live with it, with little to no restrictions remaining so long as booster jags kept it at bay.

The alternative is that we can NEVER return to normal, foreign travel will be forever shelved and the associated Economic fallout is unfathomable as is the adverse effect on the mental health of the nation.

We were told in 2020 that "2021 would be different" but so far the rhetoric hasn't improved and going by the powers that be, 2022 and onward isn't suddenly going to be any better so unless we adjust our outlook to what is "acceptable" then the future looks pretty dire to be honest, so as I say, let's hope that the vaccines provide indisputable evidence that they stop Death and serious illness and our Governments all wake up to the fact that it's potentially the best that they can realistically hope for.....

Still not had my blue letter and according to the Ayrshire & Arran NHS website, there's not anywhere within 12 miles of me doing the vaccines for the rest of May.
Did you not phone the helpline. There is 100% an issue with blue envelopes in Ayrshire for 45-49. Been in the local media quite a bit but phone and they will give you an appointment straight away. As for location my wife is to go to a NA site rather than SA but probably equidistant to Ayr ones.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
32 minutes ago, WATTOO said:
Still not had my blue letter and according to the Ayrshire & Arran NHS website, there's not anywhere within 12 miles of me doing the vaccines for the rest of May.

Did you not phone the helpline. There is 100% an issue with blue envelopes in Ayrshire for 45-49. Been in the local media quite a bit but phone and they will give you an appointment straight away. As for location my wife is to go to a NA site rather than SA but probably equidistant to Ayr ones.

I didn't phone, they had a calendar on the site giving the locations and dates of the "mass vaccination centres", however all the ones local to me seemed to be over the last week in April and first fortnight of May, where the ones scheduled for the next fortnight are all in the other side of the county from me.

Possibly I should have been picked up over the last 4 weeks but missed out, so Yes, I'll give them a call. cheers.

Increased hospital numbers aren't necessarily a bad thing (so long as the people recover of course) if it transpires that the majority are unvaccinated and of the younger population then that would confirm that the vaccinations worked and that the risk to the general population and indeed the NHS is manageable.
At that point we would have the required evidence that Covid could be managed and that we could learn to live with it, with little to no restrictions remaining so long as booster jags kept it at bay.
The alternative is that we can NEVER return to normal, foreign travel will be forever shelved and the associated Economic fallout is unfathomable as is the adverse effect on the mental health of the nation.
We were told in 2020 that "2021 would be different" but so far the rhetoric hasn't improved and going by the powers that be, 2022 and onward isn't suddenly going to be any better so unless we adjust our outlook to what is "acceptable" then the future looks pretty dire to be honest, so as I say, let's hope that the vaccines provide indisputable evidence that they stop Death and serious illness and our Governments all wake up to the fact that it's potentially the best that they can realistically hope for.....
It's a dunt to the "all younger cohorts will only get a sniffle" train of thought though. Clearly not the case if such a relatively small outbreak in a localised area has lead to 8 in one day being serious enough to need hospital admission especially given this is about as soon after this outbreak began that you would expect to see hospital admissions. That said we need to know if they were admitted with Covid or because of Covid.

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
7 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It's a dunt to the "all younger cohorts will only get a sniffle" train of thought though. Clearly not the case if such a relatively small outbreak in a localised area has lead to 8 in one day being serious enough to need hospital admission especially given this is about as soon after this outbreak began that you would expect to see hospital admissions. That said we need to know if they were admitted with Covid or because of Covid.

Not if they are fatties

6 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

As long as Glasgow, in particular, is in level 3 for no more than a week or two I'd go as far as say it's a positive. 

Sounds harsh but it might focus the minds of those who'd avoided a jag (for whatever reason) or younger folk who might have thought the crisis was over and needn't bother with one.

Jags are the only way out of this. 

1 hour ago, GiGi said:

The increase in hospitalisations is exactly what will keep these restrictions going. 

Just need to hope this week is an anomaly and they start dropping again pronto. 

They really shouldn't keep any restrictions going though. It's 78 people in hospital with covid, not necessarily because of covid. That's absolutely nothing, we've got over 20,000 beds across our hospitals, I doubt a number between 80-100 is putting huge pressure on our services. ICU unchanged at 4 and I can't remember the last time we recorded a death. These are the important things. 

A bit disheartening that the hospital numbers arent dropping further.  Four and a half months after a lockdown was imposed, the numbers appear to be around 2 or 3 times what they were at the start of July last year.
Hopefully just a case of there being more open during this lockdown which meant the virus levels never got as low.  It appears from travelling tabby that the 25-44 group are contributing the most to hospitalisations and cases so they wont be as covered by the vaccine.
You have to remember the people in hospital will be getting treated for other underlying conditions - they just happened to test positive for Covid in the 28 days before admission.

Their admission may have nothing to do with Covid but is counted in the Covid figures.

If hospitalisations jump back into 3 figures I think we can expect to see common sense thrown off this island when it comes to lifting restrictions. 

Obviously I disagree but you can see it far enough with how reactionary this government have been. 

Edited by GiGi

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/19/coronavirus-covid-british-tourists-to-eu-may-have-to-quarantine-even-if-vaccinated

The living definition of clutching at straws here, as the Guardian insists that the likes of Greece and Spain etc. are going to sink their regional economies by choosing to demand that vaccinated people go into quarantine because the UK hasn't put business travellers from Athens on a green list. Complete and utter nonsense. 

British liberals are completely unhinged now in their obsession with restrictions and becoming New Zealand 16 fucking months after the fact. 

First time on a train in months, maybe for the whole of the pandemic. Wearing a mask on a train is vile. Its so hot.

Also, just hear a lassie use the word literally about 7 times. Literally. No need for a single one of them.

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

Not sure if we can really compare hospital numbers to last year as the methodology for counting changed in Scotland in September. Though if we look at England's numbers on travelling tabby, they are just under 800, which they achieved at the start of August and then dropped further to less than 500 by the end of the month. Wales are now at their lowest ever number (35) which they achieved for a few days in September. 

On average 5 people a day die on the UK's roads each year...

Never mind the methodology. In march last year you had to be at deaths door with CoVID to get a COVID test. June onwards, you needed a cough. And now they are basically asking everyone to get a test twice a week. 

Without bearing this mind it's difficult to understand the chart of cases .

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

First time on a train in months, maybe for the whole of the pandemic. Wearing a mask on a train is vile. Its so hot.

Also, just hear a lassie use the word literally about 7 times. Literally. No need for a single one of them.

I was on the train back from London yesterday and it was pretty toasty. The carriage I was in was maybe 10% full so a few folks had their masks off, so I decided to take mines off for a bit too. I’m sure some folks will think I’m a cretin for such behaviour but I didn’t see the harm when I was several rows away from the nearest person. I’m fully vaccinated too, and nobody would’ve had my seat after me as the train was pretty much empty with only 1 stop left. I would’ve behaved differently on a crowded service, though

7 minutes ago, ClathyDave said:

I was on the train back from London yesterday and it was pretty toasty. The carriage I was in was maybe 10% full so a few folks had their masks off, so I decided to take mines off for a bit too. I’m sure some folks will think I’m a cretin for such behaviour but I didn’t see the harm when I was several rows away from the nearest person. I’m fully vaccinated too, and nobody would’ve had my seat after me as the train was pretty much empty with only 1 stop left. I would’ve behaved differently on a crowded service, though

Bunch of adults, at least one fully vaccinated, making their own risk assessment about masks on a near empty train carriage. 

Lock them up.