Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Are they suggesting a national lockdown or localised lockdowns?

If it does come about, I'll be ignoring it as far as I possibly can.
They were referring to the clusters in England at the time. I still suspect it's all part of a "campaign" to get those who have been vaccine hesitant to take it as the UK as a whole appears to be not reaching herd immunity levels as it stands according to the boffins they had on last night.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, mizfit said:
Telegraph is running with a story that the UK Gov is drawing up plans for a full lockdown with businesses being given £18k each.

1) I take it there is a magic money tree

2) why?

3) get fucked

I get having a worst case scenario plan but they literally just acknowledged vaccines worked. This can’t happen again.

The dreaded "circuit breaker" was brought back up by "experts" on Newsnight last night. Seems some sort of short sharp shock is at least being considered again.

I am living in a simulation. This must be the Truman Show but for me? Where are the cameras?

7 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I am living in a simulation. This must be the Truman Show but for me? Where are the cameras?

noo don't be silly, you just need to sit back and watch some of the best TV and movies ever on netflix where you can learn that you don't have to leave home to see the world... whilst your at it have a nice cold tennenets lager 

4 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Middle class luvvies living on furlough!

Speaking of which, today brings us Polly Toynbee's Sermon on the Mount about why we should close off borders because variants. The real reason comes through right at the end though:

The UK is beautiful – I went to Berwick-on-Tweed and Northern Ireland last summer – and I feel no need to fly away now. Labour should take the lead on this, urging citizens to holiday here. That’s a backing-Britain triple win, with less Covid risk, more help for struggling UK hospitality and fewer climate-killing flights.

tenor.gif.816fe438108c66a882e8f3c19218b756.gif

Next week, she will be back to a Why oh Why piece about the ordinary folk of Scumtown-on-Sea binning her beloved political party, without even the slightest regard for the yawning chasm between the fantasist nonsense of middle-class commentators and the priorities of the majority of people. 

It's pished with rain just about the whole of May. In addition to the hilarious prices domestic hospitality thinks it can charge/gouge, it has made me more determined to go abroad. The only deterants for me are that I've not had both doses of vaccine and so arrivals are complicated and also the UK Government's ridiculous attitude towards vaccinated arrivals. 

I will savour my next flight all the moreso whilst I imbibe a vat of Polly Toynbee's tears. 

An absolute given that she'll be fuming about "scum" ruining her camping holiday in the Lake District with lager lout behaviour in a couple months' time as well. 

Edited by Michael W

Guest Bob Mahelp
53 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Is there a similar table showing hospitalisations and deaths ? 

They can absolutely f**k OFF with another national lockdown (or any lockdown).  It'll kill society. 

I have been looking for the ramp up from 12 weeks gap to 8 weeks for 2nd doses for over 50s.

As announced by the UK gov last week and to be a UK wide as recommended by the JCVI

However unless i am going blind the ScotGov have no updated publication or announcement.

Anyone point me to what i am missing.  Why would ScotGov be stalling this important announcement ?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/most-vulnerable-offered-second-dose-of-covid-19-vaccine-earlier-to-help-protect-against-variants

Edited by superbigal

Middle class luvvies living on furlough!

I’d be interested to see a breakdown of furlough by salary and job type. I’d bet it’s the opposite, that lower paid more manual occupations were likelier to be furloughed than higher paid, middle class luvvie jobs. White and blue collar split I bet.

12 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I’d be interested to see a breakdown of furlough by salary and job type. I’d bet it’s the opposite, that lower paid more manual occupations were likelier to be furloughed than higher paid, middle class luvvie jobs. White and blue collar split I bet.

white collar office jobs can obviously work from home, but they might find depending on what business they're involved in that they have far less work to do as a side effect of the pandemic & lock down. they may also have had periods on furlough.

manual occupations were curtailed during the spring 2020 lockdown, but not so much this time.  march last year my workplace sent home everyone who wasn't critical ( not just those who could WFH) and left the place with a skeleton crew, the same numbers  that would normally be covering at night or on holidays. during the winter lockdown this year , anyone who couldn't do their job from home was in as normal . same goes for all the fast food takeaways & places that closed last year. 

3 hours ago, mizfit said:

Telegraph is running with a story that the UK Gov is drawing up plans for a full lockdown with businesses being given £18k each.

1) I take it there is a magic money tree

2) why?

3) get fucked

I get having a worst case scenario plan but they literally just acknowledged vaccines worked. This can’t happen again.

What happened to the “no more lockdowns, ever” chat from a few weeks ago from certain politicians/experts. Can’t they see the damage they do to people’s mental health, or how unfair it is to shaft businesses yet again? I’m absolutely stunned at there being any appetite for another lockdown when there is a working vaccine to prevent the elderly and vulnerable from getting seriously ill or dying. Where is the justification for it? 

Edited by Thereisalight..

40 minutes ago, superbigal said:

I have been looking for the ramp up from 12 weeks gap to 8 weeks for 2nd doses for over 50s.

As announced by the UK gov last week and to be a UK wide as recommended by the JCVI

However unless i am going blind the ScotGov have no updated publication or announcement.

Anyone point me to what i am missing.  Why would ScotGov be stalling this important announcement ?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/most-vulnerable-offered-second-dose-of-covid-19-vaccine-earlier-to-help-protect-against-variants

I think Scotgov are generally absolutely fucking clueless right now. If you look at the fact devi one of their advisors is constantly pivoting from position to position it certainly doesnt look like they are getting coherent advice. This is also reflected in the constantly changing reporting and posturing from Clownshoes etc. Gregor Smith basically sold this to me with the thread the other day, they genuinely dont know whats happening. 
Say what you will about the German initial vaccine roll out and the EU fucking about, but they’ve all grabbed the bull by the horns now and seem to be strategising for a return to normality. Given how keen they were to triumph how better they were than the EU etc previously they’ve got to accept the EU is schooling them now when it comes to exit strategy planning. Fucking pcr testing for vaccinated people? Masks in summer? No clarity on what the actual levels would need to be for a total exit etc, what a complete farce. 

27 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

This is probably correct given the shut down of retail, leisure and hospitality. My anecdotal evidence is that where your white collar employers did furlough staff, it was focused around certain parts of the business. Marketing and Recruitment in particular took a massive hit. I would however wager that instances of companies taking the piss taking with furlough will be geared towards white collar jobs where people were furloughed without proper justification. 

Most white collar employees were simply told to work from home and get on with it. Some were however urloughed and ultimately made redundant. 

24 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I think Scotgov are generally absolutely fucking clueless right now. If you look at the fact devi one of their advisors is constantly pivoting from position to position it certainly doesnt look like they are getting coherent advice. This is also reflected in the constantly changing reporting and posturing from Clownshoes etc. Gregor Smith basically sold this to me with the thread the other day, they genuinely dont know whats happening. 
Say what you will about the German initial vaccine roll out and the EU fucking about, but they’ve all grabbed the bull by the horns now and seem to be strategising for a return to normality. Given how keen they were to triumph how better they were than the EU etc previously they’ve got to accept the EU is schooling them now when it comes to exit strategy planning. Fucking pcr testing for vaccinated people? Masks in summer? No clarity on what the actual levels would need to be for a total exit etc, what a complete farce. 

The EU, whilst contriving to make an utter cock and balls of procurement and initial roll out of the vaccine, accepts that the vaccines work. That's the difference. 

Meanwhile we've been far more successful in procurement and delivery, yet are taking every conceivable step we can to rubbish or ignore how effective the vaccine is. We are undermining our own world-beating* roll out with needless bedwetting and control freakery. 

*Unlike "world beating" test and trace, our vaccine rollout is genuinely amongst the best in the world. It is painful that we are happy to show off how many people we've vaccinated etc and still holding on to restrictions on people's daily lives that are looking increasingly unfair and disproportionate. 

Edited by Michael W

Is Devi paid to be an advisor?

If so it doesn’t surprise me if she’s continuing pushing lockdown, she doesn’t want to lose the gravy train

10 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

the UK vs EU vaccine rollout is beginning to remind me of the 2013 falkirk v hibs semi final , where we won the match comfortably in the first half to wave cheerio to all the hibs fans streaming out early,  no possible way that could come back to huant us ...