Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 hours ago, Aladdin said:

You would hope that they focus on vaccinations in Glasgow, shit for other areas if its at their expense but Glasgow is the largest population centre in Scotland and consistently near the top of the table for case rates.

The overarching factor has to remain risk and if that risk is age related (which we keep being told that it is), then irrespective of case levels no 18 year old in Glasgow Southside should be getting vaccinated ahead of anyone over 40 in any other part of the country.

If this DOES happen, then they have basically ripped up the JCVI template that they've been religiously following from the beginning and would lose any credibility that they have remaining.

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

The overarching factor has to remain risk and if that risk is age related (which we keep being told that it is), then irrespective of case levels no 18 year old in Glasgow Southside should be getting vaccinated ahead of anyone over 40 in any other part of the country.

If the vaccine prevents transmission, which it certainly seems like it does, then vaccinating that 18 year-old in Glasgow with its higher case rates is far more beneficial than vaccinating the 40 year-old elsewhere with low case rates.

Edited by craigkillie

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

If this DOES happen, then they have basically ripped up the JCVI template that they've been religiously following from the beginning and would lose any credibility that they have remaining.

Outside of the priority 1-9 groups the JCVI weren’t really fussed about the rest.  They stuck with age as there is minimally less risk the younger you get and it was the simplest logistically.  A healthy 40 yo isn’t measurably at any more risk than a healthy 18 yo.

There must be huge amounts of people aged between 50-65 who were vaccinated for the 1st time between 6 & 10 weeks ago.
They are now (Myself) included to receive the 2nd dose at 8 weeks.
Health Service needs to be very busy sorting those numbers out.
On the flip side as they are not using AZ for under 40s there should be shitloads available to ramp up these 2nd doses.
Mrs Fifer got the text this afternoon to move her second appointment, she now gets it this Thursday instead of in a fortnight

Hate to get the fire hydrant out for the cigars but AZ have missed out on Champions League football by a bawhair being pipped by the Philips Sport Vereniging who happen to make medical equipment. Clearly not clinical enough.

Guest Bob Mahelp

If the Uk is (apparently) sitting on 32 million vaccine doses, then Scotland's share of that should be around 2.75 million doses.....more than enough to get everyone in the country vaccinated once, and most vaccinated twice. 

So why aren't the SG talking about surge vaccinations the way that Westminster are ? 

Given that getting the vaccine into people's arms is little more than a logistical exercise, I'm disappointed at the lack of urgency from all concerned here. 

Ditch this blue envelope invitation pish, and do what England does....tell everyone between a certain age group that they can book a vaccination online, and get it fucking done. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

If the Uk is (apparently) sitting on 32 million vaccine doses, then Scotland's share of that should be around 2.75 million doses.....more than enough to get everyone in the country vaccinated once, and most vaccinated twice. 

So why aren't the SG talking about surge vaccinations the way that Westminster are ? 

Given that getting the vaccine into people's arms is little more than a logistical exercise, I'm disappointed at the lack of urgency from all concerned here. 

Ditch this blue envelope invitation pish, and do what England does....tell everyone between a certain age group that they can book a vaccination online, and get it fucking done. 

Where is the 32m figure coming from?  During the briefing on Friday  a figure of 10m was alleged.

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, Left Back said:

Where is the 32m figure coming from?  During the briefing on Friday  a figure of 10m was alleged.

I thought I read somewhere that the amount available was 32 million. Apologies if I'm confused (happens easily). 

Regardless of numbers, the principle remains the same. Ditch the blue envelope system, and allow people to book a vaccination online or by phone. 

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Regardless of numbers, the principle remains the same. Ditch the blue envelope system, and allow people to book a vaccination online or by phone. 

I've seen a phone number going around for unvaccinated Glasgow southside folk to phone to get an appointment, particularly aimed at younger people I think. I don't know how legitimate it is, I didn't investigate further as it doesn't apply to me, but the person who shared it is a pretty sensible sort. 

19 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If the vaccine prevents transmission, which it certainly seems like it does, then vaccinating that 18 year-old in Glasgow with its higher case rates is far more beneficial than vaccinating the 40 year-old elsewhere with low case rates.

13 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Outside of the priority 1-9 groups the JCVI weren’t really fussed about the rest.  They stuck with age as there is minimally less risk the younger you get and it was the simplest logistically.  A healthy 40 yo isn’t measurably at any more risk than a healthy 18 yo.

My original post stated "over 40", personally I'm 47 and as mentioned previously I haven't yet received a letter nor a phone call and neither have many of my friends who are all between the ages of 45 - 49, so if this isn't a factor, then why not just open the appointments up to anyone who wished one after we had dealt with the vulnerable and over 50's ?

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

My original post stated "over 40", personally I'm 47 and as mentioned previously I haven't yet received a letter nor a phone call and neither have many of my friends who are all between the ages of 45 - 49, so if this isn't a factor, then why not just open the appointments up to anyone who wished one after we had dealt with the vulnerable and over 50's ?

Because there wasn’t the capacity to cope with them all trying to book appointments at the same time would be my guess.

4 minutes ago, Chester Desmond said:

I've seen a phone number going around for unvaccinated Glasgow southside folk to phone to get an appointment, particularly aimed at younger people I think. I don't know how legitimate it is, I didn't investigate further as it doesn't apply to me, but the person who shared it is a pretty sensible sort. 

I’m getting the vaccine on Tuesday. In my 20s, no conditions. A lot of my friends are also, so it’s definitely legit. 

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Because there wasn’t the capacity to cope with them all trying to book appointments at the same time would be my guess.

Well, from what I'm hearing, the "Blue letter" situation appears to be an utter and complete shambles.

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 minutes ago, Chester Desmond said:

I'd like to believe that's true. 

If we're going to be faced with these 'new variant surges' going forwards, then the way the NHS in Scotland handle vaccinations has to adapt. We simply can't have a highly transmittable virus raging through relatively small geographical areas, and our response to it is firstly lockdown followed by the tediously slow sending out of blue envelopes. 

If the solution to halting transmission is vaccinate, vaccinate, vaccinate....then we feckin well have to get on with it. I refuse to believe that we can't find a much faster, streamlined, less bureaucratic way of handling vaccinations. 

42 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

18 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Proper boomer stuff of "how come a dinny get anyhin!"

I got a text yesterday advising I had an appointment. Phone up and they confirm it as 5 June. I'm under 40.

Not sure if restricting surge vaccination to pollokshields would do anything. If does look like most 30-40 year olds are going to be done in the next 4 weeks anyway.

Seems that the current thinking re variants is to step up the vaccinations in effected areas.

The blue envelope system reeks of sluggish beaurocracy as others have pointed out. Furthermore, whatever happened to the 24hr vaccinations that we've been told would be possible?