Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I guess they will cancel the Olympics although it looks like a lot of people will get the virus eventually anyway.

i still don't believe that not one person in South America has it.

Sounds like Brazil might have stepped up this morning.

14 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

One thing strikes me about recent figures, no fucking way does Russia only have a handful of cases.

The thing is, the symptoms are apparently like a flu or mild flu, so if you're the type to just see it through and not see a doctor, how do you know you've not had it? For all we know there are loads of cases in loads of countries not being reported.

My missus is a hairdresser and sees dozens of customers of differing nationalities and has had cold/flu symptoms for the last couple of days so for all we know she's had it and has just toughed it out. 

More than likely she's caught the Bad AIDS from me though. 

51 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

One thing strikes me about recent figures, no fucking way does Russia only have a handful of cases.

I know a few people who have gone to hospital asking to be tested (and willing to pay) and the hospital have point blank refused.

You don't have cases, if you're not testing for it. Good for your economy, bad for the people. Be interesting to see pneumonia death stats come December. 

South Korea have loads of cases cos they're testing 5000 people a day and actually facing up to reality (and treating it). 

Edited by Booker_d

Pleased to see some good may come of this with the news that the Olympics might be cancelled, saving us all from the most boring sports devised by man being televised wall-to-wall for a month or whatever it is.

Pleased to see some good may come of this with the news that the Olympics might be cancelled, saving us all from the most boring sports devised by man being televised wall-to-wall for a month or whatever it is.

Unpopular opinions thread for this pish.

4 hours ago, Booker_d said:

Human arrogance/ignorance/incompetence means this was never going to be controlled. Oh well.

Meh. Some folk will show symptoms of this and try to cover it up because they don't have sick pay and not working for 14 days could be catastrophic. Obviously not as catastrophic as being dead of bat flu, but you understand why people take the chance.

Given that China supposedly covered things up to begin with to protect the economy rather than the health of its population, it's clear to me that our desire for money is the biggest problem here.

14 hours ago, Worktheshaft said:
16 hours ago, ICTChris said:
One of my colleagues went to the Scotland-Italy rugby game in Rome and has been told by our Occupational Health to self-isolate for two weeks.

Seems like an overreaction. Have there been any confirmed cases in Rome yet?

One of mine was in Venice and was sent home to self-isolate for two weeks (does he have to stay in a separate room from his missus?) and I thought that was an over-reaction. Rome is just ridiculous.

18 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Meh. Some folk will show symptoms of this and try to cover it up because they don't have sick pay and not working for 14 days could be catastrophic. Obviously not as catastrophic as being dead of bat flu, but you understand why people take the chance.

Yep. No way you can trust people to self isolate especially if you have bills to pay and have no sick pay. Those that are self isolating and live with other people, what are they meant to be doing? 

My work's Seoul operation is now shut for a week. Still open here in KL. Whether that Seoul closure really will be only a week is open to speculation.

I've got holiday coming up in April and asked my boss today what the travel situation was likely to look like by then. We then had an off-the-record chat where the gaffer where we were advised it would be unwise to book flights too far into the future. April is considered too far into the future to be wise.