Coronavirus (COVID-19)

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/19284446.hibs-manager-jack-ross-says-scottish-football-rolled-over-government-calls-fans-allowed-grounds/

Even our manager is criticising the restrictions. 

16 hours ago, Elixir said:

Err... I would recommend we return to meaningful normal life as the vaccination program will and is completely changing the balance of risk and removing the need for such measures. The virus is going to be de-fanged and join many others we tolerate and which won't lead to healthcare services being 'overwhelmed'.

Or... we could choose constant reminders of this period and not move past it.

So we've gone from trying to score quick points to suggesting we bin the vaccines because it has been pointed out that measures like segregation, i.e. vaccine passports, are a terrible idea. Fantastic stuff.

Yep, it will but that's not where we are now.  

On your last sentence - nope. I am not suggesting binning the vaccination programme at all.  I was pointing out that the same perceived "discrimination" exists within the vaccination programmes as within the segregation plan.  So, if you're saying bin the segregation plan then you're saying bin the vaccination programme.  

Tories win Hartlepool by election. I'd suggest in part possibly because of their willingness to get back to a normal life? Will be interesting to see how the Scottish election goes and will the SNP take a dent for similar reasons.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm no Tory. But I think people are now just desperate to get back to normal.

7 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Never go full philpy

image.thumb.png.4a9ecfb5dea62481d0425f109702f748.png

Wonder if this mentality of feari g everything is now burned into the psyche of some.

Like you'll have people refusing to go into crowded areas for the rest of their life "just incase"/"you never know" etc.

Was in Morrisons the other day and watched a mother and son at a checkout with face masks, gloves, and a large bottle of sanitiser, washing their gloved hands with it after they packed away every item. What kind of life are they going to live over the next decade?

Tories win Hartlepool by election. I'd suggest in part possibly because of their willingness to get back to a normal life? Will be interesting to see how the Scottish election goes and will the SNP take a dent for similar reasons.
For the avoidance of doubt, I'm no Tory. But I think people are now just desperate to get back to normal.
Nothing to do with pandemic as a pattern is established in English councils. Wherever Brexit percentage was high (70% in Hartlepool) Tories major gains from Labour. Also UKIP gone so all those votes straight to tories.

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Yep, it will but that's not where we are now.  

On your last sentence - nope. I am not suggesting binning the vaccination programme at all.  I was pointing out that the same perceived "discrimination" exists within the vaccination programmes as within the segregation plan.  So, if you're saying bin the segregation plan then you're saying bin the vaccination programme.  

If we're not quite there now then err... we absolutely will be by late June/early July. Places like New York with high levels of immunity through natural infection as well as high levels of vaccination are similar. There is precisely zero realistic chance of healthcare services being overwhelmed in these places now.

And I'm not saying anything of the sort. Once the vaccine has been made available to all adults who want it - and surveys show take up will be very high - along with ample time provided for take up, there is no justification whatsoever against a return to pre-pandemic normality by late summer.

The anti-lockdown candidate got 87 votes or something. Unlikely to be a factor. It's more down to Labour being an unelectable shambles than anything else

10 minutes ago, Elixir said:

If we're not quite there now then err... we absolutely will be by late June/early July. Places like New York with high levels of immunity through natural infection as well as high levels of vaccination are similar. There is precisely zero realistic chance of healthcare services being overwhelmed in these places now.

And I'm not saying anything of the sort. Once the vaccine has been made available to all adults who want it - and surveys show take up will be very high - along with ample time provided for take up, there is no justification whatsoever against a return to pre-pandemic normality by late summer.

Did you even read the article - they are talking about events from May 19th, not late June or early July?

53 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Wonder if this mentality of feari g everything is now burned into the psyche of some.

Like you'll have people refusing to go into crowded areas for the rest of their life "just incase"/"you never know" etc.

Was in Morrisons the other day and watched a mother and son at a checkout with face masks, gloves, and a large bottle of sanitiser, washing their gloved hands with it after they packed away every item. What kind of life are they going to live over the next decade?

I fear it is, and not only the old.

As to the last para, its a pavlovian response and we might take some time to get over it - e.g. although I know that its now been proven that transmission via surfaces is minimal, I still put a wee dod of sanitiser on my hands after I get in the car after being in peoples houses for work. Go figure?

One advantage of these behaviours might be that the disgusting "go for a pish, dont wash hands and use the same fucking door handle as I am about to use" behaviour in boozers might have improved...................

I've never been to the Mosset before.  I tend not to spend too long in Moray in general.  An utter bin of a place.

Seen a few tweets from folk at that Liverpool club thing last weekend all saying they've tested negative.  Only 7 days since so the virus could still be incubating, but promising none the less.

16 hours ago, strichener said:

The fact that uptake is lower in the BAME community is through choice, unless you are suggesting that we are racially discriminating in who we are providing the vaccine to.  Your confusing two issues here, probably deliberately.

Conveniently ignoring why people in the BAME community are more likely to choose not to take a vaccine.

12 hours ago, oaksoft said:

If you want a sensible discussion with me, and I've no problem with that, drop this patronising nonsense bud.

You have absolutely no self awareness, you're probably the most patronising guy on this site. 

18 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Conveniently ignoring why people in the BAME community are more likely to choose not to take a vaccine.

Go on and educate me of each and every reason, specific to the BAME community, for not taking the vaccine.

11 minutes ago, strichener said:

Go on and educate me of each and every reason, specific to the BAME community, for not taking the vaccine.

Lol, each AND every reason? A reasonable request.

I suspect you're aware of unethical practices in the past carried out on people from the BAME community but if you're not it might be an idea to look into it yourself.