Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

America going back to the dark old days of blatant segregation. What next the back of the buses/subways only to be used by the unvaccinated? Youd think they'd have learned their lesson by now 

A bit of a big leap to equate social distancing measures to racial segregation 

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

It is.

But of course, that doesn't mean segregation in this respect isn't a ludicrous, dystopian nightmare which goes against the very basic principles of 'public health'. And let's not forget that the 'unvaccinated' disproportionately come from ethnic minority groups for a whole host of complex reasons.

Still, let's not let that get in the way of scoring a 'quick win'.

8 hours ago, Elixir said:

Real world data out of Qatar showing that Pfizer still smokes the 'South African variant' - but crucial that the second dose, i.e. completed vaccination, is given for this to happen. It's also becoming more clear that there's not much difference between Pfizer, Moderna, and AstraZeneca.

I'd like to think that would be the case.

I think we're now getting into the age groups in which a significant minority will be leading fairly chaotic lifestyles, particularly in deprived areas. People with drug/alcohol issues are going to be far less likely to turn up.for appointments. It.would be interesting to know if people turning up who are obviously under the influence would actually get vaccinated
There's definitely been people given the vaccine whilst they were, in my opinion anyway, clearly under the influence.

51 minutes ago, Elixir said:

It is.

But of course, that doesn't mean segregation in this respect isn't a ludicrous, dystopian nightmare which goes against the very basic principles of 'public health'. And let's not forget that the 'unvaccinated' disproportionately come from ethnic minority groups for a whole host of complex reasons.

Still, let's not let that get in the way of scoring a 'quick win'.

What would you recommend they do as an alternative - no social distancing?  No spectators?  Only vaccinated be allowed in? Only unvaccinated be allowed in? 

Or maybe you believe social distancing shouldn't exist at all?  

10 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
16 minutes ago, Left Back said:
A workaround for managed quarantine.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56984057

Trip advisor forums are awash with threads about quarantining in third countries before flying into the UK from red zones. It's rife and financially makes huge sense.

I didn't realise the law was that lax.  I'd assumed it would be framed "if you've been in a red-list country in the last 2 weeks you have to do managed quarantine",  not that you've flown directly from there.

ETA.  I've misread the article.  It is manged quarantine if you've been in a red-list country in the last 10 days, you don't have to have flown directly from there.

Edited by Left Back

I didn't realise the law was that lax.  I'd assumed it would be framed "if you've been in a red-list country in the last 2 weeks you have to do managed quarantine",  not that you've flown directly from there.
ETA.  I've misread the article.  It is manged quarantine if you've been in a red-list country in the last 10 days, you don't have to have flown directly from there.
Exactly you have done quarantine (allegedly and not in the uk) at a fraction of the UK cost.

On 05/05/2021 at 08:25, Michael W said:

Really wish media outlets would pick one measurement and stick to it as it's starting to become a bit confusing.

Since we aren't yet vaccinating children, we should stick with figures for the adult population. 

Vaccine supply is divvied up based on total population, though, so that is the best metric when comparing most efficient use of the supply.

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

Isn't it home quarantine if you've been in a Red List country in the past 10 days?  I thought managed quarantine would be in a hotel. 

Isn't it home quarantine if you've been in a Red List country in the past 10 days?  I thought managed quarantine would be in a hotel. 
It's hotel quarantine in Scotland or England if arriving from a Red zone within 10 days of being in the red zone country. Example shown was flying red zone to Turkey booking into accommodation there for 10 days at a fraction of our cost (thus you have "quarantined") then flying on to the UK via England so no need for hotel quarantine as you officially have not been in a red zone country in the previous 10 days. Scotland I think would still insist on hotel quarantine but flying into England would prevent that. Having said all that the list of "exempt" professions is pretty vast too.

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
12 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It's hotel quarantine in Scotland or England if arriving from a Red zone within 10 days of being in the red zone country. Example shown was flying red zone to Turkey booking into accommodation there for 10 days at a fraction of our cost (thus you have "quarantined") then flying on to the UK via England so no need for hotel quarantine as you officially have not been in a red zone country in the previous 10 days. Scotland I think would still insist on hotel quarantine but flying into England would prevent that. Having said all that the list of "exempt" professions is pretty vast too.

You still then have to self-quarantine at home once you arrive back into England.

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
15 minutes ago, hk blues said:

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

You still then have to self-quarantine at home once you arrive back into England.

Sorry, I took a short cut and meant to say Red List country in the previous 10 days before entering an exempt country and flying home from there.  

Yes you just avoid paying a fortune for hotel managed quarantine. Some resort hotels in Turkey were offering 10 days hotel fb with full use if the bar and pool for £400 including airport transfers. Unbelievably the recent "lockdown" in Turkey only applies to citizens not tourists who are still welcomed. Bonkers stuff. Technically they shouldn't leave the hotel but with fb, a bar and pool compared to a travel lodge room at Heathrow I can see the attraction assuming the additional time (basically double time quarantine if taking the 10 days at home into account ) isn't an issue.

6 hours ago, hk blues said:

It is racial segregation when reports have shown that those least likely to take the vaccine come from the BAME community.

As an aside the report had Cuomo knicker wetting about the fact that people wouldn’t want to be sitting next to someone who was unvaccinated. If they’ve had the vaccine why the fck would they really care who has or hasn’t? Nothing is 100%. This new looking down your nose at those unvaccinated needs binned asap 

Just now, Thereisalight.. said:

It is racial segregation when reports have shown that those least likely to take the vaccine come from the BAME community.

I honestly think you're looking for something that isn't there. 

I just got a blue letter in for someone who lived in my home prior to me buying it. I imagine there will be a lot of that going on contributing to a lot of missed appointments especially in cities where rentals are a bigger proportion of households. 

10 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It's a policy which indirectly discriminates against people based on their age and race, and therefore deserves to take pride of place in the nearest bin.

Doesn't the global vaccination programme do the same, along with a few other things?  You suggesting we bin that too?